Acoustat Answer Man is here

Hi guys from 1988 to 2000 this was the amplifier i used with Acoustat 1+1s - 2+2s - Spectra 22s - and Spectra 33s - all of them with a Classé DR3-VHC a little 45 watts per channel pure class A and Conrad Johnson preamps ( 3 ) sold all the system when i moved to a condo in 2000.

Attachments

• Classe DR3-VHC 01.jpg
    Classe DR3-VHC 01.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 400
  • Classe DR3-VHC 02.jpg
    Classe DR3-VHC 02.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 396
  • Classe DR3-VHC 03.jpg
    Classe DR3-VHC 03.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 391
  • Classe DR3-VHC 04.jpg
    Classe DR3-VHC 04.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 379
  • Classe DR3-VHC 05.jpg
    Classe DR3-VHC 05.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 366
  • Classe DR3-VHC 06.jpg
    Classe DR3-VHC 06.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Classé Audio DR3-VHC - A.T. Inside.JPG
    Classé Audio DR3-VHC - A.T. Inside.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Classé Audio DR3-VHC - A.T. Transfos.JPG
    Classé Audio DR3-VHC - A.T. Transfos.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 87
I have... the free stading Hologram.. cant rember the # but is was the best..... You could run any preamp an Amp combo You wonter...
Lot olded Pass amps an tube preamps...
But found if i set the Acoustats Xs...With the Sevos tube amps....Put in a biger room ..i could get the same.. but better sound with out the hologram or the Dig. Time linse.....BuT Great stuff..
I sold Carver in the 80-90s....lot of fun...in the bigger room i could get the Acoustats 10'-15' apart....the hologram is relly for speakers like 6' apart...for the best sound..
In a small room an B&W 801s 802s,M 804s.,Near,Klipsch,Mcintosh,Quad 57s....An even the the Carver AL3 ribbon.....Could not live with out the Hologram....But that was Me...
lot of other Real Audiopiles... po-po it!
Hell i have a Sunfire TGP2 here now that has the Hologram in it....
.good luck

Last edited:
I'm thinking about upgrading my two Spectra 11 pairs to a Spectra 22 pair. So I if I'm not mistaken I will need either two MK-2123 interfaces or four TTA-223 transformers. If someone has these parts for sale please send me a PM.

Yes, the conversion will require either (2) MK-2123 interfaces (wired for two panels) or (4) TTA-223 transformers. However, if you get only transformers, you will also need several resistors and capacitors to complete the high-voltage dividing network.

Hi Andy! I bought a spectra 33 back in 2004 and been on an air conditioned storage at uhaul in it's original box. Should I be concerned about it not being used in 9 yrs? The army kept me from pulling it out of storage due to deployments.

I would not be too concerned about the long storage time. You may experience a period where they might not sound their best, but this should improve within a few days of being re-energized.

I picked up a Carver C-1 two weeks for $90, hooked it up. On some stuff, it just adds a phasey sound, others, it expands the soundstage noticeably, sometimes to the point of distraction. You'll hear sounds coming from the sides of the room and when you turn your head to see how far away it is from the actual speaker, it disappears.
The "theotrical" setting (maximum holography?) is usually too much, sometimes changing the pitch.
Still, there is some stuff that really pops with SH on. I think the best example is my Chicago compilation CD. Most of the songs sound real good with it, the best being "Beginnings", the drums roll across the room, real nice.
I have a Sting cd that was recorded in "Q-Sound" that I listened to. Q-sound plus Sonic Holography? Yup. It was almost like surround sound, but then again, the sound was a bit "fuzzy", turn off the SH and the soundfield narrows, but the instruments have more definition.
The last song on Pink Floyd's "The Wall" sounds pretty creepy with SH on, I'll have to listen to the rest of the The Wall with SH on.

I picked up a Carver C-1 two weeks for $90, hooked it up. On some stuff, it just adds a phasey sound, others, it expands the soundstage noticeably, sometimes to the point of distraction. You'll hear sounds coming from the sides of the room and when you turn your head to see how far away it is from the actual speaker, it disappears.
The "theotrical" setting (maximum holography?) is usually too much, sometimes changing the pitch.
Still, there is some stuff that really pops with SH on. I think the best example is my Chicago compilation CD. Most of the songs sound real good with it, the best being "Beginnings", the drums roll across the room, real nice.
I have a Sting cd that was recorded in "Q-Sound" that I listened to. Q-sound plus Sonic Holography? Yup. It was almost like surround sound, but then again, the sound was a bit "fuzzy", turn off the SH and the soundfield narrows, but the instruments have more definition.
The last song on Pink Floyd's "The Wall" sounds pretty creepy with SH on, I'll have to listen to the rest of the The Wall with SH on.

I have an old Carver C1 and Carver amps too. I found that SH works best when the speakers are fairly close together, and less well when widely separated. My speakers are rather far apart now so I don't use the SH anymore. These days I've gone full-digital anyhow; the signal coming straight out of a Squeezebox via Toslink into a digital crossover (bypassing the old C1 entirely). I only use the C1 occasionally, when playing CD's from my old Carver CD deck.

If I understand correctly the ESL panels in the Spectra 11's are considerably narrower than the frame. I have an idea of building a narrower frame for the panel, removing the woofer box and placing a OB line array of 8" woofers beside the panel as close as physically possible (similar to purist esl proto en - calvins-audio-pages). What should one consider and what problems might arise when doing such a rebuild? Any hints on the how to best build the frame?

Can the cloth that is covering the panels be replaced with common acoustically transparent cloth, or should the original cloth be kept?

P.S. I'll be using digital XO and EQ, so driver matching is not an issue.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly the ESL panels in the Spectra 11's are considerably narrower than the frame. I have an idea of building a narrower frame for the panel, removing the woofer box and placing a OB line array of 8" woofers beside the panel as close as physically possible (similar to purist esl proto en - calvins-audio-pages). What should one consider and what problems might arise when doing such a rebuild? Any hints on the how to best build the frame?

Can the cloth that is covering the panels be replaced with common acoustically transparent cloth, or should the original cloth be kept?

P.S. I'll be using digital XO and EQ, so driver matching is not an issue.

Maybe the building of my 1+1 frames could help go visit my Flickr photo album if you wish - - - pages 1&2 - - - Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream

All the Acoustat Panels Are 9"x48" in All Spectra ...Acoustat made a 8"X48 Non-Spectra
As for what in the 11 it two horiontzal bars in the middel....biger models only Vertical bars like in all models...no cloth is best...but nothing great about the stock...your call.
Better caps in the panel crossover make Big Diff...
good luck

Maybe the building of my 1+1 frames could help go visit my Flickr photo album if you wish - - - pages 1&2 - - - Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream
Great pictures, thanks! My welding skills are not non-existent so it'll probably be a wooden frame. How is the ESL panel fastened in the frame? Do you have any pictures of the original Spectra 11 frame without protective cloth? I have yet to remove mine.

If I remove the panels I'll might as well wash them in the bath like you did. What considerations should be done in this process?

Great pictures, thanks! My welding skills are not non-existent so it'll probably be a wooden frame. How is the ESL panel fastened in the frame? Do you have any pictures of the original Spectra 11 frame without protective cloth? I have yet to remove mine.

If I remove the panels I'll might as well wash them in the bath like you did. What considerations should be done in this process?

Use VERY mild soap ( Dawn ) and rinse - rinse - rinse - many times change your water after EVERY rinse.

PS: Don't forget to remove the felt before soaking the panels.
649028668_thumb_8359a833ee8ff18e5c97d369d7a034da.jpg

Last edited:
A pair of 1+1s just became available locally at a very good price of $200, but there's a catch. One speaker makes intermittent crackling noises with no signal being applied. I've searched online for an answer, but found only issues like this when over driven. Is this a deal killer? They sound fine when playing music. Any advice would be appreciated.

A pair of 1+1s just became available locally at a very good price of $200, but there's a catch. One speaker makes intermittent crackling noises with no signal being applied. I've searched online for an answer, but found only issues like this when over driven. Is this a deal killer? They sound fine when playing music. Any advice would be appreciated.

I had that problem, but a vacuuming and using a heat gun to re-tension the membrane eliminated the problem. So I say go for it, that's a helluva lot of speaker for $200.