Acoustat Answer Man is here

Thanks so much. The more I know the better for whom ever ends up with them.
So if they have the Medallion Transformers and the C upgrade that would make them a Red Medallion? That is if I understood another post you made about different upgrades.

Do these pictures make it any easier to tell anything?

Out of curiosity, assuming they sound good, any idea what kind of value they would have? I realize it depends on, if anyone wants them. I have not seen this model anywhere for price idea.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_bb1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_bb1.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    448.9 KB · Views: 126
  • fullsizeoutput_bb2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_bb2.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Thanks so much. The more I know the better for whom ever ends up with them.
Do the Medallion Transformers tell you which Red, Blue or something else?

Do these pictures make it any easier to tell anything?

Out of curiosity, assuming they sound good, any idea what kind of value they would have? I realize it depends on, if anyone wants them but, I have not seen this model anywhere.
IIRC, the "RED" badge meant that the interface had both the medallion transformers AND the "C"-Mod. The "BLUE" badge meant just the medallion transformers.

All I can say is OMG. They sound wonderful.

This is considering they are just set down on carpet in a large room with suspended ceiling, file cabinets, exercise equipment, and recreational stuff. Nothing symmetrical in the space. Descent moded Onkyo preamp and early Aragon amp, laptop and basic wiring.

I sat for 3 hours happily listening. My wife walked in and out of her office adjacent to the room I was in. I think she was smiling because I didn't buy a pair of boat anchors. Probably she was happy because I was, I'll go with that.

I'm a tube guy so, tubes on these would be wonderful.

As I sat listening and just staring at them all I could think was, these speakers need to be in a mid century home even though they are a few years to late. Then I thought, I have just expanded my potential buyer, but someone that will listen and appreciate them. I guess I was just happy they worked as expected.

Any suggestion for listing other than E-Bay, US AudioMart I would appreciate.
They are in the Tampa Fl. area so if you know someone that wants a great deal on this pair let me know. I'm not looking to get a max return, just something to cover my efforts.

As known, they are The Monitor and have the Red Medallion upgrade on their interface, no original tube amps.
Mahogany wood with only a couple of small dings I'm going to try to touchup.
Black grill cloth in very good condition.

Not sure if this is legal here but, I can be reached at brock24252425@yahoo.com with questions. If not send me a message here.

I can't thank you enough for the information you all gave me.

Brad

If this is inappropriate the moderator can feel free to remove. I will see if there is a place to list items for sale here. Thanks again.

Yes, these interfaces definitely have the C-Mod, although the big black capacitor with the red ends is not a factory part. The C-Mod may have been done in the field.

The wire color codes on the LF transformer have me confused. These taps are used for adjusting the bass response, depending on the number of panels in the array. For your speaker, these wires should be red (2 panels), orange (three panels) and yellow (4 panels). The green, blue, and gray wires are on transformers intended for Models 6 and 8. So, for some reason your LF transformers appear to be for Models 6/8, an incorrect part. This will provide less bass boost than intended, but this might not be an issue for some listeners. Can you make out a part number printed on the transformer's black wrapper? Just curious to confirm my suspicions.

Yes, these interfaces definitely have the C-Mod, although the big black capacitor with the red ends is not a factory part. The C-Mod may have been done in the field.

The wire color codes on the LF transformer have me confused. These taps are used for adjusting the bass response, depending on the number of panels in the array. For your speaker, these wires should be red (2 panels), orange (three panels) and yellow (4 panels). The green, blue, and gray wires are on transformers intended for Models 6 and 8. So, for some reason your LF transformers appear to be for Models 6/8, an incorrect part. This will provide less bass boost than intended, but this might not be an issue for some listeners. Can you make out a part number printed on the transformer's black wrapper? Just curious to confirm my suspicions.
I took a flashlight and studied them as closely as I could and I did not find a serial number or model number on them. I’m guessing if there is it’s on the two sides I can’t access.
I may study the wires in the interface and study what you wrote and ask some questions about potential changes. But I may just leave well enough alone, because they sound good.

Hugh from Canuck Audio Mart pointed out to me that both interfaces have the Blue and Red Medallion stickers on them.
IIRC, the Blue sticker came with the in-field upgrade kit sent to us dealers. Once we installed the new Medallion transformers, we put the sticker on the back for ID.

The Red sticker was from the factory to indicate both Med & "C" Mod options. Since your interfaces already had a Blue they added the Red, again to ID both upgrades. They just left the Blue sticker.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...:p

Okay...I pulled out my decades old and smelly Acoustat dealer binder. The "C" mod was the in-field kit that came with the Blue sticker. The Medallion updates had to go to the factory, where they automatically got the "C" mod done to them also and received the Red sticker.

Last edited:
So, does that mean these had the Red upgrade and someone didn't just acquire a pair of stickers and put them on.
Not that I don't trust my fellow human but, people do some less than honest things. :eek:
I think Andy said, (well the way I understood it) was that you had Medallion transformers, just not the right ones. The Model 6 & Model 8 had (2) interfaces per speaker. I didn't know that they were different. It's been awhile.

Yes, I guess someone could have just put the Red badges on, but not sure where they got them. Who knows for sure, I guess?

I'd jump on it! Then I would have options.

Brandon
I found a pair of 6600's for $100. MK-2146 interface. Tempted to pick them up even though they are too tall to fit in the basement. 91" ceiling.
Maybe I could rebuild the panels into a 1x3 - 1x6 array, or trade for something shorter.
What would you do?
Are there common problems I can test for when I go look at them. Transformer test? Not sure if they have a power supply. What is the size of the power connector? Could I tell anything with a volt/ohm meter?

I'd jump on it! Then I would have options.

Brandon
Are there common problems I can test for when I go look at them. Transformer test? Not sure if they have a power supply. What is the size of the power connector? Could I tell anything with a volt/ohm meter?
Hopefully AcoustatAnswerMan will jump in. If they have external power supplies - and I think those do, then you could measure to see if both speakers measure the same ohms, check both the PS inputs and the speaker inputs. I would take a good set of sockets going sub-1/4" to 1/2" and a set of screwdrivers and a flashlight. I would take the covers off the interfaces and inspect carefully for burned /charred transformer connections etc.
However at that price it does not matter. You can make a profit no matter what. I would buy them and then worry about it. (Of course I have learned to repair them.)

What area are these speakers in?

Brandon

Note the interface boxes on any full-range Spectra (including the 6600) do not have a cover that can be removed for inspection. The interface box forms the attachment between base and panel array, so the speaker must be disassembled for inspection inside the interface. Note the speakers MUST be disassembled for transportation, as the frame will not tolerate the inevitable twisting motion resulting from the high mass of interface and base at one end. Years ago, I bought a used pair of Spectra 4400, and the previous owner did not follow this advice, and I had to repair the frames.

For $100 you should jump on the deal NOW. Although I would hate to see them parted-out, each of the 12 ESL panels are worth at least $100 each if in good condition. I say buy now and ask questions later, before the seller realizes these speakers are worth much more. If they are missing the "wall-wart" power supplies, they can be easily replaced. You want one that outputs 15 Volts AC (not DC), with at least a 150 mA rating.

Also note that cutting down the frames to make a Spectra 3-panel speaker will NOT be the same as a factory-built 3-panel Spectra. The Spectra 44/4400 and 66/6600 interfaces (MK-2146) provide a different equalization for the larger surface area. The primary difference will be less bass response than a standard 3-panel Spectra. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Ultimately, these speakers are rare, much sought-after, and very valuable. Even if you buy them only for re-sale, you can hardly lose.

Note the interface boxes on any full-range Spectra (including the 6600) do not have a cover that can be removed for inspection. The interface box forms the attachment between base and panel array, so the speaker must be disassembled for inspection inside the interface. Note the speakers MUST be disassembled for transportation, as the frame will not tolerate the inevitable twisting motion resulting from the high mass of interface and base at one end. Years ago, I bought a used pair of Spectra 4400, and the previous owner did not follow this advice, and I had to repair the frames.

For $100 you should jump on the deal NOW. Although I would hate to see them parted-out, each of the 12 ESL panels are worth at least $100 each if in good condition. I say buy now and ask questions later, before the seller realizes these speakers are worth much more. If they are missing the "wall-wart" power supplies, they can be easily replaced. You want one that outputs 15 Volts AC (not DC), with at least a 150 mA rating.

Also note that cutting down the frames to make a Spectra 3-panel speaker will NOT be the same as a factory-built 3-panel Spectra. The Spectra 44/4400 and 66/6600 interfaces (MK-2146) provide a different equalization for the larger surface area. The primary difference will be less bass response than a standard 3-panel Spectra. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Ultimately, these speakers are rare, much sought-after, and very valuable. Even if you buy them only for re-sale, you can hardly lose.
Thanks for the info. Brought one home tonight, picking the other up tomorrow, I'll disassemble that one before transport..
I managed to test the HV supply on the 1st one. Seems ok, I see 3500v, but I am measuring with an old Simpson 360 that has an 5000vac range.. I'm sure it is loading the supply quite a bit.
Measuring 1.9 ohms across the speaker terminals. All of my amps are rated for 4ohms... How does the impedance vs frequency look on these model 66's?
Can't wait to hear these beasts.