Abletec 53v Dual Rail 450W Supply for $20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am asking for the ablatec .....
Is it a diy ??? or you bought it???

The Abletec is the subject of this thread. See post 1 for links where to buy. Used to be $20 at Parts Express since sold out. Now can buy from eBay for $25.

Abletec 900 Watt Peak Class D Audio Amplifier Power Supply 53V DC UL Cul | eBay

Read post 1 because it also has links for the wiring harness and how to add dummy loads to the secondary voltages which must be done for it to run stable.

I have one of these supplies along with a YJ IRS2092 amp that I have never used, and I am wondering if I could use these to power a pair of tactile transducers down between 5-20Hz. I understand bus pumping might be an issue - have any of you measured the low frequency response of the amp/supply?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My latest use of this SMPS is with a nice class AB MOSFET amp. With a simple CRC filter I am getting 1mV ripple at the amp power input. The amp itself now has 0.1mV ripple at the speaker output with audio inputs grounded. Very quiet. The VHEX+ amp is good for about 90w into 8R but has superb low HD and excellent dynamics. The dual monoblock really opened up the sound stage.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/286992-irfp240-9240-amplifier-simulated-tina-41.html

557139d1467096512-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor-img_4713.jpg

Since this is a budget oriented thread, the "Un case" you see above costs $8 (2U front panel, self heatsinks for sides, plywood bottom panel ). All connections except CEI receptacle jack are on front for easy access. A users' amp.

If anyone has seen Troels Graveson's main test setup, he has his class AB amp turned around so that the back is facing out for easy access.

disc-3wc-1st-set-up.jpg

Last edited:
The Abletec is the subject of this thread. See post 1 for links where to buy. Used to be $20 at Parts Express since sold out. Now can buy from eBay for $25.

Abletec 900 Watt Peak Class D Audio Amplifier Power Supply 53V DC UL Cul | eBay

Read post 1 because it also has links for the wiring harness and how to add dummy loads to the secondary voltages which must be done for it to run stable.

You US guys are lucky... I got excited when I saw this thread but the $75 international shipping is a deal breaker.

I get the feeling some US sellers just don't want to ship.

Anyway nice thread. Seems an iNuke NU1000 would be cheaper for me!

now, what are some good ideas for actual working items to attach to the secondary voltage leads?

speaker protection board?

led light show?

USB port?

cooling fan?

pre-amp board?

bluetooth board?

I would like to do something useful with them rather than just waste the power...

so, at least some indicator leds, or maybe VU meters?

anything that can be easily attached?

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I have used the two secondary voltages for a computer fan (7.5Vdc) also used an LED with the 5.6Vdc with a resistor to go down to 2.5V. Both worked well, but neither turns off if you used the standby pins, they only turn off if the power is disconnected to the PSU.
You could use the either (with a resistor) to run a BT board or USB port, but a speaker protection and pre-amp boards typically wants 12-15Vdc
I have not tried, nor have I seen where someone tried to combine the 7.5/5.6 to get 13Vdc. Easier to just buy a small torroidal for 12-15V and play it safe.
No idea about the temp probe sensor, I took it off and threw it away on both of mine.

now, what are some good ideas for actual working items to attach to the secondary voltage leads?

speaker protection board?

led light show?

USB port?

cooling fan?

pre-amp board?

bluetooth board?

I would like to do something useful with them rather than just waste the power...

so, at least some indicator leds, or maybe VU meters?

anything that can be easily attached?

You can do whatever you would like with the aux supplies. Just keep in mind that you must still draw some minimum amount of current from them in order for the PS to remain quiet and stable. This is the primary purpose of the power resistors - not just to create heat.

Depending on what you connect, eg. a circuit with a couple of op-amps, there may not be enough current draw and you will still need to include some dissipation.

I was going to build an all active 6 channel system with these as the woofer amps, and then probably a class AB for mids, or the TDA7498 (100w) units for the mids, and Sanwu TPA3118 PBTL (30w) for the tweeters. The miniDSP can be powered with 5v to 24v (it has a built in regulator). Most class D amps with BT also have a 5v regulator as the amps can take anything up to 24v typically. Although I wonder how clean the 5.5v is, I may be better off with a linear regulated supply for that critical part as it acts as the preamp.
Dear X,
I'm still going to build D amps for my 8 channel active system and therefore I would like to know how you control the volume of the above mentioned boards that have not built-in volume regulators. Might be recommended boards with built-in pots like this?
https://www.yuan-jing.com/tda7498-class-d-stereo-amplifier-board-100w-100w?search=7498
What is your opinion about these volume regulators/pre-amp?
https://www.yuan-jing.com/pga2311-lcd-remote-volume-amp-channel-selector-board
https://www.yuan-jing.com/alps-moto...nced-x-4-balanced-x-4-channels-selector-board
AUDIOPHONICS PGA-8CH - Contrleur de volume 8 entres PGA4311 - Audiophonics
Do you use soft start modules and speaker protection boards?
Many thanks

Output voltage adjust

If you would like to adjust the outputvoltage of the Abletec SMPS, you should place a resistor parallel to R442. This specific resistor is a SMD resistor placed on the solderside near the output terminals. I used a small 0.125W resistor of 220kOhm, that lowered the outputvoltage from 52V tot 46V.

If you would like to adjust the outputvoltage of the Abletec SMPS, you should place a resistor parallel to R442. This specific resistor is a SMD resistor placed on the solderside near the output terminals. I used a small 0.125W resistor of 220kOhm, that lowered the outputvoltage from 52V tot 46V.

Wow, this is interesting and useful info! Just happened to see it now.

What might be the possible range over which you can set the main rails?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.