A-X IP Issues (split from Builders thread)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nelson Pass said:
Well, *** SPONGE BOB SQUAREPANTS GOES PREHISTORIC ***
was a mix of highs and not-so-highs. :cool:

Mr. Pass, You and my girlfriend would get along realy well. She is obsessed with SpongeBob. (almost as much as I have been with Ren and Stimpy, but I digress) She has everything from car seat covers to bubble bath , to underwear. (we wont discuss how creepy that can make me feel.)

At first, when I saw the posting about a complete kit, especially for $450 I was so exited. Simply because, it's doubtful that I will ever be able to afford one of Mr. Pass' amps in a couple lifetimes. I've been drooling over them for years now, always wanting one, but knowing I'd have to sell more a a few of my body parts on the black market to get it. When I found out that he has always been very open and unselfish with his designs, going so far as to even host a site dedicated to it, I was thrilled. Of course that was short lived, since my understanding and knowledge of electronics design and building is nill. For me, looking at a blank PCB and parts list, is like me looking at chinese. A kit would have offered me a chance to build something that I have loved and respected for a very long time, and have alot better chance at doing it right, and not abandoning it. Then I started reading more thoughout this argument and while my hopes and dreams were dashed a bit ( ok ALOT) I understand a bit more now just how patient and generous Nelson has been. Simply, DIYZone is taking complete advantage of his generous nature to the DIY community. It's a shame. only if for the fact that kits would give a chance to someone that might normally never get to enjoy something of this caliber. I personally am a hands on learner. reading books has never been something I could do and gain any real knowledge from. You put the parts in front of me, and I'll remember it for the rest of my life. Will I ever get to own one of Nelson's designs? To be honest, probably not. At the same time, have I benefited from His work? Most definately! We all have. So, thanks Nelson, for truely being one of a kind. I actually feel bad for the fact I considered the kit to begin with. Please forgive me!
:smash:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I imagine that Sponge Bob birth control would be even creepier.

As to your desire to build an XA, I suggest that you can still
accomplish that on the budget you have, particularly with
the group board buys, and have even greater satisfaction
than if you had bought the kit. I can guarantee you'll get
more support here with that approach. :cool:

Nelson Pass said:
I imagine that Sponge Bob birth control would be even creepier.

Thanks Nelson,
I'll never be able to watch that cartoon again while getting my groove on. :smash:

Ya, and in the end, I'll probably attack the Aleph, it's just not gonna be a pretty one. LOL

ps, on second thought, maybe thats how SpongeBob birth control is suposed to work.....

Mr. Pass, sorry to say that, but Sponge Bob's victim is coming back from the grave~~~

Incase anyone here is interested, there's something rather interesting developing here.

First of all, DiyZone's so called group buy had all been stalled, some for over 3 years, with wild claims such as "just missing a couple parts" and kept the people waiting forever. There's the "common platform Power amp" and "common platform pre-amp", as well as several other kits, all of them stalled. With all the group buy stalled, they actually dared to start several more group buy in the process. With that, more and more people got stuck with group buy that will never arrive.

Several people have requested refund and was either massively delayed in refund, or they were asked to use the refund credit to buy whatever they have in stock instead of cash refund.

One guy actually took them to court after several failed attempt of failed arbitrations (DiyZone always find some excuse of not arriving at arbitration hearing). He won a court order for full refund, interest and cost of suing DZ.

Some other user also observed that they seem to shift to their operation in China and seems to be quietly toning down the operation in Taiwan. Any post on his forum asking about "delivery date", "refunds", or "Status of current group buy" is automatically deteled within minutes, day or night.

On the whispers side, I have found several sources telling me about their dealings with DiyZone.

#1 Taiwan's EVOX/RIFA distributors are stuck with massive stock of RIFA and BHC caps, because DiyZone (or some called DelayZone) put forth the order but never accept the shipment, and of course never paid any of that. This seriously pissed off the RIFA's distributor in Taiwan.

#2 For some reason DZ sold the office they owned and started renting somewhere close.

#3 On some of their orders, they claimed that they had ordered a long time ago, and was waiting for delivery, inspection, matching, and etc, in fact they have not even placed an order. On the ordering of Tang-Bang 4 inch banboo fiber speakers, I was told by TB rep (I was actually chatting with them in their office) that they considered DZ's order minute, and was promptly delivered after ordering. DZ claimed that they had sent reps to TB's Factory in China for inspection, upon hearing that, TB's rep almost fell of the chair laughing, as none of them had went there at all.

#4 (rumor) Some people have reasoned that DZ delayed the common power/pre platform stuff for so long is that there were people waiting to sue him. Not for cloning the machines but for damages to their corporate and product image. This is an interesting claim, but I could not verify this, so take it with a pint (not a pinch... :p) of salt.

Honestly tho, I'd love to see Mr. Finnybear anonymous defend this...

I just received an email from Mr. Limin Wu and also from
another gentlemen in Taiwan.

Mr. Wu states that this is a one time group buy and that the
miniscule profit above parts cost is for the labor of matching
devices and such, and promises that this will cease in March.

I recall the amplifiers in the photos on his site had "Pass Aleph X"
in large lettering on the front panel. I see that this is not the
case as of this morning.

There does seem to be some misunderstanding in Taiwan (and
maybe elsewhere) about our policy, although it seems to me
that I have stated it often enough.

Ah well, this sort of thing has happened every couple of months
for the last 26 years. Not all companies companies are unethical,
as exemplified by Nakamichi, who paid 6 figures for a license to
use the Stasis design (Thanks, Mr. Yamazaki). :cool:

Is that in 100,000 or 999,999?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.