A thread for Tysen and variations on WAW / FAST

Now when we did the MTM with EL166 we did all those things you suggest. XO was much simplier and could be passive. About the same XO point as Tysen.

dave

Thanks Dave.
So if a passive crossover is chosen for the Tysen design, would it be better to mount the woofer on the front baffle....unless of course if WAF is of greater consideration than coherence !! Toeing in is perhaps always a good idea with most speakers (wide or narrow front baffle) anyway , to widen the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Could you please explain why a wide baffle reduces imaging. If it is due to diffraction from the edge, then rounding the edges and asymmetric placement of the FR driver on the baffle, with a mirror image for the second speaker can minimize ill effects of diffraction.

I'm sorry but I can't explainy why. It's just something I have heard elsewhere on the Internet. It might even be false, I don't know.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks Dave.
So if a passive crossover is chosen for the Tysen design, would it be better to mount the woofer on the front baffle....unless of course if WAF is of greater consideration than coherence !! Toeing in is perhaps always a good idea with most speakers (wide or narrow front baffle) anyway , to widen the sweet spot.

WAF was a big consideration. The woofer used is not really efficient enuff to be passively XOed. And if you moved the woofer to the front it would no longer be Tysen.

If i find myself with sufficient number of left over SDX7 we may do an MTM with the new FF85wk.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Could you please explain why a wide baffle reduces imaging. If it is due to diffraction from the edge, then rounding the edges and asymmetric placement of the FR driver on the baffle, with a mirror image for the second speaker can minimize ill effects of diffraction.

The key word there is minimize. And to truly minimize the round over should be on the order of 1/4th the total box width (or more). A skinny baffle usually gives better imaging. A skinny baffle with a big roundover/champher is even better.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is a visualization of the next iteration of "Tysen", with the new FF85wk augmented by an ML-TL with 2 Peerless 4"

After a successful test run at last diyFEST with a set of mules + my uFonkenSET and a PLLXO, we (Chris) built a dedicated set for working on a passive XO (a work in progress).

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

We haven't stopped there. This teaser got some interest when posted (somewhere on the multi-way forum).

stand-mount-MTM.gif

Chris got the cabinets to the test phase, i need to finish the matching FF85 , but here is one with the drivers loose in the box.

FF85-W14-laidLoose.jpg

We are also working on an Alpair 7 with a pair of SDX7.

dave

Cool Dave!

The 3 drivers all have seperate chambers within the enclosure? Or is the FF85WK in a small chamber within the larger box for the woofs (which would be sharing the space)?

Alpair 7 with SDX7 sounds even more exciting. But isn't the SDX7 also on the "nearly gone and no more production" list?

- Zia

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... is the FF85WK in a small chamber within the larger box for the woofs (which would be sharing the space)?

Yes. FF85 in a TL exiting out the back.

Alpair 7 with SDX7 sounds even more exciting. But isn't the SDX7 also on the "nearly gone and no more production" list?

The original copper MA cone colour (in the A5, then the A7/12, then A10.2 and A6m) was intended to be a match for the phase plugs in the SDX7.

Someone had to do this before it wasn't possible (we will be using copper A7)

THis one is also significant in that the enclosure will be a bit different (shape & construction). Chris & i are keeping details & pictures until done.

dave

Joined 2011
Paid Member
any updates on Tysen?

Hi Dave,

I recently purchased from another diyaudio member gen1 Alpair 10s (I guess that's an A10.1?), as well as a pair of 10" Vifa P25WO-8 woofers. Been searching for a suitable speaker to build, and although the A10's are probably not ideal, am interested in trying this in a Tysen type of arrangement. Any suggestions?

Dan

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
any updates on Tysen?

Tysen was designed as an illustration of a concept. Since then we have done the MTM floorstander (in this thread), an MTM stand-mount (FF85wKeN + 2 Silver Flute W14eN), a woofT for the uFonkenSET (with 2x Peerless 830870), the Facets with FF85wKeN and 4 of the Peerless (pictures of the last 2 unfinished in the 10th annual VI diyFEST thread at least), and Alpair 7.3eN with 2 SDX7eN -- probably our best speaker to date, we are holding off on pictures until they get pretty (in the works).

All you could borrow from Tysen is the idea... A10 will work nicely sealed in this case, and then a suitable box/alignment for the SEAS. Then integrate (or not). A 1st order PLLXO can likely be concocted that works out well.

Lots of people have done FASTs since Tysen was introed, so you should be able to find lots of examples for further inspiration.

dave