A Thread for those interested in PPSL enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi GM,

I think DrDyna is talking about something like this (plus the Heil radiator on top):

Regards,

Yep, that's it, but in my head it was the lower two sections with the Heil up top.

Edit: or 3 sections...I don't know, I haven't done quite as much research on these as I probably should have, so I haven't checked things like..."how big the slot needs to be to be usable up to xxxxx cycles".

Last edited:
Hi DrDyna,

: "...in my head it was the lower two sections with the Heil..."

Well, while you're at it, why stop there? :)

Regards,

I know right, I have an overactive imagination when it comes to new and interesting speaker designs, by basement is littered with random trial and error remains... :spin:

As to the slot size: AkAbak.

Akabak scares me a little. I suppose one day I'll have to sit down and try to learn how to use it.

Last edited:
Ah! Not too sure I'd want the mid-tweeter doubled up unless the rear driver's HF is rolled off, but otherwise I can't think of a good reason not to try it if you have the drivers. BTW, there is [was?] a company making a high end variant of this a decade or so ago, but don't recall the name now.

GM

Hi guys,

I thought about starting my own thread, but figured I may as well post something here first.

I'm thinking of making a PPSL enclosure with a pair of JBL GTO1214s, for PA use. Enclosure volume ~90-100L, port tuning around 30-35Hz. I've seen a standard ported design for Eminence Lab12s that follows similar specification, so I figure I'm not totally off the mark here.

I'm thinking of running the JBLs in parallel off a single channel off a Behringer EP1500, as I've found a good deal on one that has one channel blown.

I like the looks of the dual-15" sub at the start of the thread, and hope to do something similar.

Input would be appreciated

Chris

Hi Art,

I was hoping to find out if the general idea* of using car subs in a PA/party system was reasonable: I'm aware that these are rather heavy cones, but at the same time I suspect that I could get quite a lot of output for not-much money (I already have the drivers). The cone area of a pair of these drivers is roughly that of an 18"er, and these'll do about 1/2" of one-way excursion cleanly.

*it is just musing at this point: I could sell the drivers on and put the money toward a PA driver. I think I'd struggle to get similar frequency response in a relatively small cabinet, though.

Perhaps I should start my own thread on this?

Chris

Joined 2008
Paid Member
create saw dust !

It would be nice to see someone else (besides the regulars) actually build one and share the results.
I just built a pair based on my own "inside-out" theory. To be tested over the next few days.
As reccomended, I'll also start a new thread, because they aren't exactly ppsl.

Last edited:
It would be nice to see someone else (besides the regulars) actually build one and share the results.
I just built a pair based on my own "inside-out" theory. To be tested over the next few days.
As reccomended, I'll also start a new thread, because they aren't exactly ppsl.
I have drafted a design for a 2x18" PPSL, as per my thread I started, and hopefully I can get it drawn up properly (by hand as I haven't got the software/skills for rendering it on a computer!) in the near future.

I am pretty confident that it will have suitable output and sound good (although different to what I am used to and therefore may take some adjusting to!) but whether I can actually fit the drivers in easily on a box that I have commissioned and will arrive constructed, is another matter!

Well originally I was going for a 23 hz f3 at around 10 cubic feet then I took a good listen and decided that it was a little lean at that point. So I cut the box down to 7.3 cubic feet and retuned it to 30 hz with a fairly flat response ( not too peaky). I listen to edm so it was more enjoyable with a higher tuning.
All outside walls are 1" plywood and internal bracing is 3/4" glued and screwed. Duratex coating to finish.
I made it over a year ago so all my notes are nicely filed somewhere in my trash heap I call a workdesk.
I think it put out 123 db @ 37 hz with somewhere around 50 volts input in 2pi(from memory)
Sounds nice and clean all the way down to about 18 hz where motor noise becomes audible.

Following on from my build thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/242665-looking-build-2x18-enclosure-ppsl.html
the guy putting them together for me is coming up to the point where the drivers will be fitted :) (I can't wait for them to be finished, it's worse than waiting for Christmas! :p)

Before we fit the drivers, can I ask...

... is there any benefit to lining the slot itself with some sort of foam or acoustically absorbent material?

The thinking being that bass will travel through any lining due to the length of the soundwaves, but any high(er) frequency sounds that may be emitted by the motors when being worked hard would be absorbed by the lining material and reduced, meaning they would sound a little cleaner?

Any input on this suggestion would be much appreciated, thank you very much in advance! :)

Last edited:
hmm.

it couldn't hurt to absorb some woofer mechanical noises.
Thanks for the response, norman :)

I think I will try it without and see how it goes!

Annoyingly I saw a post earlier on that suggested adding three to six inches of absorbent material at the back of the slot, but I can't find it now...

(I think djk also suggested filling in the corners of the rear of the slot with fibreglass or similar??)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.