A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yep, it does, you have to either buy the ackodac base board, or have a cnc platform made to mount it and its regs on above it, but there are mounting holes for the standoffs at the corners of the ackodac

ive posted this before, but here's an old pic, i'll get a better one, one of these days with how it is now; its a better solution anyway, personally i find the b3 and its new form seems a bit ungainly. the b2 was easy and neat to case up, but lacking easy access, the new one is even more sprawling than the ackodac and i personally think the use of pinheaders for high speed digital just doesnt work. all the things that were announced some time ago are fully available already on the akd12/18

Attachments

• ackodac teflon so close 11.jpg
    ackodac teflon so close 11.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:
yeah i agree, ive actually brought this up with him before, it started and it was fine enough, but now that there is such a wide range of stuffs its a bit confusing.

yeah i recommend getting the regs, they are pretty excellent really and to improve on them you have to go to some pretty serious effort, definitely best to start with them and just play from there. ive used others briefly, but usually go back to them except for the clock which i'm always fiddling with. then if you move on, you have some tiny high performance fixed and adjustable regs to use in other projects. the akr33 is a particularly excellent linear reg based on ad797brz (or works well with lme49990 too)

there isnt really that much similar stuff. all dac related, but the naming reflects what it is. the akD12P is a DAC based on the es9012, the akD18 is a DAC based on the es9018, the akd23 based on es9023, the akU23 is a USB dac based on es9023 but with USB input. AKR are regs with akr33 being 3v3 akd3312 being dual 3v3/1v2, AKS is a transformer coupled spdif input comparator; etc etc. so look for the number and the letter that precedes it to describe the unit. personally although i havent seen the final design yet, the akd26 seems a real price/performance sweet spot. i'll be buying them for my rear channels and subs

you want the akd12p unless you want to build a single board multichannel dac. the es9012 is superb and at least at the same premier level as the 9018 except the channels are already combined for you on the die. its basically exactly that in fact. but the akm module allows you to flick a switch to map the channels of either dac how you want.

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1

Qusp: I'm interested in the FETs too, I'm in the UK.

hey sorry i missed your post above. when the gb restarts or before if you wish i can sell you some of the last i have matched up. if there is enough interest i may test the other 100 i have here for more sets. the reason for no movement probably is because opc is very busy with 2 other rather unexpectedly huge gb's for 'the wire' headphone amp and 'the wire' power amp, for which he got a lot of interest.

these are starting to wind up as he has received the pcbs and has started building them up for testing. then i expect he will take a couple weeks off before taking this on, as the effort required for such large groups is quite large.

are you referring to the FETs? If so I already received your sets quite some time ago. The reason I asked in the last post is that I'm wondering if the gb for the d1 will commence in the future so that I can figure out what to do (look for any spare pcb or print one myself etc.).
Thanks for the input. I will keep an eye on this thread in the near future for any movement.

my apologies i just checked that :eek: i hadn't linked your name with the forum handle.

yes a couple of pages ago opc mentioned that he would be doing this GB after he had finished with 'the wire' gbs, which have turned out rather large. so i would say about 1 month before this restarts again. he may supply you with a gerber i don't know youde have to ask him, although i would expect such a large high quality pcb would not be terribly cheap as a one off

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2

new GB for what? i can probably rustle up one more set of fets in 2 pairs if i go through the stuff i've already tested but missed the first round of sorting, i was looking mainly for quads at that point. i may be encouraged to test the remaining 100 i have, but it was a lot of work and i dont really have the time.

as has been mentioned, the GB for the PCBs wont restart again till after opc has finished the mammoth workload for the other 2 large GBs hes running atm, probably after a short break, but if you want fets i encourage you to get them soon as i have just sold the last of the ones i had pulled out and although i will be able to find some that are still well matched, probably quite a bit better than Nelsons 0.1vgs recommendation, but there will be a point where i nolonger have any close enough

Last edited:
1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Pedefede x 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.