A new FR product from Decware

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry to bang on about this but something else has just sprung to mind.

I walk a lot and occasionally I see a chap I've got to know, he sells really posh cars, not from a showroom or garage but from his house.

Why? Well he said that some people prefer not to buy their cars from a dealer, or showroom or garage, apparently he advertises very discreetly in a few magazines and doesn't try to sell his customers anything until they ask.

Jim

Jim,

You did a nice job on your FH3's. Well Done. Now --

What did you pay for material?

How much time did you spend? What is your time worth? $10 and hour? $20?

You do not have shipping costs. I do. I have no idea what shipping costs within the EU, but I have to figure shipping from central Arkansas to Los Angeles.

BTW, shipping materials and the time involved in packing is not inconsequential.

I am not going to eat the PayPal charges. Throw in an extra 3% on the final bill.

Now, what did your FH3's REALLY cost?

Bob

I concur Bob the couple of grand isn't very much actually, especially if you only sell one pair per month and you've got to buy more materials and live on the change.

If that man I mentioned sells one 250k car per month he must need 1% to 2% to live to the standard he does, more if its less than 1PM.

So maybe 3 grand would be more realistic.

I knew a guy at an engineering company that I worked who bought and sold high end hi-fi he sold it through a magazine though which one I never asked and that was pre-www days.

Jim

Ohh and thnx Bob, I do me little best :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BTW, shipping materials and the time involved in packing is not inconsequential.

You can say that again. FH3 flat-paks take 2-3 hrs to pack up for shipping. Inner boxes cost $9 each. I shudder to think what outer boxes would cost if i had to buy them (thankfully the Mac dealer i work at part-time has enuff big triple layer cardboard boxes from big Xerox printers), 3 rolls of packing tape.

Doing a proper job of boxes for a pair of frugel-horns would cost as much as a flat-pak. Pickup preferred. A growing number of flat-pak makers (and one would assume, flat-pak assemblers), could well make that a potential reality for many.

dave

Hi all,

Really amusing thread thanks, I wonder if someone is going to take a pair of FH3's to this DecFest thingy?
well I think BobZ (Turning Point) did offer to build at his own expense a pair of suggested BLH for exactly that purpose

If Ben, Colin and Dave are considering making finished FH3's should they ask £3,000.00 for a pair?

Jim
I don't want to second guess Colin, but since I'd be involved in any finished FH3 offered by Dave, I'd target a much lower price than that.

As BobB noted, and Dave confirmed above from our own recent project, packaging and shipping on full sized finished enclosures can easily add several hundred dollars cost.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... finished FH3 offered by Dave, I'd target a much lower price than that.

Would depend on veneer choosen, or if something exotic (like bamboo plywood), options (ie fancy feet), drivers, and would be FOB Victoria.

For a utility build i could see under $1000 (how much depending on drivers), with top driver, bamboo ply, top drivers, maybe north of $2k.

No-one has asked, so not a lot of thot given the subject.

dave

Something to ponder over anyway. Bespoke usually costs, same with furniture.

I'm not sure what value it would be taking a different pair of compact horns along to the DecFest, assuming the intention is to compare them. Since it is unlikely the cabinets will share the same design remit, or even use the same drive unit, the only objective conclusion it would be possible to reach is that they're different.

Would depend on veneer choosen, or if something exotic (like bamboo plywood), options (ie fancy feet), drivers, and would be FOB Victoria.

For a utility build i could see under $1000 (how much depending on drivers), with top driver, bamboo ply, top drivers, maybe north of $2k.

No-one has asked, so not a lot of thot given the subject.

dave

still rather less than the £3,000.00 (of course for some folks that would be a "suggested list price" - but if you order today, we'll also include the ginsu knives and citrus baller)

Hmmmm I've just been to Mr Sakura's site and 2 Gaincards and 2 Humpty's are $7,300. One sale per month would be ok, 2 would be very nice and then there's all the other stuff he sells. And we make the blessed things for next to nothing.

In the face of that 3 grand for a pair of FH3's is [pedigree] chicken feed.

Jim

Well I am not new here but, put very few post up. I will say my 2 cents worth and then leave it at that. Well number one I never liked steve he to me is always takeing everyone elses drivers or designs and makeing it to work for his good to get paid! I think he not doing things right..He keeps changeing his line of drivers and designs and to me that is all red flags. It's like the hi-fi mags. Flavor of the month. Well this month is dynaudio, next month who knows same thing. I feel bad for ed he has done no one wrong and trying to make a liveing. I would buy from ed and dave from planet 10 before steve he's to shady for me.
I will put it in a nut shell like ed did for me on the phone nice guy. We make one speaker and I am not into makeing 10 diffrent designs or upgrades. Ed does very few if that.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
well, I think 'they' have been very brave to insist on low power flea amps for so long, and with that particular tube
and to try and make a living by selling that kind of speakers that way, I find it brave too
the hifi world would poorer without, and less interesting
whether I like them or not has nothing to do with it
never bought anything either
but a thing or two have been tempting through the years
Bottlehead, they are around too, and doing fine I hope

I certainly see no reason to try and make it hard on either of them

Something that no one mentioned is Doppler distortion. I built a system about six years ago that I am still using. It combines a pair of 4 inchers in sealed boxes with a sub. At first I was running the satellites with no high-pass filter. The poor little things would flap like mad trying to reproduce the deep low notes. Although the deep bass was too faint to hear at all, it distorted the midrange and treble. When I installed an active crossover to keep the lows out of the satellites, the improvement in clarity was very noticeable - not subtle at all.

Of course getting a "solid" 20Hz out of a four inch speaker is impossible. But just making the attempt to get low bass out of a little speaker that handles mids and treble has its problems. Maybe that particular driver is immune to Doppler distortion, but I am skeptical.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.