A little more twisted than usual....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
russ this component setup is great. now, how many of your output lm3886 boards do you think can be strung along before the input devices need tweeking. would the control and power units handle 8 lm3886 chips in a mono configuration without overloading the control and power supplies. that would yield about 400 watts to the speaker. ie, 4x4 parallel then bridge for a total of eight. i currently run two line arrays with 20 3.5 inch drivers in each. as i add power, to a limit, the overall sound is improved dramatically. are boards ready to ship currently. anxiously waiting to get this project in high gear.

Something like this?

Attachments

• txo-8.png
    txo-8.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 914
tryonziess said:
russ this component setup is great. now, how many of your output lm3886 boards do you think can be strung along before the input devices need tweeking. would the control and power units handle 8 lm3886 chips in a mono configuration without overloading the control and power supplies. that would yield about 400 watts to the speaker. ie, 4x4 parallel then bridge for a total of eight. i currently run two line arrays with 20 3.5 inch drivers in each. as i add power, to a limit, the overall sound is improved dramatically. are boards ready to ship currently. anxiously waiting to get this project in high gear.

The TXD could easily drive 8 LM3886s at 100K input impedance each. The TXD should be good down to a load of around 600ohms easy. So you could theoretically drive something like 50-60 of them :) Not that you ever would... :D

You actually should be able to do more than 400W with just three in parallel for each half channel. So 6 LM3886(TPM modules) per channel. Assuming your PS is capable of supply the current. :) The TXSPS would work just fine(one per channel) but you would need to calculate the trafo accordingly.

Cheers!
Russ

ok, monday morning i am going to order these toys and have some growup fun. i assume every available configuration is easily spelled out. will 625 va at 25-0-25 work for the 300 plus. i have a few on hand. national does not specify more than 30 volts for multiple parallel or bpa. is there a land line number for asking detailed questions or just email and the forum. thanks

tryonziess said:
ok, monday morning i am going to order these toys and have some growup fun. i assume every available configuration is easily spelled out. will 625 va at 25-0-25 work for the 300 plus. i have a few on hand. national does not specify more than 30 volts for multiple parallel or bpa. is there a land line number for asking detailed questions or just email and the forum. thanks

That trafo should work just fine. The few extra volts should not hurt anything especially with three in parallel.

You can email me directly if you like.

Javin5 said:
Brian or Russ

What is the difference between the stereo version and the dual-mono version of the TXD?

The website shows both as 2 TXD Kits plus 1 LCPS Kit. Should it be 2 LCPS Kits for dual-mono?

Actually I think thats an incorrect artifact. The TXPS takes the place of the LCPS in the TXO as it has a built in regulator for the TXD (that was what the LCPS was for).

We will get that straightened out. :)

The difference is that the dual mono has two TXPS and the stereo just one. :)

Cheers!
Russ

nvrgdenuf said:
I have the stereo pair with the power supply that I had built for me and haven't even hooked up. Going different direction. Cost$126. If somebody wants them for $100 shipped email me.
drptpcpe@gmail.com

Are you sure thats not a RevC or just a pair of TPMs?

That would be a bargain for even a TXO-2. Heck its a bargain no matter how you look at it.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ/Brian:

SheldonD said:
Hi Russ I have further questions re TXD

1 . TXO-2 with LM3886

the input for each amp will be single end passive preamp output.
SheldonD

Russ White said:
Also, now that I look at my own schematic I remember that the recommended values are:

RG=2.2K RF=22.1K

You could easily get the same 6db boost for SE input by halving RG to 1.1K, 1K is certainly fine here too.

That would get you the same ~ 20V voltage gain as adjusting R1/R2 as in my previous post.

I still like my first suggestion best (because the interstage impedance remains unchanged) but either approach should produce excellent results.

But according to your Doc R1 should be omitted so that the gain can only be set for TXD with Rf and Rg ???

For TXO with RF=22K C7 and C8 need to be at least 220pf. You can go up to around 330pf with no audible penalty.

Could you explain this further what are the considerations regarding C7 and C* with respect to R22? Is larger better?

I have further questions re TXD looking at the TXD prototype pic
there is no R01 and R02 (output resistor) in the BOM you have value of 1K.

On the schematic for TPM you have input resister R6 as 3.3k, as TXO change to 221ohms.

This leads to another concern:

on page 13 of BPA-200 doc by National semiconductori they suggest input to LM3886 should be equal to R2 (TPM schematic)

if using TXO does it matter wht the individual values are for the output and TPM input as long as the total is correct?

Also R10 output from Servo should bre 10x feedback resistor R1 of LM3886.

I will be using LF412 to feed 2 LM3886.

Getting back to gain settings: to keep the proportional gain of the TXC and TPM the same: I propse to mutiply each by root 2=1.414 .

I would like to follow the guidelines of BPA-200 as well as the work you have done.

BTW in TPM BOM C7 is missing as well as the alternate 221 ohm for R6.

Thanks

Brian

Thank you for quick response.

On the new schematic it staes that R1 could be reduced, not by much though as G= (1+R1/R2) as it stands G=(1 +10/1)=11

R1 could be 9k0 to yeld 10

Lm3886 gain per data sheet should be 10 or more.

BTW I had sent some of the same questions to Russ a few days back through the DIY email. There was no answer. I have noticed a few posts about this. There may be something wrong.

Regards

Re: Brian

SheldonD said:

On the new schematic it staes that R1 could be reduced, not by much though as G= (1+R1/R2) as it stands G=(1 +10/1)=11

BTW I had sent some of the same questions to Russ a few days back through the DIY email. There was no answer. I have noticed a few posts about this. There may be something wrong.

Regards

HI Sheldon, I am sorry for my Tardy answer, I started a reply and some how sent it to drafts instead of sending it on. I was in the midst of finishing up Opus (our new DAC) etc and have been quite busy.

Which schematic are you looking at?

I am not sure why you are computing gain like that. This is like an inverting amp for calculating gain. So 10K RF and 1K RG = 10X voltage gain.

Cheers!
Russ

Look at page three of this document:

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/docs/txd/txd-doc.pdf

It should answer you questions. If it does not then please post again. :)

Remember that with the TXO the gain of the TXD module sets the gain of the entire amp. The gain for the TPMs should stay at 11 (10K + 1K) as that has produced very good results. The gain of the TPMs only effects the voltage that the TXD has to swing (which will not be much) along with the bandwidth for the power stage, too high a gain and you loose some bandwidth.

Re: Brian

SheldonD said:

Regards

Oh yes, I think i understand your post better now. That note on the schematic was made prior to me change the feedback resistor to 10K. It had bee 22.1K which also worked fine, but the 10K seems better to me. :)

10 is indeed the minimum gain, but the LM3886 seems quite happy with its little loop at a gain of 11. :) Perfectly stable.

I should have deleted the note.

I just got in from mowing the lawn so it took me a bit to recover from the heat stroke. :)

Cheers!
Russ

The value of C7 and C8(TXD) are computed to give a high pass filter with RF of the TXD. 220pf is as low as I would ever go. 280pf is fine as is 330pf. The higher the value the lower the filter and the more phase shift at higher frequencies.

C6 on the TPM also forms a low pass, but you should never use it with the TXO.

The rule for the servo resistor is that it should be "at least" 10X the FB resistor. It is absolutely fine for it to be more, at least with the op amps I am using.

This is not a BPA200 so while some of the info in that document will apply, a lot of it will not.

If you use the same parts Brian supplies with the kit (adjusted for the gain you want) you will be golden.

I would not touch the TPM, leave it at G=11, just modify the TXD.

Also, while the 3.3K resistor is fine on the non-inverting input but is optional, it does not hurt to have it there, but it can be replaced by a jumper or lower value resistor. The non-inverting input of the LM3886 has a very high impedance. The TPM standalone(not TXO) is more like a regular chipamp, where you want that 3K3 to work with C7 to form a low pass to reject high freq noise etc. In TXO that low pass would cause instability and is omitted.

Let me know if there is more you need.

Cheers!
Russ

Brian/Russ

Thanks guys.

Things are starting to clear up.

As I see it to compensate for SE (not balanced) I have a choice to increase gain at TXD and/or TPM.

Going along with your original design you had balanced the gain
across both modules to provide the least distortion. I am inclined to maintain the ratio across both.

So again: I propose to share the gain increase across both TXD and TPM. One advantage is that in general one should have circuits running near the centre of their "happy" range. Not at the boundarieswhere things like change/stolerance on components and line voltage and loads could affect things..

What I am still concerned about is the relative values of resisters as per National Semi BPA-200. Your values are out of line but I
realize the TPM is inot in Isolation but is part of a greater loop
with ths4131.

I also realize you both have a successful build but balanced.

One thought is for me to build a SE to balanced in my preamp,
And then I could just follow your successful values.
I am working on a passive premp with only a Pearl phono with external PS. I could use 4562 with unity gain. but I would brefer not to.

BRIAN/RUSS

my last post crossed yours.

I am hanging fire on parts orders because of my confusion,

One thing I can't find is the phoenix terminal posts you are using there are plent at Digikey and mouser but not exactmatch to yours (at least I can't match).

I have spent too long on this alone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.