A little more twisted than usual....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
issues with my TXO-2 build

Hello,
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to begin trouble shooting my TXO-2. I finally completed it a few days ago but shockingly at first power up it is not working properly. The TXPS seems to be working fine. The voltages test ok. 10volts at the regulated outputs.
When I connect the amp to my test speakers and turn it on it is very quiet and I have to put my ear up to the driver to hear anything. when I play music it sounds very distorted. The issue seems to be equal on both channels. what are possible cul;prits that would effect both channels? I will post a picture of the layout later tonight.
Also is it normal for this amp to be very noisy if connected to speakers and not load/xlr source?
Thanks
Kris

sts9fan said:
FIXED!
Consider me a dumbass. I accidentally used litz wire for the feedback loop. Shockingly it does not work so hot with the compression terminals. everything is up and running distortion free. Thanks guys for a wonderful product and service!

Excellent! Glad to see it all cleared up. Enjoy your amplifier, it looks like you did excellent work putting it together.

Cheers!
Russ

SMPS for Sympatico

Hi Brian & Russ,

Congratulations for the new website! It's very easy to navigate now.

I just had a look at the layouts of the Sympatico - i have to say excellent work you guys. And the shunt regulators look good and great idea btw

I had an idea you might find attractive for chaps who want to use smps for their Sympatico (when it comes out!).

In the layout, you could extend the DC out tracks from the bridge rectifier and bring them next to the respective AC input terminals.
Then add 2 more terminals for direct DC inputs , bypassing the bridge. The downside would be the small added cost for the 2 extra terminals & the trouble for redesigning the pcb's

Of course one can still solder cables directly to the DC out pads of the rectifier which would be omitted but i think the above could be neater.

Regards
Evan

Hi Evan,

What you want to do is already easily done with the Sympatico boards, just run a short piece of wire between the AC and DC pads of the rectifier if you wish to omit it. If you do this you will need observe correct polarity.

Or you can even leave the rectifier in place as you will only lose something like .4 - .5V With the rectifier in place it does not even matter what polarity you connect the DC as long as GND is correct.

Cheers!
Russ

Issue

I am having a strange issue with my TXO-2 amplifier. I finished last week and have been using it with my GR Research AV1+ 4ohm MTM speakers. It has worked wonderfully and is very quiet without music playing. Everything is great. Today I switched back in my main speakers which are Zu Driuds which are 12ohm widebanders an a super tweeter with a 12k high pass on it.
The issue is when I turn on the amp attached to the druids a massive amount of static distortion comes through. It ramps up over 2-3 seconds and almost sound like a fan winding up. This will happen with or without my ARC LS3 pre turned on. I have switched back in the GR Research speakers without switching the amp connections and they are working great.
Any Suggestions on what the issue may be?
Thanks
Kris

Re: Issue

sts9fan said:
I am having a strange issue with my TXO-2 amplifier. I finished last week and have been using it with my GR Research AV1+ 4ohm MTM speakers. It has worked wonderfully and is very quiet without music playing. Everything is great. Today I switched back in my main speakers which are Zu Driuds which are 12ohm widebanders an a super tweeter with a 12k high pass on it.
The issue is when I turn on the amp attached to the druids a massive amount of static distortion comes through. It ramps up over 2-3 seconds and almost sound like a fan winding up. This will happen with or without my ARC LS3 pre turned on. I have switched back in the GR Research speakers without switching the amp connections and they are working great.
Any Suggestions on what the issue may be?
Thanks
Kris

This is a strange one, I have never seen this before.

Do you have the zobels installed on the TPMs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.