A 3 way design study

@tktran303:
My plan is to use the Raspberry pi loaded with moode audio and or Camilla DSP with its DSP settings/Filtering connected to this DSP crossover board.
A couple of years back, I used to have moode + camilla dsp on this same raspberry pi controlling a 2 channel speaker system ( with passive crossover) and used to control everything from my mobile phone, all devices connected to the same wifi network. At the time I also had an Allo Boss I2S hat DAC board on the Pi. I used to play music from my usb pendrive, bluetooth, streaming sources like spotify, amazon prime music, Tidal, etc and change dsp settings from my PC/mobile phone.
I only think that the capabilities of this combination would have increased in the last couple of years.. If it all works out as I hope, I should be able to control the system in my living room from the kitchen, let alone sitting on the couch with a universal remote (which will be my mobile phone)... :D :p

Last edited:
much much more? how can you say that when they start at $99, for which you get a cooled, packaged product instead of a bare board !?!

Well actually I know how you can say that. They start at $99 but they keep going up as you look for more horsepower and a dependable source. If Amazon doesn't go high enough, you can look at silentpc.com which has a 14-core mini PC starting at $1650. That is how I ended up with a full AMD Ryzen workstation. but I can do my development on the workstation and then port it to one of the Amazon products when finished and start that progression over again :)

I see Pi 4 has a Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.8GHz, which, while impressive, is far from start of the art (>=256 cores). OTOH, its likely enough for your use case, unless you want unlimited FIR taps.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the BMS 4550 with me but even that is a bit heavy apart from its good technical performance
For me, part of the excitement with this new driver is that it is relatively small, light weight and cheap, all of which play a big role in reducing costs to get one if I have get one imported from abroad (as any new good driver will take eons to reach the market here and import duties here are too high).
Then, due to its smaller size and phase plug design, makes it easier to fit into MEH design, and even normal ATH horns but horn design can be optimized without worrying about a throat extension etc.. And if all that comes with a native smooth response, sufficient high frequency extension, and lower distortion across the band, I don't know what else to ask for in a compression driver.. :D

I'm ready for both :) - http://www.at-horns.eu/ath280ex-mk2.html
(Simply a flange change.)

dh-flange-front.JPG
dh-flange-back.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Audio.com.pl measure on axis, Hor 15, 30, and vertical +/- 7 degrees. I guess one could call it a listening window, of sorts. Which is better than just on axis.
Under 250Hz It's not clear to me whether they've done the baffle diffraction loss calculation/estimation.

I'd like to see another measurement, at 60 degrees at least, to see what that hexagonal arrangement of drivers are doing, and how it's interfering with the central AMT. At 30 degrees, something is start to happen.

1707813245635.png

Reference:
https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3842-monitor-audio-hyphn#laboratory

Reactions: 1 user
The main pic shows an MTM mid arrangement…..I guess they plan on offering a few options?

I LOVE the design aesthetics!!!!!…….the audiophoole community will be clamoring over this no matter how it sounds. Monitor is a solid company though….I bet it’ll sound great….and cost $27,000 per pair :ROFLMAO: