900W H-class PA Amp with Limiter

its okay Apex, my available chassis's height measures 7". I think it's 3U, right?
Now, the only problem that I might be encountering is the power transformer.
Sorting some electronics stalls in Zhenshen China, what I always find are their 24v-0-24v 400W torroidal trafos. I guess, there would be no available transformer having such secondaries in the market, unless it's especilly wound.
By the way, how do you really compute for the current rating of the transformer's secondaries from its wattage specification? Is it thru ohms law?
Let's say the given transformer secondary voltage is 80-40-0-40-80 @ 2500 watts, then its secondary current, by ohms law, should be: 2,500/160 = 15.625A.
Am I right? please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks Apex and best regards.
>Joel
Philippines

hi wg_ski,
so how true is the way I compute it in AC? is the 15.625A more or less correct?
I need the current rating of the trafo, as most of the manufacturers in the Philippines require the voltage and current specs when I make an order.
I see, my chassis is a 4U then. Actually, I took the dimension from the chassis of my GFA-555 ver1, but longer in dept for longer heatsink as I'll make this project with 6 pairs of output Qs.
Thanks dude for clarification.
Regards,
>Joel
Philippines

Actual DC current draw at full signal will be 13.5A. AC will be 1.8X this, or about 25A. This would translate to a 4kVA trafo! You will not likely draw full power - even if the PA is blasted to distortion. In practice, if it's sized to about half of this you're ok. A store bought amp would size it around 1/4 - or a 8-900VA unit. A big toroid like this can handle a factor of two "overload" for hours, and a factor of 10 for at least a few minutes. And nothing to blow out catastrophically like switchmode supplies can - it's only limited by temperature rise. 15 amp rated current would be more generous than most.

apex, i have a story about a carver like the one in your first page http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/162408-900w-h-class-pa-amp-limiter.html#post2112275

Carver amp has no weight to it at all, I remember going to dj, and yes i wa sreally young grade 8 but loved helping out and learning how to do the job, i was nuts about it. ANYWAYS at the end of the job, i was told to help pack up unplug things and clean up. As i was packing up i lifted up one amp and it was so heavy :( then i went to pick up the carver and it was soooooooo light. i was amazed at how lout and powerful it was, then i learned it was a smps amplifier ( of some sort ) also hear they were ticking time bombs too!

Moral of the story, never judge a amplifier by its looks :) lol

Actual DC current draw at full signal will be 13.5A. AC will be 1.8X this, or about 25A. This would translate to a 4kVA trafo! You will not likely draw full power - even if the PA is blasted to distortion. In practice, if it's sized to about half of this you're ok. A store bought amp would size it around 1/4 - or a 8-900VA unit. A big toroid like this can handle a factor of two "overload" for hours, and a factor of 10 for at least a few minutes. And nothing to blow out catastrophically like switchmode supplies can - it's only limited by temperature rise. 15 amp rated current would be more generous than most.

hi wg_ski,
how about an EI trafo 80v-40v-0-40v-80v @ 15A, would that be fine?
Thanks,
>Joel
Philippines

hi apexaudio
greetings H900 with mj15024 and mj15025 is heatsink OK weight is
1.8 kg should i use 4 IRF2807 for full power

thanking you
Andrew lebon

Attachments

• BILD0731.JPG
    BILD0731.JPG
    874.1 KB · Views: 2,342