• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Well if your ever near the capital your welcome to have a looksie. I have done 5 different PSUs, exhanged all parts every time, used all possible filament feeding I can think of. AC tied to gnd and elevated up to 95 V over gnd and DC regulated in two ways. The 350 reg I used that worked best was one I had in an ECC88 RIAA and it was silent there.

Elevated DC is a thing I havent tried but I dont think it will solve it.

Its a shame since the sound is promising. Transients is almost to much and bass region firm listening to it.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
680R/6K8 from cathodes to gnd and 470K in between them to wipers. Even more hum (sharp hum) and same microphonics. Magic in sound gone.

50/100 Hz hum gets rid of edgyness if i connect earthground to chassie, but the warm hum is still there

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You may see one power ground star on (-) of a big PSU cap, then a chassis star near the RCAs, and a common on a copper leaf hanging off a wooden rod near the signal circuits. That signal circuits return points ground connects to the near RCAs signal ground star with a cable. The PSU ground connects there with one cable. The mains earth prong connects to chassis at a point near its entry. The input runs from selector to audio circuitry and to output are 75 Ohm coax. Not the fat variety.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
You may see one power ground star on (-) of a big PSU cap, then a chassis star near the RCAs, and a common on a copper leaf hanging off a wooden rod near the signal circuits. That signal circuits return points ground connects to the near RCAs signal ground star with a cable. The PSU ground connects there with one cable. The mains earth prong connects to chassis at a point near its entry. The input runs from selector to audio circuitry and to output are 75 Ohm coax. Not the fat variety.

Ok, Ic. The black wires. But how does it relate to poweramp? Does that connect to earthground to? Then you should have a loop.