• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So that was just filter chokes moving about or load chokes do it too? Lots of loop area and inductance makes fields easy to pick in general. Now if you will be able to create something like this out of just interference you are in for the next Nobel prize.:D

It was. An inch further away and it would not have shown on the scope. I had both filterchokes some inch and the half from the powertranny and their the last 100 uF C didnt filter that 4-5 mV induced AC.

So, your in for the scope-art championchips now are you? Well lets see if I can match you.

I think I have a short in one of my SSHVs. Made a quick C-split-double R-double C filter to investigate hum. Smoked a 3 W 1k resistor, glowed pretty nicely for some seconds. The broken SSHV shows some 54 ohms on the input. The ther one is not shorted.

Attachments

• smoked resistor 010 (3000x2000).jpg
    smoked resistor 010 (3000x2000).jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 322
Joined 2011
Paid Member
When that "injury" happened? During some new experiment? You had shown them regs healthy in your last array of pictures. DN2540 dead?

Just now. Yes there was some smoke from that area in an earlyer test this morning. And tranny wouldnt give me the 300 VDC it usually does, some 265 instead. So I replaced the whole filterpack with chokes and all and plugged in. Fireworks. Ill replace the 2540s and measure.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Use physically small caps in the sub uF. That lessens their inductance an let them work better as decouple. Although it may was just a transient or another mishap that took one only, having the decouple is not hurting anything. Now I don't know if it was a transient that one different decouple sustained better or something random during the experiments. Probing maybe?