• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6L6GC AB2 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, after stating I was about to start construction.....The people I rent my apartment from want to move back in in a couple of weeks!

OOPS, that could slow down the build a bit. Good luck apartment hunting.

but I am committed to building this thing! I will post when I begin.

I just got some more bad news this afternoon, and I won't even know all of the details for a while. Like Chris said, I will post when I can continue. This could set a new record for lengthy builds. Its been 14 months since we started. Stay tuned.

The people I rent my apartment from want to move back in in a couple of weeks!

D'oh! Good luck!

I just got some more bad news this afternoon, and I won't even know all of the details for a while.

Dang...I hope it doesn't involve an axe or a doctor (or worse, both).

Well good luck to you both!

Dang...I hope it doesn't involve an axe or a doctor (or worse, both).

You know it. This time it is Sherris turn. She has been having weird symptoms for about a year. Pain, tingling, numbness and such on the left side of her body. Cardiologists, Neurologists, Scans, tests....Nothing. More than one told her that it was in her head, another even suggested a MRI of her head....did that too.....Nothing. A routine trip to the gyno led to an ultrasound, which found the "mass". Now we wait. This stuff is really beginning to suck!

BTW, I don't own an axe, for a good reason!

You know it. This time it is Sherris turn. She has been having weird symptoms for about a year. Pain, tingling, numbness and such on the left side of her body. Cardiologists, Neurologists, Scans, tests....Nothing. More than one told her that it was in her head, another even suggested a MRI of her head....did that too.....Nothing. A routine trip to the gyno led to an ultrasound, which found the "mass". Now we wait. This stuff is really beginning to suck!

Dang, I'm really sorry to hear that. That really does suck! I hope it is a straight-forward version of the situation. A few members of the family have been through it. Give her my best from random Internet person rknize.

I was referring to the corporate kind, but that works too. I don't own an axe either also for good reasons.

We will put Sherri on the prayer list. My momom and my wife have both been there.

Prayers to you too George. I know how it can weigh on you.

I'm terribly sorry to hear this, George. I've been there. My deepest hopes that all works out for the best.

This time it is Sherri's turn. She has been having weird symptoms for about a year. Pain, tingling, numbness and such on the left side of her body. Cardiologists, Neurologists, Scans, tests....Nothing. More than one told her that it was in her head, another even suggested a MRI of her head....did that too.....Nothing. A routine trip to the gyno led to an ultrasound, which found the "mass". Now we wait. This stuff is really beginning to suck!
George, I read your post with dismay, and sadness. First, my thoughts and prayers go out to Sherri. Next my thoughts and prayers go out to you. I am just at a loss for words at the moment. Take care of each other, take care of yourselves, and we will all pray for you. Praying for the best.

Regards, Alan

Hope Sherri gets better soon.

I know both Tubelab and Chrish have had things pop up that have slightly derailed their efforts on this project but just wanted to say I hope you guys decide to dive back in. I've been following the KT88 monoblock thread but I really think this project might meet my goals a little more easily and at a lower cost. I've really been liking the Russian 6s3p-e in my Simple SE and since a quad of these can be had at such a great price it seems like a wonderful output tube for this design. Tubelab, not sure if you've tried these tubes yourself (yet) but they seem like they would be right up your ally.

I'm still pretty green when it comes to the DIY tube thing so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be waiting for the Tubelab Universal Driver board to come out. I really hope you guys continue with this thread/project so the newbies like me can follow along!

As a P.S., would someone mind posting a quick "as we stand" summary of what has been nailed down (as much as that is possible) in this design and what still needs to be fleshed out? I've read the entire thread twice but its a lot for a newbie to get his arms around. It would be wonderful to have at least a basic summary in one place.

Last edited:
Yes, things have popped up...

Fortunately, I have found an apartment with a garage big enough for me to set up a workshop! I moved in a week ago, but have yet to set things up. Hopefully VERY SOON!

Away for a week on vacation. I am writing this as I sit by the pool in Kaua'i, Hawaii...

When I get home my university study begins, but I have 4 weeks off from my real job soon, allowing time for study, bike riding and amp building :)

Will keep all updated with progress as it happens.

Chris

As a P.S., would someone mind posting a quick "as we stand" summary of what has been nailed down

OK, I made two driver PC boards. They were both individually used to torture some output tubes at previously unseen output powers. Each was listened to in glorious mono, so I decided that it was time for the next step, stereo. With that in mind, I built the breadboard seen in post #358. The breadboard contains both driver boards, a pair of octal turret boards for the output tubes, and connections for off board power supplies and OPT's. That was last August. The breadboard has been pushed around the lab since then, but has not seen a single volt of electricity!

It is my belief that the driver boards as they exist now are good enough for use in an amplifier. I would clean up the layout a bit before having some professionally made. They are sufficient for driving just about anything in "normal" G1 grid drive. I have not explored their suitability for screen drive yet. It is my belief that they may not generate enough drive voltage for some tubes.

I have made no attempt to design a power supply yet. Before I can even think about a power supply, I need to figure out what amp I am going to build. I have had visions of everything from a 20 WPC AB2 amp using 45's to a flame throwing sweep tube monster. I will likely try a bunch of different combinations of tubes and OPT's and then build one or three different amps. Exactly when, I don't know yet.

Well I'll be watching to see what you guys come up with. Like I said above, I'd love to see something based on the Russian 6P3S-E hopefully in the 60-75 wpc range (if I get a vote :) ). I'm not really even sure what a sweep tube is, but a "flame throwing tube monster" sounds pretty exciting, if somewhat beyond my current skill level.

If I'm understanding you correctly a stereo build would require two of your universal driver boards; right? For a power supply, I'm no where near being able to build my own so I'll probably have to rip off someone else's design. Any suggestions on where to start looking for something like that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.