• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6DJ8/ECC88-SRPP Tube Preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SORRY: just read your post properly. You include Ra; I thought you had missed it. I will leave my post here as a tutorial.

If you calculate noise current for a single component then this is understood to be noise current into a short circuit. Similarly, if you calculate noise voltage this is open circuit. In either case you then may have to add whatever load the circuit imposes at that point and that will reduce the noise from the component being considered (while also adding its own noise too).

You can't simply multiply the noise current by the external impedance to get noise voltage as this ignores the internal impedance of the noise source. A 12k resistor has an internal impedance of 12k. You need to treat it as a current noise source (infinite impedance) in parallel with 12k, or as a voltage noise source (zero impedance) in series with 12k. Then do normal circuit theory calculations to get the final noise voltage or current. A valve has an internal impedance too - often the anode impedance.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
It's necessary or benefitial add an artifical center tap for heaters? If yes where have I to connect the artifical center tap for heaters, between the tx & the heater regulator?

Attachments

• heater5.jpg
    heater5.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 460
I mind that I know is to calculate a voltage divider to get the needed V from HT

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ian example B+ 250V R1 75K R2 33K = 76.389V

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. You can use an artificial centre tap if you wish but it is not necessary for low gains. For higher gains I would suggest using a dc heater supply.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for help Ian, so if I use B+ 280V

R1 75K
R2 27K
C1 47uF

I elevate heaters 75V, right?

OK I connect always after regs.:)

I suppose always connected in the positive rail, right?

The top of the pot divider (R1) goes to the HT+ and the bottom of the pot divider (R2) goes to 0V.
Resistors 1/4, 1/2, 1W or more?

Capacitor voltage rated?

Total dissipation in those two resistors is about 0.77 watts so you should use 1W types.

Since there is about 75V across the capacitor it should be rated at 100V or more.

Cheers

Ian

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello,
I really don't know where is the problem with the power amp because make a 3rd person but it's really strange that have problems with his Erno Borbely preamp with 20dBs, I have the same Erno Borbely preamp but balanced so I have two unbalanced preamps inside two chasis (one for PSU + one for preamp and regulators).
The reason to use ECC88, ECC82 & ECC81 is that I have on hand in my stash so I don't have to buy.
Kind rgds
Felipe

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You are right, first of all I need to see the power & preamp, but meanwhile I will try a sweet tube preamp for him without buy nothing only with components that I have on hand. Could you post the schematic for 88 simple anode follower?
Have a nice day,
Felipe

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.