600V bench variable supply to test transmitting valves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Izozaya,
You were right! The LF351 latched and output was close to power rail pushing the output of the regulator down to nearly 5V. Could manually unlatch it by reducing the opamp power supply to a level that the regulator worked. Just wanted to test that the circuit worked, and it does!
I have an LM358 around so will hack the PCB to accommodate the different pinout.
Shouldn't take me long so hopefully will report progress this afternoon
Cheers,
Ale

Hey, it is not a problem if you have the correct analysis and know how to fix it. :)

See if you can give the opamp a bottom rail of -5V or so instead of tying the V- to GND. This will prevent the phase reversal problem and latch up.

Next improvements you might want to look at, are (1) using a DAC for setting the reference, and (2) improving the input offset error of the opamp (better precision at low Vout values).

Keep us posted!

Last edited:
Here's a little "fail-safing" for Ale's design -- from a SuperTex application note. The LND150's will only protect the opamp to 500V so another complementary set would have to be used.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I burned up some AD825's when first working with "The Art of Electronics" design, so this would reduce anxiety when power up the circuit.

Hi Jack,
Like this? The output impedance seems below 30 ohms and exhibits a peak at 100kHz when regulating at low output voltages. Don't have the NPN model so didn't include the current limiter section. Not sure how much impact will have this part on the overall output impedance. Thoughts?
Thanks
Ale

Attachments

• 600V regulator output impedance.png
    600V regulator output impedance.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 214
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.