50Hz field effect on health?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Plus the understanding of the how our bodies actually work is increasing. The shocking fact is that only 10% of the cells in your body are eukaryotic, the rest are the hangers on that actually make you function. We are just large mobile digesters for the teeming hoardes that live on and in us. The future of medicine may well be tweaking the composition of our guests and symbiotes rather than killing swathes of them with antibiotics.

https://xkcd.com/1471/

Retsel said:
I feel concerned when I see that my exposure is above 1 volt AC, and try to get my exposure below 0.5 volt AC (this is my own preference which I cannot justify).
1 volt AC with respect to what? Note that grounding yourself reduces voltage but significantly increases current; which is worse?

I won't say any more, as SY will accuse me of troll feeding.

Compared to solar and other external radiation arriving on the surface of our Planet , what percentage is man made ?

If it's high , could that be why mankind is getting more sick with new medical problems as we "progress" ?

Solar radiation is 1000 Watts per square meter. I haven't done any calcs, but doubt everything else added up is even 0.1% of that.

Most "new diseases" are not new, rather existing issues that are redefined or that doctors have a new awareness of (autism, ADHD, etc...)

By the way, if it seems like at least half of the "new science" that comes out about health, or nutrition, or whatever, conflicts with other "science", it is often because of this:
You Can?t Trust What You Read About Nutrition | FiveThirtyEight

In short the science isn't really science, rather it is anomaly finding in (sometimes really small) data banks. This is how you get those headlines like "people who eat more almonds live longer", or whatever... lies, d$$n lies and statistics.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I remember being told by a friend about a study that was done in France in the 60's or 70s. According to him, researchers asked subjects (human - at least i think so , jeeze, maybe not!) to sing a single note that they felt came from their innermost being, or soul, or some such thing, you get the general idea. Apparently the majority of people sang a note around G-ish. They then did the same test in the US and found that the note shifted up to B-ish. Evidence that we're affected by long term exposure to things that hum at that frequency. Cool thing for a musician to think about but is it true? I've looked for evidence of that study on the web a few times but never found anything. Maybe urban myth, like alligators in NY sewers.

However, a band I was working with got a job that lasted several months. One of the guys had brought an acoustic guitar he thought might be useful for working things out in the room if needed and he leaned it up against the wall next to a window that looked out over a rooftop on which there was an air handling unit for the building. We used the guitar a couple of times the first week but then as we got access to a studio room it sat there unused for the rest of the gig. Packing up to go home the last day, my friend picked up the guitar and as he was putting it away gave it a quick strum. We both laughed as it had gone into tune with the air handling unit that was droning away outside the window.

My conclusion: stuff affects other stuff in ways we don't anticipate and often don't care about. Whether we're aware of it or not is a different story. Without a conscious benchmark it can be difficult to tell, but isn't assuming something can't be true just because you don't have proof just as unscientific as assuming it is true without proof?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
You do know that correlation is not causality?

The guitar is hardly unexpected . Metronomes get into time if left long enough, there are stories of clocks that stop the same time each week due to resonances building up in the floorboards. All explainable with the science of 150 years ago or more and easily testable.

Guys,

Especially those of you that have an EE and or Physics degree background.

I ran across this article doing a search using Google.

It is a long.
Effect of a Nighttime Magnetic Field Exposure on Sleep Patterns in Young Women

As I read the different sleep tests I noticed a common thread in the tests. To me at least the strength of the 60Hz magnetic field used in the tests was quite low, imo. Yes the magnetic field strength used in the tests may be typical for those that may exist in the average bedroom in our homes but imo that would not be the case in the OPs bedroom.

From the way the OP described, from what I assume is a high voltage step down transformer, is quite large (KVA) because he said it had large cooling fans. Also he added from inside his bed room he could hear the 50Hz hum from the windings of the , I assume, an oil filled transformer.

From the Link provided above the common magnetic field strength used for the sleep test experiments was, ( "The study was a randomized crossover trial, comparing intervention (0.5–1.0 µT above ambient levels) with ambient magnetic field").
What would your educated guess be for the magnetic field strength in the OPs bedroom from the Power transformer, including the magnetic fields from the primary and secondary mains conductors connected to the transformer, just outside his bedroom window?

Magnetic field strengths.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(magnetic_field)

I wonder why sleep tests have not been conducted with higher levels of magnetic fields? You know like in a kindergarten class room during nap time with the 60Hz 300Kv high tension 3 phase power lines singing outside the class room windows.

Last edited:
About Earthing and health effects

When the authors compared their results with the results of other studies, they acknowledge that other studies did make a finding with respect to the effect of electromagnetic radiation levels on sleep patterns.

"The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of a continuous, 60-Hz, nighttime magnetic field exposure on sleep outcomes in young women sleeping at home. Our results suggest that the intervention had no effect on sleep outcomes. This finding is inconsistent with results from laboratory-based studies, which reported significant reductions of total sleep time (range: 16–29 minutes) and sleep efficiency (range: 3–7 percent) during the exposed period (4, 6, 16), and from one home-based study, which reported significant improvements in self-reported sleep outcomes for exposed insomniacs (8). Disparities between study results may be due to different exposure protocols, settings, subject populations, or statistical variation. The exposure protocols varied in the magnetic field frequency (4–60 Hz), level (0.5–28.3 µT), intermittency (continuous vs. intermittent), and exposure area (head vs. whole body). Such properties may have different effects on sleep (16). "

In their results, they do make a finding in their observational analysis, so I don't fully understand their conclusions.

With respect to other comments.

We are bombarded with AC radiation at a wide range of frequencies. When I use a volt-ohm meter to measure my body voltage, I know that 60 hz exposure is responsible for some of that, because when I move the electric clock (which is 60 hz), my measured body voltage decreases. What I don't know is what portion of the remainder is due to 60 hz vs other frequencies (radio waves, microwaves etc.). The EMF generator in these devices is the transformer, not so much the wiring and we already know that from our experiences with audio equipment (use of snubbers in diode bridges and orientation of inductors and transformers affect audio quality),that these are important.

With respect to health effects, the studies on the earthing institute webpage show statistically significant results when earthing is applied, so the comment that there is no evidence of its effect on the body is incorrect. These are double blind studies so researcher bias should be effectively eliminated. I would be interested to know whether if the study referenced (Tworoger et al) would have compared some EMF exposure to earthed subjects it they would have found an impact on sleep patterns. Also, I don't think that the researchers state what frequency of radiation they used, although it probably was 60 hz. It would be useful to measure the EMF impact on health effects at different frequencies since different frequencies affect the body differently (read Frequency Specific Microcurrent by McMakin, which recommends how microcrurrent can be used to cause therapeutic effects of small currents at different frequencies).

I get the gist of many of the responders that either "electricity is all around us and we are not dead and I sleep each night, therefore electricity must be benign" and "I am not aware of health effects, thus such effects must not exist" or maybe "If electricity was that bad, then I would have heard about it by now." Thus, there is a healthy level of denial among the responders.

Maybe I notice a difference with my sleep patterns (I seem to manage with less sleep when earthing). But what I also seem to notice is that my risk of becoming sick is lower when I am earthing. I also observe that earthing is restorative, helping to recover from exercise workouts.

I would suggest that the deniers look at the video on the earthing institute webpage by the US postal team which uses earthing on its athletes competing in the Tour de France. They seem convinced that it makes a difference and observe much more rapid healing that earthing causes for injuries sustained during the Tour de France.

Finally, I am not going to try to convince any denier - I am not going to waste my time. I am about presenting information so that those who are not so closed minded, give it a try.

Retsel

Finally, I am not going to try to convince any denier - I am not going to waste my time. I am about presenting information so that those who are not so closed minded, give it a try.

The only person who really responded to you was jneutron. Given that they aren't favorable to your viewpoint (actually fatal to it) you may not like his answers; but this does not mean jneutron is closed minded.

Try listening to this:
YANSS 062 – Why you often believe people who see the world differently are wrong

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I would suggest that the deniers look at the video on the earthing institute webpage by the US postal team which uses earthing on its athletes competing in the Tour de France. They seem convinced that it makes a difference and observe much more rapid healing that earthing causes for injuries sustained during the Tour de France.

Retsel

Riight, cos elite athletes are not at all superstitious, playing mind games with everyone and open to suggestion. Try reading about the british track cycling team who did things scientifically, with spectacular results at last 2 olympics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.