45 SET amp Project

Victor

We all owe you a debt of gratitude for your work on this project. Very few could do what you do—It takes a special love of the music and dedication that few possess. The time, stress and work involved in researching and developing such a product is overwhelming. I suspect the demands of some, including myself, on this board made this even more difficult and may have contributed to the demise of the project.

Your idea for the Lundahl transformer was outstanding! I am surprised that some were not satisfied. The opportunity to have a custom-made transformer specific to the 45 from one of the leading manufacturers in the world was a lifetime opportunity. No such a product exists. Not just any transformer but one using their latest winding technology and an amorphous option. Wow. What a lost opportunity.

While Hashimoto makes outstanding products and there is a reason they are so popular amongst the SET crowd, they are jack of all trades type OT with multiple windings that will go unused. I can’t help but think all those extra windings might have a detrimental effect on the sound.

Even if the top of line, Hashimoto transformer were offered, I would have ordered with the new Lundahl without hesitation.

If you ever restart this project, maybe those who want a different transformer can buy their own. For me, I’m all in on the Lundahl.

Meanwhile, thank you for bringing your heart and soul into this industry and sharing your love of the music with the rest of us. It has been a true joy working with you on my last two Amplifiers.

Please take care of yourself and get well

Kind regards, Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Victor

We all owe you a debt of gratitude for your work on this project. Very few could do what you do—It takes a special love of the music and dedication that few possess. The time, stress and work involved in researching and developing such a product is overwhelming. I suspect the demands of some, including myself, on this board made this even more difficult and may have contributed to the demise of the project.

Your idea for the Lundahl transformer was outstanding! I am surprised that some were not satisfied. The opportunity to have a custom-made transformer specific to the 45 from one of the leading manufacturers in the world was a lifetime opportunity. No such a product exists. Not just any transformer but one using their latest winding technology and an amorphous option. Wow. What a lost opportunity.

While Hashimoto makes outstanding products and there is a reason they are so popular amongst the SET crowd, they are jack of all trades type OT with multiple windings that will go unused. I can’t help but think all those extra windings might have a detrimental effect on the sound.

Even if the top of line, Hashimoto transformer were offered, I would have ordered with the new Lundahl without hesitation.

If you ever restart this project, maybe those who want a different transformer can buy their own. For me, I’m all in on the Lundahl.

Meanwhile, thank you for bringing your heart and soul into this industry and sharing your love of the music with the rest of us. It has been a true joy working with you on my last two Amplifiers.

Please take care of yourself and get well

Kind regards, Rob
The last 2 comments had been deleted (not mine). As I said, Specs do matter as for any design PERIOD. The Transformers are Key for Frequency Response, Bass Slam of any Amp which in tail is the highest cost of an Amp. Price is the factor into what's Good, Better and Best so if you're going to play with the Big Boy's, then it's time to show what can be done.

yes.. it is not easy to do what i want
Hi Victor, so sorry to hear. Hope you get better and recoup enough to resume the project. By the way I am really impressed that you got Mr.Lundahl on-board to do a special transformer for this amp, with Mr Fujita (I am guessing is the designer) given full design freedom to help spec the transformer and design the circuit with ultra low distortion that would have been amazing. If ever you do come back to the project, please give consideration to the possibility of a parallel SET design, just my thinking that a parallel SET will bring the tube impedance down and possible good bass control as a consequence

The last 2 comments had been deleted (not mine). As I said, Specs do matter as for any design PERIOD. The Transformers are Key for Frequency Response, Bass Slam of any Amp which in tail is the highest cost of an Amp. Price is the factor into what's Good, Better and Best so if you're going to play with the Big Boy's, then it's time to show what can be done.
Sadly, will may never know the specs on a 45 specific lundahl with the latest winding technologies and amorphous core—minus the added costs, bulk and interference of extraneous windings.

Hello Victor

Sorry to hear you are having health challenges.

May you recover from the health challenges well and quickly without any after effects. Herewith a good recovery.

Yes, stumbled across this forum after meeting an old colleague again for years and listening to his amplifier solution with a dual triode design 2A3 at his place in Düsseldorf, Germany. The result was so stunningly beautiful and intoxicating - to die for.

The 45 tube is yes even finer in presentation, as in principle only the sweet second harmonic distortion occurs, s about -30dB - the third has a distance of about -50dB to the second - simply beautiful.

Therefore, if possible, I would also like to participate in this project. However then over a European ELEKIT Distributor, GET AUDIO from Poland to avoid the problem of customs and import sales tax.

In Europe there is to Lundahl still a tube luminary who also manufactures output transformers.

He has a transformer on offer that could be wonderfully suitable for this 45-tube project. The -3dB values are at 2.7 Hz in the bass range and 83 kHz for the high frequency range.

Here is the link to the product and his work around tube technology.
https://www.mennovanderveen.nl/index.php/nl/producten/single-ended/vdv-3050-se-detail
https://www.mennovanderveen.nl/index.php/nl/

What do you think about it?:scratch2:

Best, Waldemar

Attachments

• 3050-SE_vs02_290321_datasheet-1.pdf
    342.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 3050-SE_vs02_290321_datasheet-2.pdf
    380.8 KB · Views: 90
Lundahl : the combination of LL3720/1663 (5K/8OHM).
ll3720 IS 6k . We are using the comination of LL3720/LL1663 . This is a custom made OPT from Lundahl..
Hi Victor. Heartbroken that this project has been put on hold but I very much understand. Still hopeful that it will be resurrected as your time and other commitments allow. I keep checking back. Meanwhile, would it be possible to purchase this custom amorphous output transformer from you? I am certain others would be interested too. Thank you so much again for all you do. Rob

Hi Victor. Heartbroken that this project has been put on hold but I very much understand. Still hopeful that it will be resurrected as your time and other commitments allow. I keep checking back. Meanwhile, would it be possible to purchase this custom amorphous output transformer from you? I am certain others would be interested too. Thank you so much again for all you do. Rob
Will keep an eye out on a restart. In the meantime, I have Pre-Ordered DECWARE SEWE300B amp which looks like 2yrs as to backorders.