4 sided omni speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guy's Just wondering your thoughts on a 4 sided omni speaker? In other words a 12" wide per side 40" tall column with a fostex 103 six inches down from the top on all 4 sides. Should it sound good or not? I'll be series ing them together in pairs so a total of 8 ohms from all four speakers.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
4 per tower ...

you forgot to count the fullrange driver(s) ;)
your describtion on this is confusing, and why I asked

ahh, my english ... six inches down on all 4 sides, means one fullrange on each side, mounted six inches down
I first understood it like an array on each side :D

so, 8 drivers per speaker, right ?

needs a very big room to be placed far from all walls

can I ask the stupid question ... why ?
I would consider a low 'flooder' omni design instead
with fullrange drivers angled

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• omni flooder.png
    omni flooder.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 347
Hi Cal Good seeing you, long time is right, I'm running the 103En's with just a 68uf cap on the main line. I've had a pair for about a year and the other 6 just showed up today. I'm also using a 12" sub for the bottom end.
Why am I doing this? well when I closed off the back side of my open baffles the other night, they had better midrange and better dialog clarity, but lost all the great hf ambiance and ringyness... the cymbals sounded dead. so I figured by doing a four sided column with a speaker pointing out in all directions that It would keep the great openness sound while still having better midrange and possibly better dialog clarity. I plan on them all firing outward at the same time. and being sealed it shouldn't be out of phase?...

How about one driver on each of 2 sides, front and angled top - another twist on the "Castle" configuration in the Microtower series to which Dave alluded. I've built two pairs of dual driver Castles and quite like the spacious presentation.

One of our earliest forays into FR enclosures was with the Bert Doppenberg TQWP (BD Pipes) with only 2 FE103 per enclosures - multiple pairs were built with numerous driver variants - all were a lot of fun.

BTW, did you know that this is the 50th Anniversary of what we now call the FE103?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.