4 sided omni speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
adason - after reading post #31 above, I'd doubt if he'd be interested in trying another box of any type?

I get that for some folks dynamic drivers on OBs, or any type of planar dipole are nirvana, but what some of them don't get it it that those of us may have very good reasons and are quite content "standing up with" results obtained with conventional cabinets.

For that matter, the same could be said about line arrays
I think we all sit at home thinking ours sounds best. But in reality they probably all sound tolerable. :)

I wonder if you unwound the shell speaker and point it straight back 36"? If it would still perform the same or better/worse? It would sure be God ugly but hey, I'm ugly and perform pretty well. :D It would sure be easier to construct in wood. It would sure make for a tiny baffle too you could probably get away with 6"x 6 "

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, it would perform just about the same if unwound to a straight dagger like cabinet. There is a small amount of loss that occurs with curving it bit not much compared to losses from the stuffing in the tail end of the line. The baffle would only have to be big enough to fit the drivers. Using multiple smaller drivers is beneficial compared to one big one.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I agree that multiple small drivers are better than 1 big one, but I think single driver per enclosure would give a remarkably better sound performance than multiples in one dagger like cabinet. ;)

For a bass woofer I meant multiples are better. For fullrange part one gives better imaging. If you look at the tweeter on the B&W Nautilus it uses a straight dagger like config for the tweeter and HF driver. The poke out the back like a dagger.

Remember there's a bit more involved with the Nautilus' tapered TL Mid-range and tweeter enclosures than just the funky external shape, which I'd describe as more of a tear-drop than dagger.

I'm not at all a shill for B&W - indeed after an initial honeymoon with hearing various models in a local dealer wore off, my lasting impression is one of - "meh, if I had that kind of money to spend, it'd probably be on a Sonus Faber product" - but they did invest rather a lot more time and treasure in the Nautilus technology than most of us can even dream of, so let's not oversimplify the engineering involved.
Ultimately, I feel they are a prime example of more fabulous acoustic and production engineering than required to yield stellar results - for me the total was somewhat less than the sum of its parts.

Now to find suitable tapered round tubes..... traffic cones keep coming to mind. or Paper mache over a bowling pin... I'd have to slice it to get it back off then paste it back together again... concrete would probably be the best material...gonna have to sleep on this one. Maybe for a couple of nights.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Now to find suitable tapered round tubes..... traffic cones keep coming to mind. or Paper mache over a bowling pin... I'd have to slice it to get it back off then paste it back together again... concrete would probably be the best material...gonna have to sleep on this one. Maybe for a couple of nights.

If you are considering paper mâché why don't you use the Nautaloss spiral foam core design then? It's proven to work with the smoothest frequency response when paired with TC9FD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.