4 inch driver sounds better than $1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good lord! So many canadiens here.
To make one thing clear guys: I always supported you - go Canada go.
I remember the Canada Cup 1987 with the two heroes Gretzky & Lemieux. What a wonderful time...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe that Chris and several others might resent you placing them within such a tightly restricted category. I believe that both Chris and I much prefer the term "Cascadian."

We are, after all, "The Children of a Common Mother."
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hmmm.....that might depend on what part of Cascadia your from....;)

Actually, as long as "WE" know, it doesn't make much difference what outsiders, or the uninitiated, may choose to believe.

At the International C3* meeting, held on Planet10, the delegates have already discussed and voted, so this is no longer an item for debate.

See: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/119677-enabl-technical-discussion-93.html#post2354413

#924 mentions this briefly.

Best Regards,
TerryO

* Confidential Cascadian Congress

Last edited:
geeze, one time and a guy gets a reputation - hold on, I guess I take that back - tearing out 3 walls with the sawz-all for my kitchen reno this past winter/spring was rather a lot of fun too (certainly more so than crawling around in the attic rewiring and installing 18 pot lights) - lucky that the sciatica didn't kick in during the 6 months it took to complete the project
Sawzall!?? In these parts, they're used for finishing work-- along with bondo of course!
Don

A constructioneer buddy told me you only fins sawzakks in the US of A. In Canada you use a recip saw.

dave

Many Northwesterners, or at least those with a modicum of Viking Heritage (like dave) prefer an axe. The use of both well sharpened Double bladed and boat builder's axes allows you to build anything short of a jewelry box.

A recip is for repair, an axe is for art!

Best Regards,
TerryO

just did this

Ok, I will try it. Budget $200 Goal $1000 speakers! Name the wood and speakers. By the way I am in Canada so Creative Sound would be best for me.

Hello all!

Just did this with FR125Sr w. tweeter kit in Fonken cabinett(see pic in Full Range Recomm) - and that was so MUCH better and revealing than I ever had thought. Before I had relatively expencive Infinity speakers. But this FR125 w tweet blew it all off the field. So my high def files through Squeezbox, Dacmagic,Harman really shines. Cowboy Junkies and Neil Young is brand new for me.

Next build will be my main speaker(Alpair10 or 7) in an still undecided box.

Full Range is more revealing than trying to upsample old files to 24/196 or other such high definition tricks.

Greetings to all.

Olav

Your reaction towards fullrange speakers will depend a lot on your taste in music and your listening style. What is your proposed listening setup? what kind of music do you like? what is your average listening level?

cheers,
mymindinside
I built 2 Fostex FE 103 slightly modified recommended back loaded horn enclosure speakers at a total cost of ~EUR200 / unit (most of it for the nice wood) and for me (subjectively) the sound is very good and detailed (definitely not like ANY speaker < EUR 500) . measured frequency response is a bit "muddy", so technically not any close to perfect, but the ear can adjust for this very quickly and I like the transient performance of a broadband speaker w/o any passive X-over.
Very sad, that there is almost no one out there selling back-loaded broadband speakers, commercially there seems to be only frontloaded designs available and - only for millionaires...

I built 2 Fostex FE 103 slightly modified recommended back loaded horn enclosure speakers at a total cost of ~EUR200 / unit (most of it for the nice wood) and for me (subjectively) the sound is very good and detailed (definitely not like ANY speaker < EUR 500) . measured frequency response is a bit "muddy", so technically not any close to perfect, but the ear can adjust for this very quickly and I like the transient performance of a broadband speaker w/o any passive X-over.

Very sad, that there is almost no one out there selling back-loaded broadband speakers, commercially there seems to be only frontloaded designs available and - only for millionaires...

aside from numerous DIY/shareware designs for BLH broad-banders published here and elsewhere, there are a few commercial products ranging from under $900 USD ( Ed Schilling's Hornshoppe Horn) to rather more than that - Rethm, Lowther, etc., - not all of which are only for millionaires

aside from numerous DIY/shareware designs for BLH broad-banders published here and elsewhere, there are a few commercial products ranging from under $900 USD ( Ed Schilling's Hornshoppe Horn) to rather more than that - Rethm, Lowther, etc., - not all of which are only for millionaires

ok i have to admit you are right.
just having visited yesterday's audiovideo trade show in viennas hilton plaza

klangBilder

i could find only one (front-loaded) horn speaker manufacturer there and it was rather for the millionaire guys..
Obviously the show didn t show all that is available and the world is not only europe... yeah...

The very high end speaker companies have the advantage of proprietary drivers and the likes, or specialized materials like Wilson's M or X. At the same time, a pair of Krell bookshelf speakers retail for thousands and yet use a very familiar SEAS driver that is readily available and seen in designs aplenty. In fact I do recall a $100k+ set of speakers that use off the shelf SEAS drivers, the gimmick being that they are made of glass.

Perfect8 shatters wallet with $566,000 glass-speaker system | The Audiophiliac - CNET News These actually. Pretty perhaps but I do not believe those drivers cost any more than $3000

The very high end speaker companies have the advantage of proprietary drivers and the likes, or specialized materials like Wilson's M or X. At the same time, a pair of Krell bookshelf speakers retail for thousands and yet use a very familiar SEAS driver that is readily available and seen in designs aplenty. In fact I do recall a $100k+ set of speakers that use off the shelf SEAS drivers, the gimmick being that they are made of glass.

Perfect8 shatters wallet with $566,000 glass-speaker system | The Audiophiliac - CNET News These actually. Pretty perhaps but I do not believe those drivers cost any more than $3000

For less than $3000 dollars you could do a completely refurbished pair of Carver "Amazing" speakers, that would almost certainly run rings around those.

There is very little correlation between the cost of the componets and the retail price of a pair of speakers, a fact well known by most diy speaker builders.

Here's an example, that received a very favorable comparison between it and an owner's Karma Exquisite loudspeakers (~$85,000?):

185090d1282596842t-7th-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2010-curvedarray.jpg

The cost of the above speaker? The owner of this masterpiece claims to have gone all out and invested about $81.00 in drivers and crossover componets. It took 1st place in the 2-way class at "The Puget Sound! DIY Speaker Contest" held in Seattle a few months ago.

Best Regards,
TerryO

For less than $3000 dollars you could do a completely refurbished pair of Carver "Amazing" speakers, that would almost certainly run rings around those.

There is very little correlation between the cost of the componets and the retail price of a pair of speakers, a fact well known by most diy speaker builders.

Here's an example, that received a very favorable comparison between it and an owner's Karma Exquisite loudspeakers (~$85,000?):

185090d1282596842t-7th-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2010-curvedarray.jpg

The cost of the above speaker? The owner of this masterpiece claims to have gone all out and invested about $81.00 in drivers and crossover componets. It took 1st place in the 2-way class at "The Puget Sound! DIY Speaker Contest" held in Seattle a few months ago.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Wait!! Hold it-- in the interest of full disclosure, you neglected to include the cost of the body-filler. Lets compare apples to apples, buddy!:D
Best, Don

Wait!! Hold it-- in the interest of full disclosure, you neglected to include the cost of the body-filler. Lets compare apples to apples, buddy!:D
Best, Don

Don, IINM, Dr O is still working on Bondo he purchased in 45 Gal drum from his local Costco, so the unit cost per project is pennies. Of course none of us can accurately account for the value of labour in our DIY projects, and you've seen examples of Terry's exquisite craftsmanship .....

They cannot shatter my wallet because there is usually no 566k in it ;-)

Why not build a good system at a material cost of 1 or 2 grand and try to sell it for 1.000.000 or more ?
Goal: To find at least one sheik that is silly enough to buy the argument that no good speaker system can be any cheaper than that...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.