4 inch driver sounds better than $1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No. Only the Alpair6 has made it to paper status, the new Alpair6P. I too was able to hear something with the aluminum alloy (and object somewhat to the ones i have heard, JX92, Alpair 5, 6, 10 (A6 had the least), CHR70.1), but in the new gen2 multiformed cones (A7, A12, A10.2 and i'll guess the new A6M) Mark, to my ear, has eliminated this distraction. The multiformed alloy cones set a new state of the art for metal coned drivers IMO.

dave

Thank you Dave

The fact that B&W have nearly cult following, although clearly overpriced, seems to indicate that they are successful at meeting most people's expectations.

And the dealers too.:D

it wouldn't have been a good idea to bring my Fonkens into the shop.

It would be fun to see the looks on their faces though.:eek:

Note: Chris & i have both worked at said emporium, myself being 1 of 3 that actually put it on the map.

I don't think there have been many changes since the day you left.:confused:

jeff

Oh yes, to get rid of the xover in multiples one must use more amps. I could not go there cos I'm in deep love with my SET's.

I would agree, but Doc Bottlehead has proved that you really can "have it all!"

Here's his "SET-up" from VSAC 2008:

17.jpg

Please note that each woofer has it's own 2A3 SET amplifier, the mid-range driver has four(!) amplifiers in series and the RAAL tweeter has it's own amp.
A two channel 3-way system driven by only 18 SET amplifiers.
BTW: It sounded great!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
I'm also not a fan of B&W but I'll take any of middle B&W over full range driver speaker , be it Lowther , fostex (really dislike those).Most , all of them have decent/great 100 hz to 4-5khz and nothing beyond that. Not to rain on parade folks but you have to change your money saving mantra. You're not saving a dime. Instead of question "how can I make $1000 speaker for$200 " which is bogus and primitive one should analize goals, performance needs and expectations and if any commercial speaker up to $3000 is not up to task than consider building something special. You think $3000 is a lot ?? While you'll be chasing your speaker dream you probably spend double that in time and resources alienate your signifficant ones , get yourself divorced ;) ,have closet full of useless expensive junk ,buy more useless expensive junk , spend time on reading forums instead of listening to music, end up with boombox , broke ,discouraged and on medications.

You think $3000 is a lot ?? While you'll be chasing your speaker dream you probably spend double that in time and resources alienate your signifficant ones , get yourself divorced ;) ,have closet full of useless expensive junk ,buy more useless expensive junk , spend time on reading forums instead of listening to music, end up with boombox , broke ,discouraged and on medications.

I take it you're speaking from personal experience then?

jeff

Ok ,I stand corrected :) To OP , your quest is noble an most appropiate one .This is your lucky day because I found a pair of exceptional RS 1197 aka fostex 103 4" drivers with magic coating (can't reveal the formula) in my closet yours free for shipping cost only. PM me and I'll ship drivers ASAP but you will have to write an honest reviev ;) I alteady sold my ENABLED Lowthers and fostexes ,sorry. On the side , the most advanced evaluation of full range driver speaker I was able to get was " do you hear this saxophon tphu, tphu thing?? best tphu,tphu I ever heard"
PS . 1197 driver offer is real.

..., be it Lowther , fostex (really dislike those).

Me too.

BTW, I have sold my Spendor's for a lot of cash and bought 2 pairs of FR's, built 4 cabinets for only 1/3 of the Spendor income.
In the old days there were no Tangbands or Alpairs. Fostex & Lowther was too problematic for me. Things changed in the last years, Vifa, Visaton, TB, MarkAudio, Peerless, Dayton etc coming out with more and better FR's. It is getting better and better:cool:

And...
I'm extremely happy with my TB's in combo with my 300B SET's (full Lundahl), every CD is like a new adventure:bigeyes:

Last edited:
I have another idea . Buy Honda Civic 1999-2001 and the 6" fullrange factory speakers are the most natural , musical FR speakers I've heard. For 9 years I was not compelled to change sound system in my car and I wished my main system was sounding that good. Naturally you need to listen in the car but it's a small inconvenience for the perfomance you're getting and family peace is added bonus!

I'm not so sure that anyone in this hobby/business is quite as crazy in the same way as dear departed Harvey - by comparison, Dan is almost boring

I said almost :rolleyes:
:spin::whazzat:
Never met or had the pleasure to be in the company of Doc B, my idea of him is formed of the pic on his site of him at his workbench. Have to say the nude's/products are very tastefully done, real artsy, but from what i've seen no one comes close to the late Harvey Gizmo Rosenberg, a true eccentric, original as can be.

As are a few other crowbar wielding audio enthusiasts that come to mind!
:eek:

Best Regards,
TerryO

geeze, one time and a guy gets a reputation - hold on, I guess I take that back - tearing out 3 walls with the sawz-all for my kitchen reno this past winter/spring was rather a lot of fun too (certainly more so than crawling around in the attic rewiring and installing 18 pot lights) - lucky that the sciatica didn't kick in during the 6 months it took to complete the project

:spin::whazzat:
Never met or had the pleasure to be in the company of Doc B, my idea of him is formed of the pic on his site of him at his workbench. Have to say the nude's/products are very tastefully done, real artsy, but from what i've seen no one comes close to the late Harvey Gizmo Rosenberg, a true eccentric, original as can be.

Dan is almost as much of a sweetheart at the model in those photos - actually if Giz was still around, he'd probably like to see those roles reversed- and that would certainly not be boring

Dan is almost as much of a sweetheart at the model in those photos - actually if Giz was still around, he'd probably like to see those roles reversed- and that would certainly not be boring

Dan's a good guy, very bright and enthusiastic to say the least.

I should add that he's also very considerate. In fact, he's never yelled at me to leave, unlike all those other people!
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Good lord! So many canadiens here.
To make one thing clear guys: I always supported you - go Canada go.
I remember the Canada Cup 1987 with the two heroes Gretzky & Lemieux. What a wonderful time...

But not as wonderful as now with all the experiments involving the new fullrangers. So little money spend but sure BIG fun.
Commercial speakers for $1000? My friends here say: Pour some gasoline on & fire them up and then throw the garbage out of the window - BIG fun!:devily:

geeze, one time and a guy gets a reputation - hold on, I guess I take that back - tearing out 3 walls with the sawz-all for my kitchen reno this past winter/spring was rather a lot of fun too (certainly more so than crawling around in the attic rewiring and installing 18 pot lights) - lucky that the sciatica didn't kick in during the 6 months it took to complete the project

Chris,

If you'd provided a camping spot for the tents, a BBQ grill and a keg of decent (Canadian) Beer, you could have had the job done in a week!
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.