sa2017_chassis_5.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 432
  • sa2017_chassis_6.jpg
    sa2017_chassis_6.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 430
  • sa2017_chassis_7.jpg
    sa2017_chassis_7.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 417
After breaking a couple of 3mm hand taps, I now drill a 90 hole of the right size in a thick flat piece of wood in a drill press and use that as a jig for hand tapping.

Important to get the correct size drilled in the Aluminium too.

Haven't broken a hand tap for years. The hole in the wood keeps the tap vertical.
I use a base drill and then,after drilling,a hand tool for tapping.
Yes isn't an easy way for 90 degree angle perfect tapping.

I have only broken one tap in the few decades I have been working with aluminium, in lots of different grades.

I often drill by hand on my knees with the Al lying on a bit of hardboard.
I usually tap with the Al lying on my knees while I am seated at the work bench.
I always use vegetable oil. (Olive, sunflower, rapeseed, whatever is in the kitchen is fine).
I don't use any guides.
I must be stupid, or very sensitive.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
After breaking a couple of 3mm hand taps, I now drill a 90 hole of the right size in a thick flat piece of wood in a drill press and use that as a jig for hand tapping...

Something like this?
My screw tap needs room for the swarf. Maybe designing the wood-helper with a bigger, short hole from bottom and cut it to have room for the swarf/chips. As a side effect you can see what happens ...

BR, Toni

Attachments

• hand_tapping_helper.png
    hand_tapping_helper.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 349
Something like this?
My screw tap needs room for the swarf. Maybe designing the wood-helper with a bigger, short hole from bottom and cut it to have room for the swarf/chips. As a side effect you can see what happens ...
Mine's just a simple hole drilled to fit the tap snugly.

Of course your correct size drilled hole needs to be vertical too so best done in a drill press.

If you haven't got a drill press, find a friend with one and drill a couple of vertical holes in scrap plywood. One to fit your correct size drill and the other to fit your tap.

And thimios advice about using oil (any type) and "one turn (or less) in, one turn out" to break the swarf is important too.

That and with my 2 pieces of scrap wood, you can hand drill and tap (with crappy T handle taps) very quickly in Aluminium heatsinks.