• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Here the measurements:

Right channel
B+ 146V
Heaters 1,378V
Sinus: input 2Vpp output 4Vpp

Left channel
B+ 142,2V
Heaters 1,364V

Why have different B+ if both channels are supplied with a single 0D3? can be different heaters voltage? can be the reason I hear Left channel sounds louder than Right channel?

I'm sorry for a lot of questions.

TIA

Last edited:
Hi!

Here the measurements:

Right channel
B+ 146V
Heaters 1,378V

Left channel
B+ 142,2V
Heaters 1,364V

Seems your linestage is not out of balance.
Also your test with reversing the channels shows that it is not the line stage.
Most likely a bad wiring as Cheah already suggested.

Why have different B+ if both channels are supplied with a single 0D3?

This is the big disadvantage of filament bias, if the tubes differ in emission they draw different currents. This causes a different voltage drop across the primary. In your case it means the difference between the two tubes is about 3mA which is a lot.

When using filament bias the tubes should be tested and the current should be verified in circuit since there is no self adjustment mechanism any more as in cathode bias

Best regards

Thomas

Thanks king4joy, switched the channels still same problem Left louder than Right:mad: without the lineamp only with TVCs both channels sound the same...what do you think of the measurements?

That to me you have isolated the problem to within the line amp....only between the left and right within the line amp....then try switching left and right within the line amp (for example....tube...power to the tube....and filament....etc..etc...) ...and you will isolate the problem very soon...one can only hope....:confused::eek: