• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Rigth channel position 13th, it seems attenuator is gone because I only get 1Khz sinus when I push the attenuator.

Attachments

• DSC00388.jpg
    DSC00388.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC00389.jpg
    DSC00389.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC00390.jpg
    DSC00390.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
I have changed the 10R filament resistor from a Dale 50W WW to a pair of Ohmite Brown Devils 100W resistors. They are about 8-inches long a challenge to fit. However, the sonic improvements is well worth the effort.

img-2010 - Servimg.com - Free image hosting service

Good work, HMT!

You are using Filament Bias with your Coleman Regulators?

And these are the Brown Devils:

http://www.ohmite.com/cat/res_200.pdf

Are they the B20J10R?

The B20NJ10R would be an interesting comparison, with its Ayrton-Perry non-inductive construction.
Thanks for the report on the Resistors!

Last edited:
Hi Felipe,

I already stated two times how to proceed. I cannot help any further if you don't follow the suggestions.

1. Get the TVC to work first in the 4dB step set up. Test each setting. You apparently have bad connections. You need to fix these

2. Do frequency sweeps as suggested to get a clearer understanding of 'lack of mids and bass'

Best regards

Thomas

Hi!

So is the lack of mid/bass you mentioned gone or not? It is really hard to help with the little information you provide. I would not start to rewire the TVC until you are sure it sounds right and performs right. I did sent a detailed description how to wire for 2dB/steps. If you don't understand it please ask what exactly you don't understand.

Best regards

Thomas