200W MOSFET CFA amp

You did not say that in post 1,612, not clearly at least.
, but it’s not logical to parallel the driver for mosfets. in this case, the driver stage distortions add up because there is no additional reduction in output resistance to drive the mosfet gates.
this is a comment on the schema that was in the attachment. can repeat once again looking at that attachment.
Paralleling driver transistor with different beta, is this goos idea?
why different beta? everything is equalized by additional emitter resistors, and more current allows the driver to be in linear mode at twice the current swing.
This amp is on the web quite long time and nobody said what you say here.
and what is that supposed to mean? questions of the nuances of circuitry are not available to everyone, simply because you don’t have to delve so deeply, it’s not always possible to determine by ear ...
I will simulate it, could you point to what to take attention?
of course it is worth checking in the model, I had a similar option and it was rejected by me for the above reasons.

This statement
Yes, the more current and lower output impedance the driver works with, the better the mosfet is controlled.
do you think otherwise?
i can't catch the meaning.
I don't understand the meaning either. you can help?
why separate drivers for each pair of mosfets? next to the topic there is a similar solution - how is this justified?

I don't understand the meaning either. you can help?
why separate drivers for each pair of mosfets? next to the topic there is a similar solution - how is this justified?
The MOSFETs present capacitive load. Drivers simply charges and discharges parasitic gate capacitance. Emitter resistance influence charge/discharge time.
But,
if it charges two MOSFETs with one driver or four MOSFETs with two drivers it is all the same.
What we get in parallel configuration is additional emitter resistance to equalize the currents, therefore slowing the circuit what the constructor tend to avoid.

But,
if it charges two MOSFETs with one driver or four MOSFETs with two drivers it is all the same.
What we get in parallel configuration is additional emitter resistance to equalize the currents, therefore slowing the circuit what the constructor tend to avoid.
is that what you ask? or do you approve? It seems that the width of driver' working area is not important to you.
the author said that he would model and tell the result ....
It's better to wait than jump to conclusions.

P.S. I made my conclusions, and I'm not going to design such nonsense ....except for the case when the value of the output power is more important than the quality.

Last edited:
It is widely assumed that the value of the input capacitance given in the mosfets description corresponds to the input capacitance that is actually used in the designs, many designers subsequently fell into this trap.
waiting for simulation results...
think for yourself...
It doesn't change anything about the problem we are discussing right now.

I did some simulations with two separate drivers and two drivers paralleld.
I don't see significant differences.

Attachments

• 200W CFA-LP-test.jpg
    200W CFA-LP-test.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 200W CFA test.FFT.jpg
    200W CFA test.FFT.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 200W CFA output impedance.jpg
    200W CFA output impedance.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 120
Hi Damir sorry for the slow response I have that latest board revision 1.3.2b ... you posted you had some more available I have 6 of them and plan to used them with a balanced preamp. Though could use suggestion if I should build the balanced version or use a balanced to single ended buffer instead.
Do you have small additional balance board like in photp?
Adding a balanced to single ended buffer instead is solution too, but it will degrade the amp in some way.
The link for balance version: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/200w-mosfet-cfa-amp.243481/page-71#post-5725721
BR Damir

Attachments

• balanced add photo.jpg
    balanced add photo.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 251
  • balanced in 1.jpg
    balanced in 1.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 244
  • balanced in add-sch 1.2.jpg
    balanced in add-sch 1.2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 258