200W LLC ZVS Power Supply with FSFR2100XS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is the same as tubing, with some isolating hose/tube.

Yes, it reduces proximity effect, but needs more space, so bigger core. (Or smaller copper cross-section, but it would increase simple resistive loss.)

And if you have a bigger core, then the optimal placement of the wire is that you avoid the area where the stronger (leakage and fringing) flux arises: above gap, and between primary and secondary. In these "empty" spaces the magnetic energy can be stored without loss.

Last edited:
For this 200W converter I chose slightly bigger ferrite core ETD39 than required for that power and there is additional unused space on bobbin which can be used in a case of some additional windings isolation or larger diameter of wires.

In most application notes for this range of power and working frequencies for LLC, manufactures advice to use standards Litz wires without additional insulation (hose/tube).

For higher power and frequencies, manufactures advice to use planar transformers with PCB windings.

Fairchild provide example AN for 192W LLC converter and integrated transformer specification, Ae=107mm2 for used EER3542 core (ETD39 Ae=125mm2).

Attachments

• tr-spec-example.png
    tr-spec-example.png
    226.6 KB · Views: 235
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Yes, it reduces proximity effect, but needs more space, so bigger core. (Or smaller copper cross-section, but it would increase simple resistive loss.)

And if you have a bigger core, then the optimal placement of the wire is that you avoid the area where the stronger (leakage and fringing) flux arises: above gap, and between primary and secondary. In these "empty" spaces the magnetic energy can be stored without loss.
Thanks Pafi - this is what I learned meanwhile by reading some stuff about proximity effect.
I am aware that tubing reduces effective copper area. But under certain conditions this can be advantageous. With heat shrinked tubed litz wire I got the lowest temperature rise at 130kHz working frequency and wondered how this could be.

Voltwide,
I agree, it can help reducing temperature, just I think it could be even better if the isolated spaces were placed where the strongest flux is. By placing primary and secondary wires to opposite ends of the coil former the leakage flux can be increased without generating heat. Thanks to this number of turns can be decreased, therefore generating less heat. Not a strong effect, but it is for free.

Because the maximum frequency is quoted as 300kHz.What does "Not." mean?

300 kHz is the maximum freq of the IC, not the actually designed circuit. Max operating freq of the template design is about 180 kHz. And minimum freq, what corresponds to maximum power is about 80 kHz. This is the freq the transformer is designed for.

Not means denial answer for the preceeding question.

@savu

I didn't test this converter with such extremes, only up to around 200W without heatsink on FSFR.
I didn't find solution to make single layer PCB and to make space for heatsink because that will drastically change components placement, will have larger power loop and that will cause larger EMI emission, I tried to keep it as small as possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.