1kW Gen2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's not that bad, short pulse widths are only required either when the output is very close to the rails or when the rate of change of output voltage is close to the slew rate limit imposed by the output filter. In both cases you will already have distortion.

I started to play with a triangle modulator followed by a fast level shifter.

The comparator was the LT1711 and the isolator/level shifter a HCPL9030.
The HCPL is known as fast, but critical with.
AD has made a comparison and is stating that with noise you might cause the HCPL to go for wrong HIGH signal at the output.
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Product_Highlights/5406830898840Agilent_NVE_FMR_IsolatorsF.pdf

Up to now I was not able to force this misbehavior. HCPL9030 acts like a nice guy so far in my breadboard set up.
More difficult seems to be to settle a blameless triangle modulator for pulses below 10ns. In myexperiment the pulses are becoming instable and jittering below 10ns.
Please note that my screen shots show the triangle and the output of the HCPL, the output pulse of the LT1711 happens a few ns earlier,

First screen shot unzoomed with 50ns/Grid.
Triangle is shown with 100mV/Grid
Output of the HCPL with 2V/Grid

Attachments

• pwm_50ns.jpg
    pwm_50ns.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 873
In fact I am not convinced that it is really necessary to squeeze down the last few ns of delay.
With a IRS20955+NPN/PNP-driver I can go for roughly 200ns delay between comparator input and halfbridge output.
If I spend a lot of efforts with a HCPL level shifter and additional drivers - and have to settle all shut down functions in discrete... then I could reduce this to roughly 120ns.

...so now compare this to the group delay of the output filter of an class D amp. The typical step response is 10us-20us delayed to the input signal...
Is it really worth to squeeze the overall delay from 15us down to 14.92us and run into a complex circuit with high component count? :rolleyes:

Hi, Choco,

Beware that they are very hot small chip :D And be carefull in the experiment, they are fragile, not so tolerant like discrete designs. Better buy the DDA version (thermal pad), and design the PCB so the groundplane is also used for heatsinking this tiny hot chip. I buy all SOIC, now I have to re-buy the DDA version.
They are about the same with LM5100/5101 and HIP2100/2101

...yes I know. With my MosFets I will theoretically end up
with 500...600mW driver losses at 350kHz, which is already quite a lot for such a small casing. Probably an external PNP for gate pull down would be a reasonable countermeasure.
Speeding up the turn off and moving some losses out the IC towards external BJTs.

...yupp, if supplying the high side by bootstrapping - I think that is helpful.
But I am planning to stick to my solution with a floating flyback supply for the High Side, like in my proto.
I started to love the fully reliable high side driver supply at all load conditions no matter if clipping or not.
And it completely avoids losses in the boot strap diode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.