18TBX100 vs 2lab12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I probably made something very simple sound complicated. Sorry.

I just meant something like this, for example:

2 shallow slots on the top:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

4 shallow circles:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Wouldn't have to strap subs together all the time. They would somewhat interlock with each other.

you could use a router and a mold same size as as the top bottem,put circles/slots in it,and put some 3/8 ply on the other side .
or use these

btw with high stacks you should alsways put straps around it(specialy when the bear kicks in :p)

Last edited:
Hi kornnylike,

Not much difference:

Regards,

Attachments

• 18TBX100_Xoc1_v_epa.jpg
    18TBX100_Xoc1_v_epa.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 195
Hi kornnylike,

I'll attach a sketch of what I'm talking about, Josh Ricci did this in his OTHorn. It would be much easier for Xoc1 to add something like that to his existing drawing then for me to start from scratch. But it's a good, well documented design as it is.

Regards,

Attachments

• Xoc1_6_fold_suggested changes_1.jpg
    Xoc1_6_fold_suggested changes_1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 114
Hi kornnylike,

I'll attach a sketch of what I'm talking about, Josh Ricci did this in his OTHorn. It would be much easier for Xoc1 to add something like that to his existing drawing then for me to start from scratch. But it's a good, well documented design as it is.

Regards,

Xoc1 if you are fellowing this thread can update the 18tbx100 design as Oliver mention above. I would like to build 2.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi kornnylike

I am updating a version for you Going to run out of time today (Back to work in the morning!)

Initial screengrab attached.
Multiply the ht dims by5.88 for hornresp cm sq areas

What is the Xmech of the 18TBX100 driver as the extra panel must clear this! Also the driver will need carefull positioning to ensure the fixings for the speaker can be fitted.

Regards
Martin (Xoc1)

Attachments

• B&C 100 KL.jpg
    B&C 100 KL.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 238
Hi kornnylike

I am updating a version for you Going to run out of time today (Back to work in the morning!)

What is the Xmech of the 18TBX100 driver as the extra panel must clear this! Also the driver will need carefull positioning to ensure the fixings for the speaker can be fitted.

Regards
Martin (Xoc1)

Thanks for updating the design.

I am not sure if this is correct but I google the 18tbx100 Xmech and few websites have the Xmech @ 19mm-21mm.

Also can you put the measurements in inches

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi kornnylike,

I've had trouble too finding Xmax and Xmech for the 18TBX100, maybe we should just go with the manufacturer's Xmax of +-9mm and leave it at that. The also quote Xvar=11mm.

To quote B&C: "... These limits are customarily indicated by Xmax, the maximumlinear excursion. This value, measured in our catalogue according to AES2-1984 standard, corresponds to a maximum of 10% total harmonic distortion (THD) with a sinusoidal signal. Recent research shows that this method can yield ambiguous results, and even different numerical values for the same loudspeaker. The main limit of this measurement is that it looks at the output signal instead of the physical features of the driver itself. On the contrary, the most up-to-date instruments for distortion analysis can measure the variations in loudspeaker parameters when they are fed with high-level signals. In this way, an excursion limit can be fixed, beyond which the parameter’s variation becomes excessive. The “Xvar” value reported in our data (generally after the traditional “Xmax” value) is measured this way. Beyond this excursion limit, the magnetic field seen by the voice coil, or the total suspension compliance, or both, drops to less than 50% of their small signal value, producing high distortion levels, strong variations from small signal behaviour and power compression. The new technique yields different results from the standard measurement based on THD."

Regards,

Hi kornnylike,

I've had trouble too finding Xmax and Xmech for the 18TBX100, maybe we should just go with the manufacturer's Xmax of +-9mm and leave it at that. The also quote Xvar=11mm.

Regards,

Oliver the Xvar 11mm is what I was going to post for the Xmech but i was not sure, so I googled 18tbx100 Xmech and found the above info from post #133 and 134.

Last edited:
Hi Kornylike & TB46
Plans attached in mm and inches (Last time I was asked to set out anything in inches in the UK was over 25 years ago!)
I am interested in why you think there is advantage in adding the ramp and reflector / flare to the TH. You really need to use Akabak to Sim up the speaker with that much accuracy. Extra dimensions added to the fold detail for that purpose if anyone is interested enough to do a sim.;)
Regards Martin (Xoc1)

Attachments

• 18in 30hz - 6 Fold TH Assy.PDF
    107.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 18in 30hz - 6 Fold TH Assy Inch.PDF
    105.5 KB · Views: 74
Hi Xoc1,

Thanks for providing a revised drawing for your 6 Fold TH. I agree, there will only be slight differences, but it certainly is nice to have your great drawing to look at. A quick try in Hornresp seems to indicate a small improvement in the impulse response. I'm setting S1 to 6 and S5 to 2957.64 and L45 to Exp. To me your 6 Fold TH looks like the perfect fit for the 18TBX100 (even without any revisons).

There also seems to be still some debate about mounting the driver to the horn with a mounting plate, providing the full cone diameter in the mounting plate, and a reduced entry into the horn. ScreamerUSA did this in his Furybox. This would create a small coupling chamber between driver and horn, which again may be beneficial, but only measurements could tell the difference at high power.

Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.