16Hz for church organ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks. I can't make much of it. Better luck for Brian.

This might be getting irritating for Bach On, but a stable means of measurement is crucial in making sense of speakers. Ears have a role in tuning, but not for the basic set-up.

Ben

We got all the speakers out of the chamber last night. Sheet rock and insulation went up. Put conduit through the floor. I hope to run wires today. I may also do some measurements with both bass boxes connected. I'll try to do them separate and together.

My de-soldering supplies should come today. Then I'll try to do brain surgery on that Rolls preamp.

I'm perfectly fine with posting any and all data within this thread that will improve our chances of getting a better sounding organ.

Bach On

Hi Bach On,

Post #982: "... I'll try to do them separate and together.

My de-soldering supplies should come today. Then I'll try to do brain surgery on that Rolls preamp...."

- Try the big bass boxes together to check for phasing; when it's correct they should sound louder.

- It would be good if you could take a picture of the electronics prior to surgery and after.

Gotta run.... :)

Regards,

Hi Bach On,

Post #982: "... I'll try to do them separate and together.

My de-soldering supplies should come today. Then I'll try to do brain surgery on that Rolls preamp...."

- Try the big bass boxes together to check for phasing; when it's correct they should sound louder.

- It would be good if you could take a picture of the electronics prior to surgery and after.

Gotta run.... :)

Regards,

Here's some pics of the naked Rolls circuit board. I circled the 10 caps I'm planning on changing out.

The caps.jpg

I just noticed I have 11 caps circled. I'll have to double check those.

Here's the back side of the board. Looks pretty well done.

The backside.jpg

Yep. I'll check phasing again. (Got a brand new 9 volt battery, Mark.)

I'm going to have to try the bass boxes together just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Made labels for all the cables this morning. I'll attach them to both ends and run the wires to their correct positions. The cords to the amps have Speakon connectors at one end and spade connectors on the speaker ends.

I also made a light to go in the speaker chamber. Need to turn a little light on the subject when I'm working up there. I'll put an inline switch on the cord. Not sophisticated, but it should work fine.

I've discovered that some of the screws on the terminals of the Allen speakers are missing. Need to see if I can find replacements that will work.

I'm not sure what to do about the door yet. I'm going to wait on treatment until the speakers are fully done.

Our organ tech is bringing a switch that will power on the amps when the switch on the organ is turned on. ($338.00 :mad: - out of my pocket.) But the Sound Engine will be kept on all the time. It will also have an uninterruptible power supply. So I've got to do some more tweaking with the electrical connections. There's an electrical outlet in the closet. But it is ungrounded. I've got so figure out what I can do there. I'm not comfortable plugging delicate electronics to an ungrounded line. Surge protectors are planned for all lines.

That's about all I'll get to today. Got choir practice tonight.

Bach On

P.S. Hope you're having a great trip, Oliver.

Last edited:
Hi Bach On,

Post #985: "...There's an electrical outlet in the closet. But it is ungrounded..."

From a safety viewpoint you might consider a GFCI outlet, it should be clearly labled "Ungrounded" (if no safety ground is connected) and "GFCI". Additional regular outlets can be connected to the output terminals of the GFCI outlet (they have input (line) and output (load) terminals just for this purpose), these additional outlets are then also GFCI protected, and also have to be labled. Alway check your local codes.

120 Volt 15 Amp GFCI Outlet With LED - White

Surge protectors are also a good idea, in case of an UPS they will already be build in. Some UPS will not work correctly without a ground, so that is something else to watch for.

Thanks for the pictures of the Rolls board. Looks like everything is clearly labled through-hole circuitry, so the surgery should not be too hard.

Regards,

P.S.: We're back from our trip, it was just great. Found a mess when I got home though. Anyway, such is life. :)

Just finished some new measurements in the Sanctuary of the two bass boxes.

First, for the REW fans. I did measurements on the box with the two Dayton drivers.
I just tried to upload it but the forum software says it is an invalid file type.

Here are the measurements in TrueRTA. Mike about 8 feet from front of speaker.

16 Hz.

Dayton16Hz.JPG

32 Hz

Dayton32Hz.JPG

64 Hz

Dayton64Hz.JPG

More in next post.

Bach On

Ron that switched outlet seems only slightly over priced. By a factor of say 4 times.

What magic does it do for you?

It's a Peterson switch that will turn the amps on and off when the power switch on the organ is used.

He's charging me the full marked up retail price. Guess that's what I get for tossing this project to him. He's really disappointed me.

BO

There is still way too much odd-order distortion in that RTA @16 Hz..

+1 to Brian's comments esp. regarding odd-order.

Subjectively, how loud are you playing them? How much louder or softer during actual organ playing?

Great to see the initial data. But nothing definitive until you look at the input to the speakers, or at least the input to the amp(s) that feed the speakers. Just takes an audio cable looping back to where the mic-system plugs in or the audio input to your computer. Simple as that.

A good way to post the REW files is as jpg images. Just click on the pictograph outside the top-left corner ("Capture") which is there to take a snap-shot of the the graph; then name and save the file.

With your test set-up, a more diagnostic set is more like 16, 28, 50 Hz.

Exciting stuff.

Ben

Last edited:
For comparison purposes, I ran 32 Hz RTA curves to show distortion in my 1955 1.4 cu foot AR-1 with the 1965 tired-out amp. The first curve is somewhat loud and the second curve is about as loud as 32 Hz ever plays in my modest-sized music room. dB marks are all relative.

16 Hz traces are kind of pushing it for this small box, but not too much worse than the 32 Hz results, with no harmonic closer than -20 dB to the note.

I'd expect that once the bugs are ironed out, Bach On's system oughtn't look too much different.

Ben

Attachments

• 32 at -23dB.jpg
    32 at -23dB.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 32 at -13.jpg
    32 at -13.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.