10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The cabinet is starting to take shape, at least in my mind anyway. Here is the latest take on the "ATC Monitor look". That new XO, btw, rocks hard. I am falling in love with the sound of these speakers all over again and listening to my collection. I can hear new details not heard before. The transient perfect aspect is wonderful for live ambient mic'd recordings.

Attachments

• 10F-RS225-FAST-Cabinet-Black-Baffle.jpg
    10F-RS225-FAST-Cabinet-Black-Baffle.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,302
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cool X! Do you have Visaton B80 to try out the XO? Lot of folks liked that driver in the blind tests.

I have the B80, but the bezel is totally different than the 10F. I have interchangeable baffles and can modify the spare baffle to fit the B80 and give it a shot at some point. Good suggestion though - the B80 and RS225 both have a black phase plug so visually similar.

Would something like a dayton cabinet work (for those of us still not too used to cabinet making)? :)

something like this: Dayton Audio TWC-0.75CH 0.75 cu. ft. 2-Way Curved Speaker Cabinet Cherry

Looks similar in dimensions to your sketchup drawing, 10" front baffle (narrower at the back), 14.5" deep, 17" tall. I guess volume will be a bit smaller than your design due to the curved design (around 21-22 L), how would this affect things?

Looks like a great design, would be fun to try once i clear my project backlog!

I have the B80, but the bezel is totally different than the 10F. I have interchangeable baffles and can modify the spare baffle to fit the B80 and give it a shot at some point. Good suggestion though - the B80 and RS225 both have a black phase plug so visually similar.

I have some B80 here, I would need to get the RS225, or maybe I could swap the RS225 with a pair of W8-1363sbf I have here as well.

But if you do try it out, I'd be interested as well.

Caps, I can get, but inductors ... nope. Would need to come from abroad. I though Mouser or RS Components would carry some, but alas, no.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Would something like a dayton cabinet work (for those of us still not too used to cabinet making)? :)

something like this: Dayton Audio TWC-0.75CH 0.75 cu. ft. 2-Way Curved Speaker Cabinet Cherry

Looks similar in dimensions to your sketchup drawing, 10" front baffle (narrower at the back), 14.5" deep, 17" tall. I guess volume will be a bit smaller than your design due to the curved design (around 21-22 L), how would this affect things?

Looks like a great design, would be fun to try once i clear my project backlog!

That is very close, and would be perfect if a few mm wider. According to the spec sheets, the RS225-8 bezel is 223 mm dia and the max width before the roundover starts is 218mm. You could probably do it if you did not mind the bezel protruding into the mild front roundover. The 21L vs 24L volume is less of an issue and you will lose a few Hz of bass extension, but should be ok. Don't forget another 1.2 liters for the Dagger rear chamber as well.

This is a very very excellent woofer that I want to try in this box. It's a few mm smaller so might fit better on the curved wall Dayton box. Specs say 0.75 cu ft sealed box has F3 of 55Hz, which is perfect. Nearly twice the price but probably worth it. SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8.

SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8, 8" Woofer

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Caps, I can get, but inductors ... nope. Would need to come from abroad. I though Mouser or RS Components would carry some, but alas, no.

I expect the the B80 to work phenomenally well here - as the XO is very flexible as ling as it is an 8ohm circa 84dB minimum driver with smooth wide bandwidth, and fits in the space. Measurements will need to be done to adjust the padding for correct tonal balance.

I am surprised that inductors are hard to find in Taiwan. Can you get plain 18ga magnet wire? It's easy to calculate the inductance of an air core based on dimensions and winding numbers. You will save money too.

If you have a DATS, you can measure directly. Very handy tool that I owe huge gratitude to Byrtt who gave it to me. Use it almost everyday as an LCR meter in addition to T/S param meter.

Buy one of these and leave in the spool and measure - or unwind and count the turns. 100ft and assuming 2in avg dia that gives 6in per turn so that's 200 turns. That's probably close to 4-5mH. You can add a small ferrite rod in and out of the aperture to fine tune the L value. It's ok to have ferrite core as this is a woofer low pass. But you need the LCR meter to mess with that fine tuning though.

Magnet Wire 18 | eBay (lots of examples on eBay)

Yeah,

I have DATS. I love it! It's been invaluable as most people selling drivers over here are so proud to share their driver measures 125mm and weighs 200g... that's it! When I ask about T/S parameters, they have no clue!

I've been looking high and low for magnet wire. Can't find it. We only have electric wire, the one used in houses, or cheap lamp cord type. Otherwise, yes, I would be winding my own!

Maybe next time I go abroad, I'll bring back a few hundred feet of magnet wire!

Anything to declare, sir? ... eh, nope! just some wire thingy! :)

Edit! OMG! I just found some!!!!!
Funny... they sell 1.6mm solid core enamel copper wire, by the kilogram! I have no idea how long that is! they sell it for $20.

Last edited:
Look up the density of copper, divide the volume of 1 kilo by the area of a 1.6mm circle. Just be careful of units/decimal places.

You know what? You're right!

My science 101 is so far away, I tend to forget these things! Me... the guy who loves science! I'm getting lazy!

Perceval, magnet wire is used in numerous primary school experiments.
You may be able to find some if you search for science education supplies.

kind regards, jonathan

Jonathan, that's a great tip, unfortunately, hands on activities are not in the curriculum here. Everything is learned through books and exams based on the books.

I have some students who learned how to "technically" wash windows, but never actually held a rag. Crazy!

1.6mm is 14ga - that’s beefy stuff and expensive and a pain to wind. Look for 1.0mm dia as that is close to 18ga. That’s all you need.

Density of copper is 8900kg/m^3.

Cool. Thanks for that X.

I'll be on the lookout for 1mm enamel copper wire. This is brand new stuff over here. They didn't have any of it before. Times are changing! Pretty interesting!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Do no factories in Taiwan build electric motors? Any that do will have leftovers which they sell as scrap.
There is no reason they cannot sell you a spool-end or three. Also on the same note, check with the local scrap and recycking facilities. Old motors, power supplies, etc. And before you or friends/neighbors get rid of some electric device, open it and look. I often get wire better than I would choose to buy.
With the ability to measure inductance any wire size is useful (if you can still lift or package the coil).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Do no factories in Taiwan build electric motors? Any that do will have leftovers which they sell as scrap.
There is no reason they cannot sell you a spool-end or three. Also on the same note, check with the local scrap and recycking facilities. Old motors, power supplies, etc. And before you or friends/neighbors get rid of some electric device, open it and look. I often get wire better than I would choose to buy.
With the ability to measure inductance any wire size is useful (if you can still lift or package the coil).

I was going to say same thing. Microwave ovens have the ultimate inductor. 100mH, 0.47R, 10amps. Many times are free curbside trash pickup. The oven breaks and people throw out the whole oven. The MOT is bullet proof and never breaks. I use to to double the power on my SE Class A amp for free (same rail voltage). The MOT stores energy and releases it back to the speaker, increasing voltage swing beyond what rails are.

Here is what I pulled out of a dead microwave:

It weighs 10lbs of steel and copper.

650417d1512863615-build-mofo-mot-2-jpg

I have DATS to measure drivers, capacitors and inductors.

Factories building stuff would be on the other side of the island.
On my side, it is mostly marble cutting and selling.

Ok, I have been foraging the local scrap yards to fix my 1995 VW camper van, now I guess I need to have a look at the local recycle places for dead microwaves!

X, that's a beast! Do you unwind the wire, and then rewire to the desired values?