10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

I had this one, and sold it after a few days of listening, one of the most boring and lifeless sounding widerange unit I have heard, maybe it looks good on graph and can loud, but even the cheapest TB or Vifa are better to my ears...
Feel free to better like the cheapest TB or Vifa, that said its a stupid message to hear about in a thread where owners of course like their own stuff and what they can tweak out of it, especially because you misunderstand that this thread use 10F/8424 and not 10F/4424 and also because it sounds like only reference for claim is using ears.

Okay I can take that it's stupid to you and to some others or majority, but not to someone who has similar taste like me.
No offense and had no intentions, I was just disappointed and saying what I had to say about my experience with that 4Ohm model that maybe differs in sound from the 8Ohm or maybe not :)
It's the wrong thread, should have posted in small drivers comparison, but anyway... better not lol

Last edited:
Yes, the crossover is 1st order on both, with a Zobel filter on 10F plus some padding. Here it is redrawn with values currently used in the above pictured XO. When used with the woofer on top and speaker on 30 in tall stand, the path difference from mid-tweet to the ear is delayed just enough to make it transient perfect.

654804d1515144021-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor-10f-rs225-1st-xo-v2b-jpg

Very similar to the crossover I'm using, inspired by this thread and your build.

Currently I'm not using the tweeter, I find myself missing just a tiny bit of hf. I'm also making new baffles, and about to upgrade a few of the crossover components as well.

It looks like the 10F/8424G has a bit more of a rising hf response, perhaps that would suit my ears better in two way configuration.

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 1,138
Yes, Dagger is planned as it’s very neutral sounding and easy to make. 4in PVC pipe could work but has a resonance mode and is not cheap compared to foam core scraps.

PVC is a darn good idea, is the dagger sealed, or is there a small opening at the rear?

I'm seriously considering the 10f/8424's, they're not cheap certainly, but not absurdly expensive either.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Dagger is sealed and progressively stuffed with fiberglass to be dense at the rear tip and loose near driver.

Btw, I just measured the new XO and for some strange reason, needs an additional 4.7R of padding on te 10F (in series with first 4.7R) to measure flat like the previous XO. Anyhow, it sounds even better now with more full bodied bass. Some may like the upward tilt as it sounds more lively. Only thing I can think of is that the 3W 1% metal film resistors I used before (qnty 2 x 10R in parallel) behave differently that the Dayton non-inductive cement-filled ones I am using now. I thought it was the difference between 4.7R vs 5.0R but that added 0.3R did not fix it by any means.

I'm seriously considering the 10f/8424's, they're not cheap certainly, but not absurdly expensive either.

It looks like you have FF85WK's? Those are ok, but much lower power handling and less xmax, so will distort at higher SPLs. You can try the 10F/8414 which are only $65ea and perhaps even flatter measuring. Although, they don't have the rising response which, maybe you are looking for.

@Sharpi31: the Dunce caps are great idea! Thanks - sporting good store?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
...I'm seriously considering the 10f/8424's, they're not cheap certainly, but not absurdly expensive either.

If it can help below have some same condition data for FF85WK verse 10F/8424, on distortion front in general it looks like drivers as FF85WK / SB65WBAC25-4 / TC9FD18-08 have a mostly forward 3rd harmonic dominant profile where 10F/8424 is close to be 2nd harmonic dominated.

Attachments

• 3004.png
    3004.png
    346.2 KB · Views: 485
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice data plots there Byrtt. Was the data taken by the FF85WK from the ones I brought you when we met at Wesayso’s a little over a year ago now? What a fun night that was. :)

Great to know they are dominant 2nd order distortion drivers. So that means that there is an asymmetry in the suspension restoring force. Neat.

Last edited:
I just did a search for sports cones.

12in high ones (this looks like a good size):
Jet.com - Prices Drop As You Shop

Set of 12 x 7in high ones:

Amazon.com : Fun Express Set of 12 Sport Training Traffic Orange Cones Soccer Cone : Sports & Outdoors

Trick is the mouth needs to be big enough to fit the driver cutout and basket/magnet. I agree that the semi-rigid vinyl is an ideal sound dampening material.
Oh o.k. I've looking at megaphones. I'll put some of those Amazon ones in my cart. Quick,easy and cheap way to swap drivers. If they don't work I could always work on my agility which I'm sure my wife would find hilarious.

Nice data plots there Byrtt. Was the data taken by the FF85WK from the ones I brought you when we met at Wesayso’s a little over a year ago now? What a fun night that was. :)

Great to know they are dominant 2nd order distortion drivers. So that means that there is an asymmetry in the suspension restoring force. Neat.

Yes thanks those FF85WK curves are what you kindly brought me at that pleasant meeting :).

The higher costs for 10F is general not to like but in directly comparison test under same condition it have areas where it stand out and distortion profile looks be one of them.

I bought these ones: PRECISION TRAINING 9" Traffic Cones (Set of 4): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

The mouth area is plenty big enough for a 3-4” driver, and the four fixing holes make for easy mounting. I filled one with water to find the 1.1L volume.

I applied some adhesive 5m closed cell foam to the front face before mounting. That made an air seal on the inside of the cabinet.

I applied adhesive foam and loose wool to the insides. I used a very sophisticated scientific method to confirm the damping properties: held them over my ears to hear how well they worked as ear defenders :D