10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Speakers that have four sides just don’t lend themselves to 3 spikes. It tips fo the side - diagonally easier with 3.
You can mount the three points outboard. I think the diagonal tipping is theoretical. In terms of small input stability, I'd expect three points to be better.

Maybe if you have a large dog or rampaging toddler there is a risk, but they are generally somewhat incompatible with stand or floor-mounted speakers anyway.

The best place for premium wool underlay is beneath aristocratic carpets. I used Swaledale wool carpet underlay when I built some double PA130 XKIs. Good stuff but melamine foam is surely better? Cheaper, better performance and no worries abour moths. Currently listening to some Karlsonators with melamine and they sound great.

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I never even knew there was a ferrite magnet 8424 (non-G) version. This looks like a completely different driver, as Qts, Fs, and sensitivity are very different. If even has 3 screw holes on the bezel vs 4. Sort of like a black fiberglass version of TC9. I actually have a black fiberglass version of the TC9 from Peerless India. I forget the model number.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have a few of these marked 10f/8422-03. They were a run for Japan's Stereo Magazine, who bundled them with an issue with box plans.

Basically a surface-mount version of the TC9, but w/a poly cone.
I have not seen the relevant issue, but have been told there was a contour filter(probably w/bsc).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The TB W6 and W8 are quite nice, but not easy to dial in the XO between the woofer and the tweeter of the coax.
It's not as simple as adding a cap on the tweet!
Not it’s not which is why I designed a XO for it back on post 3907.

1709642700926.png

The coax allowed a nice time alignment almost transient perfect like right triangle step response:
1709642883698.png

(Mic is inverted)

The W6 is still available at P-E.
Haven't tried to put them in a TL.
They are my temporary setup right now.
I have no listening room, no space to really enjoy them.
But, they are mounted in small sealed boxes and supported by subs.
The imaging is amazing.

I hope I can give them a proper setup some day.
Or I'll have to send them to a new home.

Also made my series XO for them, and dang... I like how they sound.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 10.20.23 PM.png

Reactions: 1 user