Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

DAC11001: New 20-bit, R-2R Precision DAC
DAC11001: New 20-bit, R-2R Precision DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 17th February 2020, 05:32 PM   #1
PaulFrost is offline PaulFrost  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tucson, AZ
Default DAC11001: New 20-bit, R-2R Precision DAC

As there were a few questions about this device in the OPA1656, I figured I would start a new thread.

The TI precision DAC team recently released the DAC11001A, a single-channel, unbuffered, R-2R DAC.

Info available at:http://www.ti.com/product/DAC11001A

Here are some highlights of this DAC:
  • 20-bit monotonic: 1-LSB DNL (max)
  • Integral linearity: 4-LSB INL (max)
  • Low noise: 7nV/√Hz
  • Code independent low glitch:
    1 nV-s
  • Flexible output ranges: VREFPF to VREFNF
  • Integrated, precision feedback resistors
  • Excellent THD: 105 dB at 1-kHz fOUT

We found some interesting needs for a device like this in control systems and arbitrary wave-form applications, where excellent DC performance was required, as well as good dynamic behavior. The device features a robust sample-and-hold subcircuit that removes code-dependent glitch behavior.

We thought it would be fun to evaluate the device for audio applications, as there are some audio designers and enthusiasts that still want that R-2R architecture

I am working on releasing an audio reference design, but that will probably be online in Q2-2020.
__________________
Disclaimer: Employed by Texas Instruments as an Applications Engineer with Precision and Audio DACs
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 05:47 PM   #2
PaulFrost is offline PaulFrost  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tucson, AZ
First question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
Just curious, why do you think this DAC has any place in the audio realm? Based on the data sheet it looks respectable (although not great) as a 20bit DAC, but for audio purposes there are the same or better chips, even from TI. Which would at least avoid the usual complication of converting SPI to I2S, that requires some hairy logic or a small fast FPGA.
To be clear, this device was not designed for audio but rather very high-end test and medical applications. R-2R DACs in audio is a bit of a niche application. That being said, there are some companies and hobbyists that are using R-2R DACs still (Schiit's Yggdrasil, for example).

Note that the first version released is the DAC11001A, the next version will achieve tighter INL and drift specifications.

The sample-and-hold circuit improves the AC performance of the R-2R by making the glitch code-independent. This removes some of the nasty harmonics that you might see in a regular R-2R design.

The I2S to SPI is a bit of a problem. Fortunately, the DAC11001A features a daisy-chain mode that looks somewhat similar to I2S. I was able to create the glue logic that converts 24-bit, right-justified I2S to SPI using only 2 flip-flops, a shift register, and 7 logic gates. When I post the reference design I will share the digital logic sims.
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Disclaimer: Employed by Texas Instruments as an Applications Engineer with Precision and Audio DACs
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 05:53 PM   #3
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Is it for audio purpose ?


What are the precision of the embeded resisors please ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 05:58 PM   #4
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
syn08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFrost View Post
R-2R DACs in audio is a bit of a niche application. That being said, there are some companies and hobbyists that are using R-2R DACs still (Schiit's Yggdrasil, for example).
If I would need to promote a new R-2R DAC I would avoid quoting the Schiit Yggdrasil as an example. That implementation is a disaster (nothing new from Schiit, though). I'm sure the schiitters will debate this .

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 06:00 PM   #5
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
syn08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyiggy View Post
Is it for audio purpose ?

What are the precision of the embeded resisors please ?
That's largely an irrelevant question, an R-2R DAC can be made much better than the resistor absolute precision would allow in a brute force approach. The data sheet linearity spec has the relevant data.

Last edited by syn08; 17th February 2020 at 06:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 06:02 PM   #6
PoweRex is offline PoweRex  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFrost View Post
As there were a few questions about this device in the OPA1656, I figured I would start a new thread.

The TI precision DAC team recently released the DAC11001A, a single-channel, unbuffered, R-2R DAC.

Info available at:http://www.ti.com/product/DAC11001A

Here are some highlights of this DAC:
  • 20-bit monotonic: 1-LSB DNL (max)
  • Integral linearity: 4-LSB INL (max)
  • Low noise: 7nV/√Hz
  • Code independent low glitch:
    1 nV-s
  • Flexible output ranges: VREFPF to VREFNF
  • Integrated, precision feedback resistors
  • Excellent THD: 105 dB at 1-kHz fOUT

We found some interesting needs for a device like this in control systems and arbitrary wave-form applications, where excellent DC performance was required, as well as good dynamic behavior. The device features a robust sample-and-hold subcircuit that removes code-dependent glitch behavior.

We thought it would be fun to evaluate the device for audio applications, as there are some audio designers and enthusiasts that still want that R-2R architecture

I am working on releasing an audio reference design, but that will probably be online in Q2-2020.
Sounds great ! Low noise voltage regulators from TI and why not from AD (like the LT3042) should be useful in this kind of project...
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2020, 06:20 AM   #7
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
pinnocchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
interesting!
__________________
PREAMPs : AMB α10 + USSPA | LDR3x + USSPA | AMPs: AMB β24 | USSA5 | FSSA2 | MoFo | FC-100 | Modulus-686 | SimpelStark+ |
DACs : Mirand AK4490 + Discrete Output | Speakers : Troels Gravesen ATS-4 | Sagwee LT V3 |
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2020, 08:24 AM   #8
ClaudeG is offline ClaudeG
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
I say a nice addition to the community, and I say that as an AKM fan, so...

Thanks for all your efforts and for sharing them, to my ears at the end only the sonic vertues matter, let's see how that one performs

Subscribed

Claude
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2020, 09:01 AM   #9
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Connecticut
DAC11001: New 20-bit, R-2R Precision DAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
If I would need to promote a new R-2R DAC I would avoid quoting the Schiit Yggdrasil as an example. That implementation is a disaster (nothing new from Schiit, though). I'm sure the schiitters will debate this .

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
I'm sure TI doesn't expect to sell many to the audio market. As long as the datasheet doesn't claim superior sound quality, more power to them. If people want to pay $50+ for a converter that's worse for audio than PCM179x then I guess they can.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2020, 09:06 AM   #10
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Connecticut
DAC11001: New 20-bit, R-2R Precision DAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFrost View Post
As there were a few questions about this device in the OPA1656, I figured I would start a new thread.

The TI precision DAC team recently released the DAC11001A, a single-channel, unbuffered, R-2R DAC.
It seems the maximum output sample rate is 400 kHz if I read the datasheet correctly?

I'm not sure this will work all that well for anything above 44.1/48 kHz sample rates if so. As I am sure you are aware, most audio converters operate at 8x Fs with an interpolation filter so that the analog filter requirements are relaxed. Do you plan to implement a digital filter in the reference design at all?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


DAC11001: New 20-bit, R-2R Precision DACHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Precision Fidelity M-7 amp asmith Tubes / Valves 4 2nd September 2016 01:01 PM
Precision pdx-10k megael9 Car Audio 3 16th March 2016 12:32 PM
Precision S35 JayCash Tubes / Valves 0 28th March 2014 07:08 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2021 diyAudio
Wiki