• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New Audio Op Amp - OPA1622

Let's forget about k701 now. I think we will get no where by discussing that.
Agree. ;)

Another evaluation boaed is High-Power High-Fidelity Headphone Amp for Current Output Audio DACs Ref Design (Rev. C)
http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/tidu672c
Higher gain from opa1612 allows more feedback of 1622 allowing lower distortion.
If you use 1622 in unity gain configuration, distortion can be lower. Tested on o2 platform, very good.

Nice board, thanks for the link.
But there are two IMO major issues not addressed
- possible common mode errors of DAC chips
- different impedance seen at the OUT of the transimpedance amp stage

4556 has 0.001% at 1khz but much higher distortion at lower and higher frequencies like a smiley curve. i won't talk about audibility of such distortion, but it's much better with opa827 the distortion goes under 0.0001% full spectrum 32ohm.

ok
I'm not after specs at all, so that point is mute for me.

Last edited:
Agree. ;)

Nice board, thanks for the link.
But there a two IMO major issues not addressed
- possible common mode errors of DAC chips
- different impedance seen at the OUT of the transimpedance amp stage

ok
I'm not after specs at all, so that point is mute for me.

On the last part. I wasn't talking about spec sheet. I was talking about real world measurements. If you want I'll show you.

I don't doubt any of your measurements.
Its just I don't care about distortion figures that much, at least not as a solely basis of decision making.

In audo there are always two questions to answer IMO
- how does it measure
- how does it sound

More often than not those answers do not go hand in hand, at least that's my experience so far

Last edited:
OK, you didn't have to be patient very long! Here's a sneak peak of the precision version of my swan song project:

OPA2156 Ultra-Low Noise (3nV/rtHz), 25MHz, Precision (200uV), Rail-to-Rail Input/Output Amplifier | TI.com

Prototype samples of this version are available now. A more audio-centric version of this product will follow along soon.

Sorry for quoting an old post, but didn't find a dedicated thread for OPA2156.
Just wanted to say a colossal thank you to you and your team.
2156 is an excellent part, the best non-discrete dual I have heard ever.

Popped these in my Topping D50 I-V and LPF stage and one in FiiO A5.
Amazing tonality - such a sense of air, richness and sweet mids!

Seriously, I don't need any more measurements if auditioning brings up such a bunch of crap. And I already traced it down to a fair degree if you have read my postings.

To add on the above list of shortcomings, the INA1620 isn't even capable to directly drive a AKG K701 without issues.
You will have to add output resistors to make that happen. Not what's advertised and no good in terms of audio performance as well!

Frankly, I'm not after "not bad at all" with a chip that is stellar specd and said to be for audio, but after outstanding sonic performance right away.

The INA1620EVM board doesn't do that any justice at all.

The INA1620 with its matched resistors for me were the main reason to give it a try.
All in all I've come to the conclusion that pairing the TPA6120 with LT5400 to form a "audio grade" symmetric IN / symmetric OUT instrumentation amp for driving cans would possibly be the route to go.

Sure, for the O2 headphone amp not being a symmetric design this point is mute.

Was it unstable? Why did you need series R?

Was it unstable? Why did you need series R?

This was a lesson I had to learn when I first rolled to the OPA1622. Those are available for cheap on DIP8 adapter boards for plug in replacement.

Occasionally the OPA1622 at the plug in adapter board got into distortion mode with my AKG K701, some oscillation I guess.
Was not able to trace it down because it worked ok as soon as I hooked up my oscilloscope. :eek:

There are two measures one can undertake against oscillation / low phase margin
- decoupling capacitive load by adding OUT resistors
- http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt630/slyt630.pdf

Adding OUT resistors did the trick both for the OPA1622 and later on for the INA1620 and was the first choice for lazy me

Last edited:
Has anyone happened to measure the OPA2156's THD vs Output Voltage into something around 200R at gain = +1? The datasheet graph only goes to a load of 2K.

I have something specific in mind. :) I'm wondering if the OPA2156 would make a good (maybe improved in an area or two) replacement for the NwAvGuy O2 Headamp NJM4556A output chips:

NJM4556A datasheet

The 4556A's big claim to fame is high (70mA) output current per half into fairly low impedance loads (headphones, in this case) with relatively low distortion. This new chip has the whopping 100mA, curious how it stacks up to THD vs. Output Voltage graph on page 3 of the NJM4556A data sheet. The O2 parallels 2 NJM4556A per channel for the output. NwAvGuy's dScope plots from years ago take the THD vs. output voltage of the whole O2 down to a headphone load of 16R, worst case (what the paralleled NJM4556A's are driving on each channel).

Another cool thing: since the O2 has the (10K) pot-in-the-middle design the input impedance the NJM4556A looks back into can he high, something I've worried about (source impedance op amp distortion). But Matt at QuantAsylum just showed

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-and-tools/231401-quantasylum-qa400-qa401-52.html#post5690467

that the CMOS OPA2156 can beat bipolar in some areas on situations like that. At mid-volume the NJM4556A looks back into 5K||5K||40.2K = 2.35K (AC signal, there is a coupling cap to the pot wiper to keep DC out). Matt showed the knee is around 1K (see his paper in that link above for details).

:blackcat: --> cat emo just because. :p

I just got my opa2156 directly from ti.
test was directly in to 16 ohm real earphone load instead of dummy load
250mvrms.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2ds2q01.jpg

Now comparing opa2156 to opa827 subjectively.
This could all be in my head so keep in mind.
opa2156 sounds a bit fast and dry sounding comparing to opa827. Opa827 sounds a little bit more liquid and robust sounding. Will it change over time? Idk. Do i like it? As long as the headphones don't suck.
Technically two opa2156 has higher current than opa827 but higher voltage noise. Would the noise affect the sound? Maybe. Because the distortion at normal listening volume will be way lower than the noise. So if there's sound change it's probably the noise. (there are only two 0.1ohm resistors in the signal path of the testing circuit)
Thank you Ti for creating excellent opamps.

Whats the best way to parallel OPA1622...master slave or each independant (with 1R on output) for a headphone amp ?

It depends on your application.
I personally prefer direct parallel(add resistor). This way I can lower the noise by sqrt of 2 and adding capacitive load driving capacity. The other way can have very low output impedance. The first method also may have lower distortion at high frequency irl.

It depends on your application.
I personally prefer direct parallel(add resistor). This way I can lower the noise by sqrt of 2 and adding capacitive load driving capacity. The other way can have very low output impedance. The first method also may have lower distortion at high frequency irl.

Direct parallel also lowers output impedance .

Yes I am thinking on adding a prestage opamp for the gain and make the paralel ones at unity gain .

Direct parallel also lowers output impedance .

Yes I am thinking on adding a prestage opamp for the gain and make the paralel ones at unity gain .

It lowers the physical output impedance yes. But there is ballast resistor outside the feedback loop. Unless there is another opamp wrapping around the 1622s there will be substantial output resistance after all. Sure it's possible to use values like 0.33 ohm and parallel more than 2 to keep output impedance low. But theoretically it's still higher. The example of 1ohm will result in 0.5ohm output resistance will is much higher than what could be done. You may argue the audible difference. You may but objective speaking there is difference.