• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suppose that the cost of improving them will be minimal (two resistors with 0.1% tolerance). It would be necessary to make the calculations and the pertinent measurements.

0.1% tolerance will not be good enough for superhigh CMRR. 0.01% gives you 74dB. See link:
What you need to know about CMRR- The instrumentation amplifier (part 2) - Analog - Technical articles - TI E2E support forums

Probably Bruno already uses 0.1% resistors. These resistors are affordable, going lower quickly increases the price.

Yes. As long as they are purely personal opinions. To go beyond that requires evidence and verification.

That's one of your stock remarks, Julf.
Discussions on audio forums are always based on/inspired by objective data and personal opinions; that's why these discusions are there...
Your quest for evidence and verification makes sense for objective data (Bruno is doing exactly that....searching and finding (hysteresis distortion) the cause of granularity in Ncore sound) ; by repeatingly mentioning th evidence/verification thing, you actually question someones personal opinion which does not make sense.

Discussions on audio forums are always based on/inspired by objective data and personal opinions

Inspired by, perhaps yes, but fortunately there are forums that don't pay much attention to purely personal opinions. The problem with personal opinions is that everyone has them, but not all are equally valid.

by repeatingly mentioning th evidence/verification thing, you actually question someones personal opinion which does not make sense.

Not questioning. An opinion is an opinion. Just pointing out that a personal opinion is not the same as a fact (something people often seem to forget).

I think it would be a better idea to make a separate 'distortion box' maybe with some additional EQ adjustments for 'hot midrange' etc than make changes to the amp itself.
So a similar device to a guitar effect pedal.

There's a DSP crossover over in the vendors' bizarr section, that has a "tube amp simulation" as an EQ option (it may not be just EQ). This kind of thing sounds similar, and right at the digital cross-over stage for active speakers.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
By the way, here is an interesting test of the Burson op-amp, unfortunately in French, but you can see the graphs. A simple summary is "The question asked is: why are the Burson AOP sold as audiophile op-amps while numbers are showing they are absolute garbage. The conclusion is: it is indeed a shitty product, a scam if you look at the asking price."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJT5oitJvuw

More distorsion to the people!! :-D

//

I don't know if I'm breaking any rules by mentioning this, but the amp in the link below will be ready for sales within some weeks. While it's based on NC500 and not NC1200, it does offer bridging option with more than 1200W in 8 ohm and has temperature controlled cooling fans. Measurements and more info will be published.
| Vera Audio |

Following this - looks like a very smart solution. I hope it's competitive on price.

Following this - looks like a very smart solution. I hope it's competitive on price.
What's "competitive price" is obviously relative. This is not a low cost amplifier. The cabinet is cut out in one thick alu block and the amp has no seams or visible screws (only screws underneath). A chassis like that raises the cost.

The design of the buffer as well as other functions and have taken a lot of time and brings up the cost with the parts needed too.

However, if you compare it with what's available in the commercial market with similar quality chassis and power, I think you'll find it very competitive.
The starting price is 23 200 NOK (Norwegian kroners) without VAT and shipping. That's approximately £1970 or 2300 euros with today's currency.

It's worth noticing that this amp has much lower distortion in the low frequencies compared to some other NC500 based amplifiers.

I have opened a new thread: Vera Audio Class-D Amp Build Quality | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum.

With pictures resized, optimized and clarified to see details.

index.php

and three more.

Last edited:
What's "competitive price" is obviously relative. This is not a low cost amplifier. The cabinet is cut out in one thick alu block and the amp has no seams or visible screws (only screws underneath). A chassis like that raises the cost.

The design of the buffer as well as other functions and have taken a lot of time and brings up the cost with the parts needed too.

However, if you compare it with what's available in the commercial market with similar quality chassis and power, I think you'll find it very competitive.
The starting price is 23 200 NOK (Norwegian kroners) without VAT and shipping. That's approximately £1970 or 2300 euros with today's currency.

It's worth noticing that this amp has much lower distortion in the low frequencies compared to some other NC500 based amplifiers.

Thanks - yes I can appreciate the extra features

What nc500 amp are you running.

I run mine without an input buffer which lowers the gain to 13db, I think, was a long time ago I looked. Their input impedance is very low though will need something stiff to drive them.

You need the Hypex OEM buffers and a soldering iron if you want to do that or some knowledge.

Most of the nc500’s buffers are questionable but may suit your preference ;)

Q. When is a buffer not a buffer.
A. When it's a Hypex buffer.

The term "buffer" is used by Hypex but for technical correctness it's really a preamplifier with roughly the same voltage gain as the NC500 / 1200 module, and also converts unbalanced inputs.

The ultimate implementation would be to use (build) a dedicated external class A discrete preamplifier that's capable of driving 12vrms into a 600 ohm impedance with very low distortion. This is something I intend to do.

Btw, I use NC500 mono amps to drive woofers (B&W 800di) and they sound fantastic. Great full range too but I slightly prefer the treble from my blameless class AB amp. Subjectively it's just a bit sweeter and more open and extended

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.