• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
closed account
Joined 2007
Weeks ago I insisted Bruno to change two buffer resistances to better ones to increase the CMRR (PURIFI 1ET400A) but he did not seem to be very interested even though the cost increase is acceptable.

In the end it is the same as always, wanting to spare where it is not due, two resistor or NC500 coil. Or very cheap 85ºC big electrolytics of Hypex SMPS.

I have the perhaps misguided perception that Bruno Putzeys knows how he has designed his amplifier modules better than you may think, my friend :)

BTW, the Big caps are 105 ºC and not 85 ºC as I wrote. Su'scon, very cheap manufacturer -> spare money. With how expensive the Hypex SMPS1200 is ...

The cheap / very cheap components were probably imposed by the company, as usually happens.

In a few months we will see if the PURIFI SMPS has better components than the Hypex SMPS1200, in addition to better features?

What...

Your two cents, without substantiation, are worth zero cents...

Roberto

Would you consider substantiation? So far listening reports from those who have listened have shown the Purifi to be better than the NC-500. And measurements from those who have measured have shown the Purifi to be better than various N-core amps, especially in terms of IM distortion.
Those examples, and the fact that the Purifi is Mr. Putzeys' 3rd generation of class D design work (uCD-Ncore-Purifi) to be brought to market, and that Mr. Putzeys was confident enough with the design improvements to start his own company to distribute the product, suggest to me at the very least that one can be confident the Purifi will almost certainly be better than current (now what, 10 years old?) Ncore technology. As a long term Ncore user, I am looking forward to putting together a Purifi based amplifier myself.

closed account
Joined 2007
Would you consider substantiation? So far listening reports from those who have listened have shown the Purifi to be better than the NC-500. And measurements from those who have measured have shown the Purifi to be better than various N-core amps, especially in terms of IM distortion.
Those examples, and the fact that the Purifi is Mr. Putzeys' 3rd generation of class D design work (uCD-Ncore-Purifi) to be brought to market, and that Mr. Putzeys was confident enough with the design improvements to start his own company to distribute the product, suggest to me at the very least that one can be confident the Purifi will almost certainly be better than current (now what, 10 years old?) Ncore technology. As a long term Ncore user, I am looking forward to putting together a Purifi based amplifier myself.

One thing: I do believe that the Purifi IET400A is an improvement over Bruno Putzeys's previous designs. Measurement are better, and people I trust told me that replacing the NC500 with the IET400A gave a subjective (yet minor) improvement.

The problems come when somebody adds phase rotations to a digital signal and then compares the original and modified signal, without ABX, decides that the modified digital signal is worse, "lifeless", "devoid of musical magic", and THEREFORE the Purifi is better than the NCore, because the latter has more phase rotation. This is so wrong on so many levels that I would not even know where to start.

And then goes on and states that we should forget the SMPS1200 and would use something else. (Why?)

All this from a guy that has stated that putting teflon tubing around the cables in his amplifier improved the sound.

Maty is personally very nice, I have exchanged emails with him and find him a very agreeable person, but sometimes his enthusiasm (a virtue in audio!) clouds his judgement. I do not claim to be immune from this, on the contrary.

Roberto

Last edited:
10/4

One thing: I do believe that the Purifi IET400A is an improvement over Bruno Putzeys's previous designs. Measurement are better, and people I trust told me that replacing the NC500 with the IET400A gave a subjective (yet minor) improvement.

The problems come when somebody adds phase rotations to a digital signal and then compares the original and modified signal, without ABX, decides that the modified digital signal is worse, "lifeless", "devoid of musical magic", and THEREFORE the Purifi is better than the NCore, because the latter has more phase rotation. This is so wrong on so many levels that I would not even know where to start.

And then goes on and states that we should forget the SMPS1200 and would use something else. (Why?)

All this from a guy that has stated that putting teflon tubing around the cables in his amplifier improved the sound.

Maty is personally very nice, I have exchanged emails with him and find him a very agreeable person, but sometimes his enthusiasm (a virtue in audio!) clouds his judgement. I do not claim to be immune from this, on the contrary.

Roberto

OK, no disagreement there! I must say I am surprised how much more I prefer the NC-1200 stereo amp in my system vs. NC-400, just seems a bit odd, as I have no technical "need" per se of the additional power. Still, subjectively, NC-1200 is noticeably better. This kind of makes me hope for a Purifi "800"...

Roberto, barrows and others NC users.

Phase shift in class D amplifiers. How it affects the sound?

I can only write about my listening experience with the manipulation of the phase with rePhase. If the program emulates Hypex NC400 correctly or not, I cannot verify that.

The desirable thing is that some Hypex NC user made a simulation with rePhase and told us if the sound improved or worsened. In my second system the differences are very noticeable, much more than I thought!

For me its the price of the Purifi that is an issue.
Nord and Apollon have entry price points for these around £2375 plus delivery for a two channel Amp. This is with Hypex 1200A400 SMPS, I am presuming a higher quality Purifi SMPS will have a higher price. Six or eight channel active set ups become very costly. These two companies make NC500 models that are priced very keenly, you would struggle to build a DIY version for much less. So we will have to wait and see if the Purifi DIY modules are priced at a point worth considering.

At January or February Audiophonics will sell the PURIFI 1ET400A. DIY Kit ensambled, with only XLR inputs? With modules made in Asia I suppose and not as the first batch builded in Europe ($ 200 more for each module + ensambler benefits + VAT).

Maybe a new or older thread about PURIFI is better idea.

Do you have a source for this announcement?

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier | Page 55 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

by Zoomer

Then we might be in for a treat from Audiophonics in February. From a conversation I had with them 18 november:

Nous travaillons actuellement sur ces modules :
1ET400A - Purifi

Le développement viens à peine de commencer.
Je dirais [ils seront disponible] à vu de nez fin janvier début février.

------------------------------------
We are currently working on these modules:
1ET400A - Purifi

Development has just started.
I would say [they will be available] roughly in late January early February.

closed account
Joined 2007

Maty, I have followed that thread. You do indeed claim that you do not know whether your simulation reflects real world differences in amplifiers. But you are behaving as if it was, and de facto judging the relative merits of amplifies according to this.

Now, there is a big difference between phase rotation and time delay. The linear phase rotation that is measured in these amps is just a tine delay. The signal takes time to traverse the amplifier. As a result, there are rotations. These are small and are equivalent to different distance of the microphones from the instruments, or of your ears from the speakers.

A mathematical computation of phase rotation is not equivalent to this, esp for the behaviour wrt transients. They are difficult to properly analyse spectrally, and the errors are quite large, because they contain frequencies that change very quickly. As a result, you get smeared transients with increased noise. Less precision in their rendering, which can make the music "lifeless" (bad percussions, for instance) and difficult to follow (weakened bass lines - remember that we perceive bass notes mostly by their initial transients, and the brain mostly ignores the rest of the tone except for "noticing" when they stop...).

This however has most likely no correlation at all with the sound caused by a time delay.

This said, I want to thank you for making me aware of the existence of the Neurochrome Universal Buffer. I did not know Tom Christiansen was preparing that, and it would be nice to see one adapted to drive two Purifi modules (or four in a differential configuration).

best
Roberto

Last edited:
These are small and are equivalent to different distance of the microphones from the instruments, or of your ears from the speakers.
That is my soft trick to have more depth with the little coaxials in near field, with a fixed time to ALL frequencies.

No idea of the price. I guess the PURIFI kit modules will sell them through their future own store.

In any case, I am in no hurry. That others experience, measure and tell their auditory experiences and thus reduce the probability of a bad purchase. If I buy or build a new amplifier I want to be sure that it is a clear leap forward and not a lateral one, as is usually the case.

Minimum Phase vs Linear Phase | Page 16 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

JRiver MC v25, DSP: PEQ.

index.php

Delay:

* Films, series: 1 ms or 2ms
* Music: 3 ms
* Mono: 4 ms
* Orchestral: 5 ms
Days ago I retouched, again, the AV Marantz SR4500. Now, Music: 2.6 ms because I have more depth than before!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.