• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Keep in mind he's using dual SMPS1200A700 power supplies. At this price point, it's a game changer for commercial amp offerings. It wouldn't be hard to find amps out there for $10000 that aren't as good.

What did you use for power supplies?

Yes, i have no doubt that Colin's product is offering good value.
I just meant to say that similar options are not available on these shores

As long as the better sound is not just caused by the price tag... :)

A lot can be just a matter of personal taste. Some might even prefer the IC opamp version. I've gone with fully discrete class A biased boards. Others can even go with tube input buffers. That's the beauty of this module. You can get unlimited sound profiles from these amps by tweaking the buffer.

I wanted to keep the nature of the input buffer board under wrap for now. However the final production versions will have a 230mm x 280 x 80mm 10mm front Ally case with solid brass 60A CHK binding posts, Switchcraft gold plated XLR socket, a low profile stainless steel blue push button Halo mains switch at the front. The front panel will be chamfered top and bottom. 44mm solid aluminium feet. Packaging is on order, front nord badges arrived today. Both layouts have been running for about 2-3 week with no heat issues. The switches have been on back order from Rapid Electronics. Production should start in about a week. I'm a fellow enthusiast like you guys and producing a high quality product is very important hence using top quality components. We work with low overheads and try and carry out as many operations in house to save time and money from the build cost. One area we are saving money is the back panel it will have silver metallic polyester labels for speakers, input, health warning etc. Hope to get you some photos of the finished amp in a week or so. Colin

No plan for a speakon output version?
I fail to understand why these are not more widespread in the hifi world...
I mean, even if your speakers have normal terminals, speakon is still the most convenient and efficient way on the amplifier side.
You can buy a ready made speakon cable of double the length you need, cut it in half and voilà, you got yourself a pair of speakon/bare wire speaker cables...

By the way Colin, as you also provide a nc400 assembling service, what is your take on the nc500 vs nc400 debate?

Hi Pos
Speakon version, well I'm small and hand build these so we can offer bespoke versions. One of my supplier caries them however I don't think they would be widely accepted in the HiFi world.
As to the NC400 vs NC500 debate can not comment not heard a NC400 have some coming in this week to engineer the case layout etc. My main priority at the moment is final production versions of the of the NC500's.

Speakon is not my preference, I prefer bare copper stripped speaker cable into terminals, but nice if there is an option

Mr Boggit, would you customise your offering of nc500 per Buyer, at all? Like if we supplied you our preferred Connector bits (IEC, Speaker wire terminals, XLR socket etc) for a reasonable fee?

Only reason I ask, am not really a fan of Brass-Gold, prefer Copper-Gold connections.

Me and my big mouth, yes its all entirely possible give me 2-3 weeks to get the core product ready. I think its an area I can really have an advantage in. Its exactly what I do with my speakers, customer spec finish, customers become friends, I send them pics at all the build stages. I'll look at the implications possibilities. I have been working on the Stereo version today getting the layout correct with all the factors coming into play, cables, heat, neatness, front and back switches, noise, safety, rear I/O not to mention screwing the feet in avoiding all the modules! Luckily I was a electronics production engineer many years ago.

I am quite happy with base nc500 costing £999 a pair. ATSAH can try sell their rip off by polishing their Eagle Badge a bit more if they like (knowing what these things cost to build), but let OEMs that create their own Input Buffers charge more; where it warrants! Thanks

Stereo prototype version of the NC500 running after a couple of days hard slog, 330mm wide same design case as the 240mm wide Mono Blocks. Both 280mm deep.
just needs a few adjustments to the XLR input positions. Now need to source or make the correct length cables. The original idea was to have an ON OFF switch on the front with blue LED. I may try a normal switch with a blue LED pointing down out of the base of the case, so will illuminate just behind the bottom of the face plate and shine on the surface you place the amp on. So couple of questions 1) ON OFF switch good idea? 2 The glow underneath the front good idea? Will upload a picture later Photo bucket is down.

Stereo prototype version of the NC500 running after a couple of days hard slog, 330mm wide same design case as the 240mm wide Mono Blocks. Both 280mm deep.
just needs a few adjustments to the XLR input positions. Now need to source or make the correct length cables. The original idea was to have an ON OFF switch on the front with blue LED. I may try a normal switch with a blue LED pointing down out of the base of the case, so will illuminate just behind the bottom of the face plate and shine on the surface you place the amp on. So couple of questions 1) ON OFF switch good idea? 2 The glow underneath the front good idea? Will upload a picture later Photo bucket is down.

You mean like this? That's original :)

c97e35e095ddd56b5d482dab1d6e068d.jpg

So here is the pic, back to the LED I would hate to copy them even though it was an independent idea. Its like poking a Hornets nest! Back to the drawing board! The flash really show up dust etc, well its a prototype and has been handled a lot. Still waiting for the milling machine to arrive so we can start the customisation of the front panel. Plus all the programming for the holes in the base and back panels.
Hypex%20Stereo%20NC500%20Protoype_zpsggewbll2.png

Last edited:
So here is the pic, back to the LED I would hate to copy them even though it was an independent idea. Its like poking a Hornets nest! Back to the drawing board! The flash really show up dust etc, well its a prototype and has been handled a lot. Still waiting for the milling machine to arrive so we can start the customisation of the front panel. Plus all the programming for the holes in the base and back panels.
Hypex%20Stereo%20NC500%20Protoype_zpsggewbll2.png
I toyed with the idea of a bead blasted piece of plexiglass under the case with leds shining into it.. It would "glow" blue ( or whichever color you choose) and not be a bright stand out light. Softer more pleasing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Boggit, the price difference between the stereo and dual mono version is so small that most people will probably go with the dual mono.
Why not only use a single SMPS for the stereo version and decrease the price some more?
When used with a >6 ohm load a single SMPS 1200 is sufficient.

What is the gain when using the factory buffer? Can it be changed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.