• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hypex case made, could potentially fit 2 PSu's and 2 Hypex modules in this case. Looking to offer the case as close to £99 as I can. Will include pre drilled base and back panel, binding posts, mains input/switch, the 44mm Solid Ally feet and a front switch with "halo blue LED ring".
As to the sound difference between the NC400 and the NC500 any difference is to close on my initial listening.
HYpex%20NC400_zpsol8mpial.jpg

The Switches also arrived from Rapid Electronics and look great on the mock up of the front panel, just waiting for the CNC machine to arrive now.
FRONT%20PANEL%20MOCKUP_zpsgq8ptqaf.jpg

Hypex case made, could potentially fit 2 PSu's and 2 Hypex modules in this case. Looking to offer the case as close to £99 as I can. Will include pre drilled base and back panel, binding posts, mains input/switch, the 44mm Solid Ally feet and a front switch with "halo blue LED ring".
As to the sound difference between the NC400 and the NC500 any difference is to close on my initial listening.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Switches also arrived from Rapid Electronics and look great on the mock up of the front panel, just waiting for the CNC machine to arrive now.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Are you getting your own cnc machine? Whats the cost of something like that? And how do you plan to treat the metal after cnc'ing it?

First attempt at CAM software, its amazing the relatively cheap powerful software machinery out there, Added a small pocket for the badge just above the switch. I may see if a milled version looks better once I work out how to do it. Second image is all the cut paths etc.
First%202dcut%20front%20panel_zpsje0itvyj.png

2d%20with%20cut%20paths_zpspvealnso.png

Looks nice Boggit. Do you have any timeframe in mind for the release of your ncore 500 amplifier? Can you explain me why it is better (if so, but I presume it is) then the ncore400?

So after a long gruelling weekend trying to get the milling machine to cut where I thought I told it too and cutting cleanly. Not to mention without snaping £12 milling bits we are almost there. This is the latest cut, on the back of a panel the front is not so good. The milling cutter to chamfer the top top of the front panel costs £45 luckily I've not broken one of those yet. Up till 3 in the morning Saturday night drawing back panels in the CAM software! I put the still under construction Nord site live this afternoon, I'm sure there are a few errors and spelling mistakes but wanted Google to start indexing it, to launch day.
IMG_1776_zps5qdneigu.jpg

Hi Colin

I will be honest and say that the simpler the design, the less dated it would look?

This my opinion of course :)

I don't mind the chamfer at the top, but the 3 parallel lines (I would prefer none) could be just a single line, if some detail has to be there? Or just chamfer all the way round?

Best regards

Last edited:
So after a long gruelling weekend trying to get the milling machine to cut where I thought I told it too and cutting cleanly. Not to mention without snaping £12 milling bits we are almost there. This is the latest cut, on the back of a panel the front is not so good. The milling cutter to chamfer the top top of the front panel costs £45 luckily I've not broken one of those yet. Up till 3 in the morning Saturday night drawing back panels in the CAM software! I put the still under construction Nord site live this afternoon, I'm sure there are a few errors and spelling mistakes but wanted Google to start indexing it, to launch day.
IMG_1776_zps5qdneigu.jpg

I've found that the Asian companies who sell those cases can do custom milling for far cheaper than can be done locally. Especially when you factor in broken bits etc. Also they can do the milling before the anodizing.

Indeed Modu do customization, but factoring in 20 euro for milling, 20 euro for re anodizing, 25 for the rear panel, set up costs, extra lead times, guessing quantities to order and the satisfaction of producing yourself I thought it better at this stage to produce myself. There are many, many complicated factors in all the decisions in this whole project I'm hoping to have most of them right. Now if I were producing 40 a month on a regular basis, well that might be different. I guess I'm aiming for a professional DIY project at this stage having said that the finish will be excellent.

hypex ncore

Indeed Modu do customization, but factoring in 20 euro for milling, 20 euro for re anodizing, 25 for the rear panel, set up costs, extra lead times, guessing quantities to order and the satisfaction of producing yourself I thought it better at this stage to produce myself. There are many, many complicated factors in all the decisions in this whole project I'm hoping to have most of them right. Now if I were producing 40 a month on a regular basis, well that might be different. I guess I'm aiming for a professional DIY project at this stage having said that the finish will be excellent.

I have Modu cases as well. But you should check out Breeze audio. Same quality or better cases for way cheaper. And he will do milling for super cheap.

Here's an example. He has any size or color. I asked him to do a bunch of custom cutouts to 1 case and he quoted me $4 per case!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Breeze-Audio-new-Full-aluminum-enclosure-preamp-case-headohone-amplifier-chassis-L2205-aluminum-amplifier-enclosure/32379921506.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.154.6iyx9T&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9_79_78_77_91_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

Last edited:
Ill email him, cheers for that, I bought some Chinese cases in, they were very good, again one of the decisions in choosing Modu was lead time, consistency, same case in multiple sizes, spare parts and cost. I've had 20 cases arrive in about a weeks lead time, I changed the order from steel covers to ally so I could machine them easier, no problem 4-5 days later they arrive on a pallet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.