• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK here is the final layout...
Its not finished the switches I ordered were on back order so there will be mains wiring to the front panel and some power for the LED. Much neater this way and cables much shorter. Cable routing and loom will be next once the switches arrive. XLR's in place some high quality Switchcraft Gold plated metal bodies courtesy of a great little supplier Action Hardware who are also the CHK distributor in the UK the mains IEC switch input come from them as well. XLR's sounding much better.
Next up is design the packing and get it on order.
Sounding wonderful. Enjoy.
FINAL20LAYOUT_zpshmct3d0x.jpg

And some IPL Acoustics Speaker we make.
048_zpsj6k2766d.jpg

OK here is the final layout...
Its not finished the switches I ordered were on back order so there will be mains wiring to the front panel and some power for the LED. Much neater this way and cables much shorter. Cable routing and loom will be next once the switches arrive. XLR's in place some high quality Switchcraft Gold plated metal bodies courtesy of a great little supplier Action Hardware who are also the CHK distributor in the UK the mains IEC switch input come from them as well. XLR's sounding much better.
Next up is design the packing and get it on order.
Sounding wonderful. Enjoy.
FINAL20LAYOUT_zpshmct3d0x.jpg

And some IPL Acoustics Speaker we make.
048_zpsj6k2766d.jpg

It appears that your using the bone stock Hypex adapter/buffer boards. What does your amp have over the 650GBP Acoustic imagery Atash 500 monoblocks?

da54969585b52ccc75d4e78c89f6b226.jpg

Right - but that doesn't mean one is a copy of the other. It seems both are copies of the reference design.

I only said that because the Atash was out first, and this amp has the exact same parts stuffed inside a different box. It's not often you'll see that with commercial amplifier designs. Usually the designer will do something to differentiate their product from the competition.

For example the Bel Canto Ref600M and the Merrill Taranis. Those products will sound much different due to different input buffers.

It's not just another version of a reference design. It's bone stock Hypex boards in a box. Nothing wrong with doing this, but it's going to be a bit boring when we have 10 manufacturers building the exact same thing in a different box all trying to undercut each other's price. Maybe the next guy will sell them for 800GBP's per pair.

Personally I'd rather see amps the same price as the Atash 500's but with a better buffer stage. Then the product would be a unique offering, with an edge over the Atash :)

We now have two vendors offering the basic design. If 8 more turn up, I am sure some of them will decide to do what you suggest instead of competing purely on price and surface finish of enclosure. In any case it is a great situation for us as customers (but not so good news for us as DIY hobbyists - the temptation to go off-the-shelf is pretty strong :) ).

Well at this price I'm in again. Was dithering over nc400 and unconvinced. At this junction, Boggit will attract many more punters being under the £1000 Mark, especially before Christmas when most people feel like a treat.

If BEL CANTO make this cheap amp module sound so much better, then it warrants their price tag.... there are those who will still buy these, or more exotic implementations...

HYPEX will probably sell a lot more of these mass market design nc500 (boards) if more Vendors offer competitive products, rather than fewer purchases of high end designs

Hypex are a Business and I would be proud bringing great product that people can afford, which incidentally saves the Planet by being much Greener than other types of gass guzzlers out there :)

I wanted to keep the nature of the input buffer board under wrap for now. However the final production versions will have a 230mm x 280 x 80mm 10mm front Ally case with solid brass 60A CHK binding posts, Switchcraft gold plated XLR socket, a low profile stainless steel blue push button Halo mains switch at the front. The front panel will be chamfered top and bottom. 44mm solid aluminium feet. Packaging is on order, front nord badges arrived today. Both layouts have been running for about 2-3 week with no heat issues. The switches have been on back order from Rapid Electronics. Production should start in about a week. I'm a fellow enthusiast like you guys and producing a high quality product is very important hence using top quality components. We work with low overheads and try and carry out as many operations in house to save time and money from the build cost. One area we are saving money is the back panel it will have silver metallic polyester labels for speakers, input, health warning etc. Hope to get you some photos of the finished amp in a week or so. Colin

There are no NC500 units being offered in the US at this price point.
Shipping, conversion rate, import duty and things quickly add up to discourage importing the finished amp.

import duty on say DIY NC400 modules from Hypex is cheaper than that for a finished amplifier product.

I was able to put together an NC400 stereo amp for about 1000$

Last edited:
hypex ncore

There are no NC500 units being offered in the US at this price point.
Shipping, conversion rate, import duty and things quickly add up to discourage importing the finished amp.

import duty on say a DIY NC400 modules from Hypex is cheaper than a finished amplifier product.

I was able to put together an NC400 stereo amp for about 1000$

Keep in mind he's using dual SMPS1200A700 power supplies. At this price point, it's a game changer for commercial amp offerings. It wouldn't be hard to find amps out there for $10000 that aren't as good.

What did you use for power supplies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.