• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
imgext.php

?

Thanks TNT, but I don't see why it should be this complicated. My transformers have 0.4mH primary inductance and should want to see 110hm across the secondary (1:1), all I need is an adaption of the circuitry following the trafo.

Preceding the trafo should be 100pf from both pin 2 and pin 3 to chassis ground (and probably a 100 nf cap in series with the positive signal, for some reason it is only implimented in some of the inputs of the old Digidesign converters).

Can anyone explain the bias of the S/PDIF input drawing in the DAM1021's manual and why it isn't wired in a way that it effects both secondary windings equally? Is there a voltage present already on the receiving input of the DAM1021?

Can anyone explain the bias of the S/PDIF input drawing in the DAM1021's manual and why it isn't wired in a way that it effects both secondary windings equally? Is there a voltage present already on the receiving input of the DAM1021?
The pulse transformer in the manual p.8 (S/PDIF connection) is for isolation and needs +1.2V from J2 to bias the input pins. TNT's drawing shows only how to convert 110R of your transformer's output to 75R for the S/PDIF input. There might be a way of how to connect the transfromer output of 110R with 2 puls formers directly to the FPGA input pins instead of going through the SPDIF but I cannot see the benefit for doing this because it would make things only more complex.

Hi Soren

I would like to purchase one of your DAM1021 boards and have email info@soekris.dk but am not receiving any reply. Is there an alternate email address that I can contact you on?

Many thanks.

No, as it says in the soekris website:

"We do our best to respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, but please note that due to the small size of the company, we might not be able to respond immediately. If you feel like it takes to long time, please resend your email."

I'm pretty busy right now, but will have some dam1021 in stock again very soon...

Last edited:
Hello Soeren,
This is somewhat a repost from the dam1121 building thread but I’d need some comment from the designer.
I’m thinking about sourcing the dam1121 with Andrea‘s master clocks. The idea is to attach a si570 to the dam1121 via i2c which will in turn power off the on board si570 and accepts the incoming lvds signal. But instead of feeding the lvds from the external si570 I will feed a lvds signal that I derived from TWTMC converted though an e.g. an idt 8t39204.

As I always know the SR of the incoming i2s signal it should be no problem to select between 44/48. As I don’t need spdif input I should not need other frequencies.
Greetings,

Just to be on the safe side. Is this possible? 44 and 49MHz are the right frequencies?

My new recommendation is to use a RS-422 receiver, both for AES/EBU and for Coax. First a transformer, like the Murata DA101, with correct termination resistor, 75R or 110R, then to a Maxim MAX3280E or Intersil ISL3280E, power 3.3V with decoupling, then into the dam1021's ttl level spdif input port.

Which power and ground connector on the DAM1021 should be used for the RS-422 receiver? And which input is the TTL level S/PDIF input port?

So I installed the receiver chip for the AES/EBU digital input. Real fun soldering with the magnifying glass and it doesn't look pretty (see attached image).

But: Huge difference in sound. The converter sounds stellar now. With only this added input circuitry, good PSU filtering and proper grounding. I have yet to make recordings, but the definition and stereo image is on another level.

This input circuit should really be on the board by default (I know it is on the DAM1121).

I will make small adapter PCBs to fit on the DAM1021 PCBs for my multichannel converter now, since soldering those tiny SMD parts P2P is just messy.

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 396
Did we see a schema?

Congrats!! ;-D

//

It's in the DAM1121 manual. It's really only the +/- of the AES3 signal going into the transformer primaries, the secondaries are terminated by a 110 ohm resistor and go into the inputs of the receiver chip. The Vin is bypassed to ground via a 100nf cap and the connections to the DAM1021 board are made as described above by Soeren.

@Soren, I have seen the dac2541 is shipping. But I find not much info on what has changed and what is improved (apart of he power supply). E.g. what is that multi pin IC next the output side?

Or perhaps just put a sharp picture on you website such that the part numbers are readable ;-)

@Soren, I have seen the dac2541 is shipping. But I find not much info on what has changed and what is improved (apart of he power supply). E.g. what is that multi pin IC next the output side?

I try to seperate the DIY and End User products, I did post this on SBAF:

ok, it's correct that the dac2541 reuse the case design, otherwise the differences are:

There are just two R-2R networks in the dac2541, they have then been improved, and have better voltage references. The output buffer creates the balanced output, and are using the new TI opa1656 cmos opamp. The headphone amplifier is separate, a classic composite with a opa1656 and discrete high bias diamond buffer.

The FPGA have been changed to the significant larger Lattice LFE5U-45. Still use 4K filters, but at some point I will increase the number of taps.

The USB Audio Mode 1/2 switch is gone, seems everybody is running Mode 2 anyway.

The dac2541 calibrate itself on power up, reduce THD a little and make it more consistent, and make it possible to use less precise resistors.

Power Input Plug is IEC8, just like the latest dac1541.

Firmware can be updated without opening the case, have a built in USB to Serial port using the same USB connector as for Audio.

All result in lower manufacturing cost and sale price....

The sound is still the same principle, reproduce what comes in without changing the sound. People who have listened to a dac2541 say it's very musical and clean, the best from analog records and CDs.

Or perhaps just put a sharp picture on you website such that the part numbers are readable ;-)

I took the best picture I could with my limited photo equipment while keeping the pictures size down.... But as chips are getting smaller, it's getting harder to read their labels.... The small tqfp you probably are referring to is a TI ADS131A02IPBSR, a ADC used by the calibration circuit.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Cool!

Does it re-clock behind the fpga?
Is the calibration possible to trigger on the fly - i.e. after warmup phase?
Whats the level of typical adjustment that you see?
You use the word "fully" describing that topology. What do you call the balanced one with 2 ladders per channel? 1541 is also "Our highest performance fully balanced DAC"...

//

Cool!

Does it re-clock behind the fpga?

Of course.

Is the calibration possible to trigger on the fly - i.e. after warmup phase?

No. But I haven't seen any temperature drift. I was actually planning to measure temperature (the ST uC have builtin sensor) and possible trigger re calibration, but didn't see the need....

Whats the level of typical adjustment that you see?

Not as much as I expected, but the used ADC is apparently not good enough, not precise enough and have too much noise.... I'm still looking at ADCs. But the biggest advantage is that I now can used less precise resistor, which simplify logistics and make performance more consistent from unit to unit....

You use the word "fully" describing that topology. What do you call the balanced one with 2 ladders per channel? 1541 is also "Our highest performance fully balanced DAC"...

//

dac1541 has been discontinued, so out of the question. The first dac2541 text is also a first quick one....