• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone has a copy of the superreg of Allan Wright's design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fraud Warning: www.vacuumstate.com

FWIW, I am also in the position of having had my money taken by Mr. Wright.

After many months of no book, no returned e-mails, and finally no response to my disgusted (and very firm) request for a refund, I am ready to file fraud charges against him.

IMO, people should avoid vacuumstate.com at all costs. I believe it to be a fraudulent operation.

Graham,
I think you are overheating and risking a gasket blowup for nuttin'. My VISA is very good about dealing with these kinds of situations. Give your cc a call, in a couple of weeks your accnt will be credited and life will be back to normal. You only going to get more and more aggravated if you try to push it any further.
Meanwhile, drop me a line I might have something for you sure to make you feel better ;)

Grataku-

Thanks.

Good advice. I finally gave up and reported the transaction as fraudulent to his Mr. Wright's commercial bank. We will see.

I have given up on his ever responding to my e-mails. Way too busy, you know. So I took the step of publicly taking him to task at Audio Asylum. We'll see.

As for the dropping you a line, DIYAudio has you as no e-mails, please.

Coudja please catch me at my screen name @yahoo.com (Hate that spam - sorry to be cryptic). It is the preferred address over the one on file with DIYAudio.

Thanks much,

GnD

Allen responds. My response to him follows his to me.

---------

--- AW <AllenVSE@compuserve.com> wrote:
> David,
> I am replying to this, the first message you
> sent me, but am ignoring
> the following ones - OK?
>
> 1/ We shipped a book by conventional airmail (no
> tracking number) to the
> address given on your order:
>
> ((( Address deleted in this post ))))))
>
> on Friday 30th of Jan 2004 - 10 days after receiving
> your order.
>
> It has not been returned to us so the reason it has
> not been received by
> you is unknown to us.
>
> 2/ I have been overseas for the past 16 days and my
> email laptop quit on
> the second day away - hence the apprent ignoring of
> your emails.
>
> If you want the order cancelled I will do so
> immediatedly on your
> confirmation - or I will send you a secondbook via
> registered mail for
> which you will have to sign for - OK?
>
> But either way I will expect you to remove your
> "fraud' report...
>
> Allen (VSEI)

-------------------

And, My response back to him.

--------

Allen-

Please cancel my order.

I hope you will understand when I tell you that I am
not really sure what to think about the combination of
the sent book never arriving (nor having any
third-party record of being sent), you being out of
the country for 16 days and your laptop being out of
service.

In my experience reporting this to other people I have
received numerous e-mails from some of your other
customers describing legendary shipment delays (and
similar, coincidental reports for the reasons.)

Bearing that in mind, I will simply post your response
to me as follow-ups to my earlier reports and let
people draw the conclusions that they wish from my
experience. I believe that is fair.

I would suggest that if you are away from your
business in the future and do not have a working
computer, you may wish to either (a) have someone read
and answer your e-mail for you, or, (b) pop into one
of the ubiquitous cyber cafés and check it yourself.

For what it's worth, if I ran an internet-based
business, That is exactly what I would do in the
situation you described to me.

As far as your shipping choices, there is no reason to
go to the expense of registered mail when there are so
many less expensive shipping options that include a
tracking number, which benefits both parties, at
minimal expense.

I will post your response, and mine to you, at DIY
Audio and Audio Asylum. I will also post again, after
my card is credited, upon which I will consider the
matter closed.

Thank you for responding.

Hi there,

I followed this thread a little and after so much negative talk I just wanted to say ordering from mr Wright was a quite positive experience for me. I ordered two superreg kits and received them within a week. I was really surprised by that.
Apart from some minor comments on the kit and instructions i think it's a quite good product and worth it's money, if you actually recieve it that is.
This is not to **** anybody of or something, I just wanted to say it can work out the other way.. quite good.

Regards
Joris

Just my 2p experience from dealing with Allen Wright: I have purchased from him his 2 books (Preamp Cookbook, Cables Cookbook), a SuperReg kit and Mr. Wright was also very kind to sell me the assembly manuals of his RTP3C preamp.
Never had a problem dealing with him. Sometimes there might be a minor delay in his responses, but, after all, that's OK with me.

about emilespringer design, cut the choke

what if i cut the choke? whats happen if i replace them by use 0,3A for the raw dc and another 50mA transformer for the 15V. since it difficult to find those choke at my town. any Advice appeciate, thanks anyone..
best regards,
opik

Back to Basics of Super Regs

I wanted to canvas some opinion on super regs - that is, current sourced shunt regs.

1) Question 1 Opinions PLEASE - The concept of a super low noise supply to give added detail is simple to understand. The Current source provides high impedance to the the power supply filters and then the shunt reg provides low impedance to 0V - Thus attenuating the supply noise to next to nothing. How much better is the current source over a simple choke - lots of folk seem happy with a choke supply?

2) Question 2 Opinions PLEASE - I have seen another schematic (proprietry so I can't post it) where a 3 stage RC filter was used in the supply and then the shunt element was actively driven in antiphase from the audio source (rather than supply shift). Given the huge AC Impedance of the supply this is pretty much equivalent (i.e. the current variation in the actual audio stage develops a voltage drop on the rail to which the shunt reg responds in antiphase - It seems to me that there is an un-neccessary level of abstraction here). The VERY interesting thing about this was that it used about 60% of stage current through the active shunt reg and then FREQUENCY shaped it such that it had a fairly low corner frequency and did'nt operate much above 500Hz. It was claimed to be sonically superior. Is there any Sonic benefit in running the shunt reg up to 100's of Kilohertz?

3) Question 3 Opinions PLEASE - If we were to pay any credence to 2) above it would suggest that any current source biased diffamp stage, where the total current draw is fixed, would be just as happy running from a simple series reg??

PLEASE - your 2c worth would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ian

KT88 x 4 monos

Hello Ian, I just wished to ask what happened to the amps you were building using 4 KT's, the PCB1A and Hammond opt.
I saw the schemats and the description whilst browsing the Hammond site and it looked interesting.I've been considering building a pair of KT88 monos for a while could not find anything that took my fancy.These seem to fit the bill.Your comments would be appreciated. Simon.

Simon,
Wasn't aware that the design was on the Hammond Website. I know it was put on the Hammond project pages at Evatco. Should be 2 separate schematics (1 each for amp and power supply) and an accompanying "design description" document.
Link: http://www.evatco.com.au/project_files/kt88.htm
Just the single "prototype" monoblock done and sounding VERY good. I got side tracked with other projects (seduced by some Vandervenne Toroidal Output Trannies) and so all of the parts are sitting around waiting for me to build 2 off the final versions. The schematics you saw are the final version and nothing I've learned/tried since would tempt me to change the basic circuit. Having said that I should point out that these monoblocks are marginal on gain. There is'nt enough gain to add anymore feedback than shown, BUT then I'don't believe anymore feedback is required. Well balanced BIG powerful sound, perhaps not ultimate HiFi but damned good and it does have that "tube sound" - 128W into 4 Ohms at clipping, 138W in hard saturation.
I'm tossing up whether to do these as the next project or a Vandervenne "Super Triode" with VDV2100-CFB/H Trannies (30% Ultralinear + 10% Cathode Feedback).
Cheers,
Ian

KT88 amps.

Hello Ian. Thanks for the reply.You are quite correct about the info being on the evatco site.I just accessed it through the Hammond site.If I decided to have a go at building a pair of these would you be able give me better details?I can't find any mention of the mains transformer type and why is V3 fed from another 6.3V tap? A lot of the other components either don't show a working voltage or a power rating.You'll have to forgive me but I'm not really a technical person but I can build stuff no problem,I just need putting on the right track.
Please excuse me if I've gone off your original thread here. I have found the site a bit awkward to navigate and I didn't really know where to start.Hopefully I shall improve as time goes on!
Thanks, Simon.

Simon,
V3 is a Cathode Follower with Cathode at approx +200V. I had a separate heater winding available so I used it tied to +200v to keep heater cathode voltage to safe limits. The Power trannies are something I had wound locally for just this project.
Will PM you with contact details for further questions.
Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.