• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Screen grid driver for PL519?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Inspired by this ( http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/technoteNo33.html )
article I decided to give screen grid drive a try a while ago.
I made a prototype similar to circuit 1 in my drawing:

The amp worked quite well (except for some PSU issues that doesn´t belong here), actually good enough to be built properly.
Since the amp is DC-coupled it is sensitive to bias drift, that´s why I used a mu follower input stage.

Long after I made the proto the idea came that perhaps I can get rid of the 12B4 cathode follower if the top half of the input stage already is a cathode follower?

Half a 6SN7 wouldn´t be enough to feed the PL519 (10mA static current and 20mA peaks), but maybe a Mosfet or a high mu, high gm triode would? See drawings 2 and 3.

So, what do you think?

Attachments

• sg-drive.jpg
    sg-drive.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 480
I'd recommend the IRF820. Acutal in-circuit gm is 100 mA/V which is absolutely nuts compared to valve's.

you could also run a straight triode amplifier, and then CF with a cascoded pair of MOSFET's. The input capacitance of the cascode is quite even and unlike the variable and funky single-gate capacitance. The input gate will be a higher Z load than the DCR of the reference voltage divider you'd use for the bias-ing function.
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.