• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Interesting ways to mount toroidal transformers.

I'm ordering parts for a 6L6 PP UL amplifier. I'll be using a toroidal transformer.
I would like to see some different ways people have mounted them. I've used the metal pill box, square covers, etc. I would like to mount it vertically this time. I've seen the U shaped and L brackets. But I would like to do something different. I want to maybe use rod end bolts. One on each side with a bolt going through the middle of the transformer. But I can't find anything like a 5" diameter shrink tubing to cover the mylar covering of the transformer.
I would like to wind up with a more finished look. I've been looking for something like a plastic clam shell to cover the windings. So what have others here done to mount a toroidal transformer vertically?

It should be possible to have an elegant solution à la Quad II, with the transformers on their sides inside housings, and I think there is definitely a marketing opportunity out there for the right idea.

I have a plan to use 3 toroids with covers as the feet of an amplifier, protuding from a wooden plinth. It would be nice to see some creative solutions instead of a metal chassis with 3 transformers.

I think there would be a market also for housings to allow vertical mounting. Something like a clam shell affair with a hollow tube on one side to go through the hole in the transformer with a bolt going through to hold it all together. It would have to be non metallic though. My first thought was shrink tubing to cover the windings. But I couldn't find any with a 5" diameter. Or at leased L or U rackets that don't look so utilitarian. Maybe dipping the transformer in a poly coating?

Joined 2015
Paid Member
This kind of plastic objects can be 3D printed easily at low cost. If you have the STL or STP file, there are plenty of services that will give you a online instant quote. Be sure to select a high temperature thermoplastic (I would avoid generic ABS or PLA). Most materials can be painted.

Well, they do look like wheels, and dual mono needs four of them.
That's what I did with a little fun project!:D

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 514
That's what I did with a little fun project!:D

I acually thought about a rubber or plastic tire off of a kids toy.
I'll probably hit up the local hardware and Home Depot stores and see what I can find that will work for me. I am going to try the rod end bolts though. Someone posted a picture of a couple amplifiers here on DIY they build and sell that used the rod end bolts to mount the toroidal power and out the transformers vertically. I just couldn't make out what was used to cover the windings. It looked like black shrink tubing? I liked how it looked.

Last edited: