• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Interesting ways to mount toroidal transformers.

Here is my GM70 amp with the filiment power supply and driver tube B+ in the green chassis. I mounted the toroidal in back under a custom chopper air cleaner.

Attachments

• DD05831A-E6E0-40EC-A164-16FD37237E43.jpg
    DD05831A-E6E0-40EC-A164-16FD37237E43.jpg
    992.7 KB · Views: 275
When using a bolt through the middle of a toroid you have to watch out that it doesn't make an additional single turn with the chassis and bracket.
The bolt, bracket and chassis becomes a shorted winding over the secondaries and will overload/overheat the primary,
until something melts or burns, hopefully the fuse.

Don't forget, no shorted turns allowed from the mounting hardware.

Hah! In the 80s I did some consulting for a company making a piece of broadcast TV gear. It was a one RU chassis and they made a C shaped bracket with the toroidal transformer inside and a bolt through the center clamping it all together.

The young engineer on staff was baffled why the line fuse kept blowing and was blaming the transformers.

Hey, nothing beats practical experience. College doesn't teach you everything you need to know.

They solved it with a nylon washer under the screw head. I didn't like that for long term reliability but that was not my area of work.

Last edited:
It claims to drive 60W into 8 ohms, yet the output tubes are 125mA maximum rated, 8 of them can manage 1A at best. Some strange new meaning of 60W I wasn't previously aware of I guess.
125mA is average, not peak rating.

A 6AS7G operating in Class B can peak at about 350mA with reasonable reliability in a HiFi application.

350mA peak -> (0.35*0.707*8tubes)^2 * 8ohm = 31Watts at clipping

Where they get 60Watts is probably assuming it's driving a square wave with 350mA peaks -> (0.35*8)^2 * 8 = 63Watts into 8ohm, or they have a looser idea of what 'reasonable reliability' is and allow the current to peak much higher.

Last edited:
While this particular build isn’t a *tube* amplifier, it does show an interesting way to mount toroids. I will likely mount the power and output trafos this way when I get around to that kilowatt tube amp using a bunch of LW6’s driving an Antek 15T950. There is a 6U box waiting for that build.

Attachments

• 7D7AFC9A-5894-4A0A-9156-4266961F4053.jpeg
    7D7AFC9A-5894-4A0A-9156-4266961F4053.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 106
This is kind of what I'm going for. I stole the picture from a other thread. I noticed the rod end bolts are isolated from the chassis with rubber washers or grommets. I'll probably use a section of an inner tube to cover the windings so it looks better than the mylar wrap.
I may also cut out the chassis to recess the transformer just enough to hide the wiring.
I have one more small parts order and I can start building the 6L6 PP amplifier.

Attachments

• ota2_710.jpg
    ota2_710.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 77