• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

B+ regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What are you looking for (Volts, amps, how much ripple is tolerable, etc)? What kind of thoughts or ideas do you want to hear? Depending on your replies and needs your post could perhaps elicit more responses in the “Power Supplies” Forum than here.

If you are just looking for a “good” HV regulator to power a tube amplifier you may want to look at Jan Didden’s HV regulator.

Group Buy for Jan's high voltage regulator

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You might find some improvement in the bass with a shunt regulator. The power supply has to be built to supply the extra current to run it though. . . . and the degree of benefit probably depends on the circuit and the regulator.

There's a lot of info in a general search , a lot concentrated here .
For tube amp B+ voltages there are some kits available , the highest voltage limit in a kit I've seen is 600VDC on K&K Audio's site.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
There are many ways to skin this cat, yes. But I think the OP wanted a solid state solution.
Jan

Yes, preferably solid state.
Good circuits here to research- I'll add in a design. When first PC board is designed, I add as many options as can fit for evaluation during testing. Revised PC board has results of testing, maybe final option added such as UL or no UL for OT upgrade down the road.
Thanks,
Jim

B+ is only 300V in my case,
3A would include a margin as that would be the maximum peak power that would be rare in practice.

It's a PP 6P45S triode connected - they can and will peak 1.5A each channel at full blast if there's a transient... On average, the current stays below 1A though, and idle is 80mA per tube. The load is ~1k plate to plate...

Audio Note M7 Line Preamp

This is a very basic but reliable regulator. You can change component values for different voltages. Make sure the MOSFET you use has internal protective diodes or add them to this circuitry. The IRF420 is just one example, there are lot’s of better MOSFET’s available.

I built several using various MOSFET’s, one of them does 600 VDC @ 500 mA (continuous load...).

Regards, Gerrit

Attachments

• C7BA22F6-0E8F-42F7-9EB4-810182CDA656.png
    C7BA22F6-0E8F-42F7-9EB4-810182CDA656.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.