• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The classis Push pull vs Single ended question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Michal.
Two questions for you:

- Do you have any experience with DIY handwinding transformers?
- do you have good nerves?

I was DIYed myself OPTs for my "second" SET with 6C33C.

C cores, G10 (PCB material) bobin, insulation is a modern paper/mylar and teflon from russian teflon capacitors and Sowter principle of winding with 4 secondarys.

Very old and bad pic, sorry.
Hi, I have no experience with winding my own OPTs. Maybe when I will get some good core and bobbin.
But I have no idea how to calculate good OPT. I can only calculate the transformation ratio :D
by the way great work, how does it sound?

Only if a PP is in perfect balance, you have even harmonic distortion cancelation.

So if you put a PP out of balance, you get even harmonic distortion. You can even set it up so that you can choose how much even harmonic distortion you'll want.

This will get you the better bass and power of a PP and the nice even harmonic of a SE, that suits your taste.

The solid state and glass state options drive the B+ voltage way up. Plate chokes are a reasonable choice.

Whilst I fully appreciate the desire and interest in winding your own OPT, I make one suggestion:

Using 6C33C, the winding doesnt have to be very good to perform OK. Hey, you could probably use a power transformer, given the low Ra of such a valve. It's a lot easier to wind an OPT when the turns ratio N is small.

Different story using EL84 triode strapped

It's a lot easier to wind an OPT when the turns ratio N is small.

Doesn't really after a certain, let's say, 5:1 ratio. :)

After this, the secondary layers can be considered as almost ground potential. So care in reducing P to S capacitance comes mostly from the potential gradients of the primary layers. The anode is the hottest, because it swings voltage. The layers starting from the anode should be far from from the secondary layers.

You want single ended sound, but better bass. You have a set of push pull transformers that have good bass response. You have single ended transformers that are lacking in bass.

You like the mids and highs of your single ended amplifier.

Generalizations:
For amplifiers without negative feedback:

Single Ended has dominant 2nd harmonic distortion
Single Ended has relatively non-linear damping of the woofer over the positive and negative excursions.

Push Pull has dominant 3rd harmonic distortion
Push Pull has relatively linear damping of the woofer over the positive and negative excursions.

So try this:
Build a push pull amplifier (*):
Set the phase invertor to have a slightly unbalanced amplitude of the in-phase versus the out-of-phase signals.
Now, you have dominant 2nd harmonic distortion; and you have relatively linear damping of the woofer over the positive and negative excursions.
And you have the better output transformers that are capable of good bass.

One more thing, do you have, or can you borrow, an amplifier that has good bass, and test it on your open baffle speakers?
You will not get better bass with a new amp than you get with that borrowed amplifier.
I have heard some very good bass from some open baffle speakers, but not all open baffle speakers.
But I am betting with the proposed push pull amplifier above (*), you are likely to be very satisfied.

Happy Building and Happy Listening.

Last edited:
The alternative solution: Magnavox had a three channel amplifier: SE for the mid / treble and a single push pull for the bass.
Hmmm. Maybe I can make a good stereo pushpull, add some less sensiive woofer to my open baffle panels and play this way. Plus the fullrange driver which now plays everything will play only mids so more clean sound.
I can test some normal transistor amplifier to get good bass :D

So try this:
Build a push pull amplifier (*):
Set the phase invertor to have a slightly unbalanced amplitude of the in-phase versus the out-of-phase signals.
Now, you have dominant 2nd harmonic distortion; and you have relatively linear damping of the woofer over the positive and negative excursions.
And you have the better output transformers that are capable of good bass.

This is what I said, in other words.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.