• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Shure M65 and clones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Increase voltage?

The M65 circuit is actually capable of very nice audio quality, but the output loading limitations must be respected. For some hands-on experience, look on AudioAsylum for posts by “InterstageTranny.” I built a hardwired M65 phono following ITranny’s advice and using top quality parts, and it is an excellent performer with a 100K load.

As far as I am concerned, the Chinese copy isn’t a clone at all. It just uses a similar audio schematic. A real M65 has AC powered heaters, a selenium rectifier for the B+, very low B+ voltage, and ultra-compact point-to-point wiring.

Got the same DIY kit as the owner of this thread but I really wish to build one hardwired....meanwhile I'll build this Chinese kit and try with my modest setup and my Shure M75D cartridge.
The M65 runs on 100V ac as the thematic indicates....so I was wondering...
as the 12AX7 can handle up to 250v plate voltages, can I safely apply 127v instead of 100v?

regards!

Hello, i made the same kit and my experience is nice warm crispy tube smell in sound, but i have another problem, noticeable low bass...unfortunately i dont have a transformer with 100V AC, so i used just 78V AC, could that be a problem?

I am also quiet new to this...

Thank you for discussion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.