• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Upgrade Douk 6p1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello :)
is it possible to upgrade this amp ? i want little more gain or bass.
when i open the amp this is what i see
2x 450V 22uF KMG
2x 50V 220uF NXB
2x 25V 100uF LXV
4x 0.22uf 400V
2x 450V 150u
I heard there is option to upgrade the caps etc..
anybody know if its possible to upgrade and get more gain or bass?
thank you very much
8588e4ffb7.jpg.500x500.jpg

Hi bloo...
You need to post a picture/schematic, since all the capacitors you´ve mentioned in post1
are not the way to go or it won´t make any difference. There´s better be some foil caps too. With their values and combined resistor values maybe something can be done. You are certainly in the right forum :)

Hi
I do not find any schematic for this amp...the only info i found is :
Output power: 6.8W * 2
Frequency response: 20Hz-20KHz
Input impedance: 100 ohms

SNR: 90db
Input Sensitivity: 500mv-2000mv
Harmonic distortion: 1% (1KHz)
Tube: 5z4p * 1 6H8C * 2 6p1 * 4

thank you

Without a schematic, one could only guess. Looks to me (guess) you have a push pull 6P1(P) output circuit. If that is the case, the + 220uf 50V capacitor should be connected to pin 3 (cathode) of the two 6P1Ps. Parallel to it, could be a 250 ohms 3-4W or so resistor. In that case (circularity), Changing the 220uF and 250R resistor some, can effect the operating point of the amplifier. DO read the "working with high voltage post" (in this forum) before you work on this.

Thank you,
but im from europe ,here its 220V

measure also your mains voltage.
I am also in Europe and supposed to be around 220v but I am more often between 240 e 250Vac which poses problem for the primary of the transformer of power and on the tension of heating.
I bought a lot of voltage LEDs with direct display on the net, so I can read my line voltage live and I think you will be surprised!
at home, low voltage = 224Vac
high voltage = 253Vac, I live in the city

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...my speaker is 85Db sensitivity. ...

An old guide is that a home hi-fi should deliver 108 dB SPL on peaks.

For 85dB rated speakers, this needs 200 Watts.

Or a 2*6.5W amplifier with 85dB SPL speakers will give 96dB SPL peaks. "Comfortable listening level" of 85dB SPL long term average has only 10dB headroom for peaks which may reach 15dB-18dB, so will clip ("fuzz") the loud parts. Another 6dB, 4X the power, will make a major difference. Ot aim for 85+6= 91dB SPL speakers, which will play pretty-OK on 2*6.5W.

Next week i will get the Klipsch RP-160M they are 97db
i hope it will be better

OK, I came here from your other thread.

Moving from speakers that are rated at 85 db to ones that are rated 97 db will make a big difference.

How much difference? If you use an amp with twice the wattage with your current speakers the result is a 3 db increase in sound level. Every time you double the wattage you get another 3 db increase. So if you change to speakers that are 12 db more efficient it's the equivalent of doubling the amp power four times.

To put it another way, it would be the equivalent of using your 85 db speakers with an amp that puts out 108.8 watts per channel.

Have you gotten the Klipsch speakers yet?

Don't be in such a hurry to change amps. Use your current amp with the more efficient speakers for a while before making any amp changes.

I'll make some comments on your amp tomorrow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.